Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snarfquest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2013
I'm getting grey screen of death and the video card fans are going to max on boot all of a sudden tonight on my ATI 7970.

If I put my ATI HD 5770 back my system runs normal.

My system ran fine for a few months. I bought the 7970 from you in Sept or so. Tonight it just decided to go wacho.

Help! Please :)

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Texas
I'm getting grey screen of death and the video card fans are going to max on boot all of a sudden tonight on my ATI 7970.

If I put my ATI HD 5770 back my system runs normal.

My system ran fine for a few months. I bought the 7970 from you in Sept or so. Tonight it just decided to go wacho.

Help! Please :)

Interesting 'help desk'. I guess we may as well all benefit from the discussion :rolleyes:

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
The first question MVC will ask is "Did you change anything in your MP on the day the card failed? Did you install some software or take the card out to fit other hardware?"

I assume you have checked his eBay store for his preferred contact and support details?

snarfquest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2013
No hardware changes. I installed StarTrek online beta. Which is crashing a lot.

Looking for ideas really. I doubt the card just up and failed. It is strange that I cannot even do a safe boot, nor can I get it to boot from a Mavericks USB stick.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
You might be able to resolve this quicker if you just PM (private message) MVC.
Or better yet, was there a contact or tech support email sent along with your order?

Anyway, try some direct way of contacting MVC seems best. MVC might never happen to see this thread.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Anyway, try some direct way of contacting MVC seems best. MVC might never happen to see this thread.

Given the active involvement that MVC takes in this forums I highly doubt he could miss it. Although if he did miss it then it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong but don't tell my wife I said that. You are right though about the direct contact.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Given the active involvement that MVC takes in this forums I highly doubt he could miss it. Although if he did miss it then it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong but don't tell my wife I said that. You are right though about the direct contact.

MOD NOTE: MacVidCards is currently in time-out, so even if he sees this thread he will be unable to respond here until he returns.

Please do not speculate on the nature of his infraction or when he will be back, as that is against the forum rules. If you have some other way of contacting him, please use it!

B

snarfquest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2013
I'm in contact with MVC via email and he's helping me out.

Some updated info....

Since then I took the 7970 and put it in my older MacPro 3,1 and it came up fine there and fan speeds normal. I then brought it back to my 5,1 2012 MacPro and it booted once. I then rebooted to Windows Bootcamp just to check and it hung at the boot disk select (from holding option). I then force powered it off (only choice) then tried to boot OSX again and it grey screened once again. So I pulled the card out and put the 5770 back in and tried for grins to launch StarTrek Online beta and it worked perfectly which is interesting as it is a crash fest with the 7970. I rebooted into Windows and STO worked perfectly in Windows too. This morning I thought of giving it another go so I put the 7970 back in and like magic it booted up without an issue. I haven't booted Windows yet nor have I tried StarTrek Online yet. Kind of afraid to! :) So I still have many things to test.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I have not seen that in the forum rules, can you please show me where in the rules is says that?

MOD NOTE: It's covered in various sections of the Moderation FAQ. Since the guides are down after the hack, the rules and FAQ are less accessible than usual. Sorry!

Moderation is carried out in private between the moderated user and the staff, and is only allowed to be discussed in Site and Forum Feedback. Anywhere else it's considered Off Topic and can be removed.

Anything else is not fair to the user and/or the staff.

There are several threads in S&FF that discuss this in more detail. If you want further clarification, please find one of those or start a new thread there.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.