Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Both are unlocked.

The T-Mobile version is the exact same iPhone with the exact same unlock status as the SIM free version. The only difference is it ships with a T-Mobile SIM card inside.

Why would you return it for the exact same phone and waste your time?

They both are the same.

THIS. Oh my god I'm so sick of these annoying threads with the same question over and over.

TC Why are you stressing about returning a phone only to exchange it for the EXACT SAME PHONE? Just toss the Tmobile sim card.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I know they r selling sim free 5s now.Thats what I wanna return my tmobile one & get a sim free one from apple.com as they r not in stock at retail stores yet. Not sure if it's worth all the trouble though.btw apple gonna open the phone even if it's still shrink wrapped?? That's sad! Maybe they should invest on a special iphone X-ray machine!

They do this just in case some cleaver wacko tries to pull a fast one, and open the package, and remove something (iPhone), and replace it with a rock, re-package it, and get credit for it. YES, it can be done, and Apple will avoid this by opening the package, and see what's inside. You must be young, and have not been around much but this has happen. Even customers have received an empty iPhone box by UPS if you read up on this forum on a regular basis.

Google it and find some stories on this.

https://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-947348.html

Maira10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Well it's surely not gonna do it itself. It's already been stated that it can be returned in the store.

Really? & I thought it was smart enough to do it itself! Jokes apart as u already know I can't return it myself so have to wait until my parents makes the trip to apple store. In the meantime what's the problem if I want assurance & advice from this forum? Actually now I am not sure if it's worth the trouble if the tmobile 5s is just as unlocked + sim.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
I know they r unlocked but I heard uncomfortable stories! Like I heard if try to active your phone with the tmobile phone outside USA for the first time it becomes a brick & refuses to accept any SIM card!! Only apple could unlock it then but unfortunately I won't have access to apple in my country.i also heard if u active that sim with a plan in USA then Tmobile could lock it? R they just baseless rumors or should i be worried?
Absolutely none of that is true. You will be fine activating the T-Mobile 5s outside of the U.S. because it is unlocked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.