Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DelMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
Hey guys. I purchased a 32GB Wifi version from the Apple online store. The screen is great, nice and white. Unfortunately 32GB isn't enough for me now so I bought the 64GB version from my local Best Buy store since none of the Apple stores near me had any in stock. It didn't take long for me to realize that the rMini from Best Buy is duller and has a yellowish looking backlight compared to the nice bright white I was shipped from the Apple store. Now I have to return the Best Buy rMini that I paid $640 in cash and hope they give me my money back on the spot but am not sure since I read that if it's over $600 in cash they'll mail a check. And on top of that, I got an email from Seaturtle informing me that my local Apple store has 64GB rMinis in stock now, so I have to go there as well and exchange the rMini for the 64GB and hope the screen is as good as the first one I bought online. I've never returned any Apple products and now I have to deal with Best Buy and Apple in the same day. I'm going as soon as they open today and get it all out of the way. I'm a little confused though as to what I should do to make things easier. An exchange at Best Buy and return at Apple or return at Best Buy and an exchange at Apple? Your input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
If you want your money back, you need to go to Best Buy. If you want to exchange because it is defective, go to Apple.

shadowyman

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2013
Mine has IR but lucky that it's whiter than all ipad minis I've seen so far. I don't know why but mine colors are whiter and whites kinda look bluish tint of white.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have my rMini and so far I'm happy with the screen. I'm thankful and relieved there's no yellowing. The screen does seem a tad darker at the same brightness level but I figure that's more because of the pixel density.

OP, if you're not happy with the screen then by all means return it. These things cost too much money for you to settle.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Returns at BB or Apple are no problem. Not sure what the angst is about. The only reason either would mail you a refund check is if you paid by check less that 10 days ago. Honestly who pays anything by check anymore?

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
The issue is very real. But the refund at BB should be no issue; same for the exchange at Apple. You could also just try an exchange at Best Buy. If it works out, return the other one via Apple store online.

Whatever you end up doing, make sure you check the display in the store.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
If you want your money back, you need to go to Best Buy. If you want to exchange because it is defective, go to Apple.

just don't exchange @apple and then end up later wanting a refund..it will be difficult if you do.

If you want to leave the option open, exchange at BB.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
If it were me, I'd keep the 32 GB and make do. It's going to be hard to get another perfect screen like that unless you get lucky.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I purchased 2 one with cellular for work and the other I had planned to give as a gift for Christmas. After hearing about the screen issues, decided I better check out the one I had purchased for a gift. It's wifi only. The screen on it as best I can tell has no retention issues and even color top to bottom, left to right.

However, the cellular model has a very noticeable yellow tint along the bottom edge near the home button. It goes up about an inch and then gets lighter as it goes to the top. The top looks great though. Nonetheless I opted to return this one as I has purchased it via the online store.

I am disappointed. I am not sure if I am going to gift this wifi version or keep it now. I really wanted a cellular model, but I am just not up for buying and returning over and over. If they had them locally I would be more apt to do it.

So, YES the yellowing is a real issue, not doubt about it. However, there are some out there that are just fine. It's sort of the luck of the draw!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.