Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Hi, I'm on OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. I just came across a super bizarre problem I've never seen before! So I have an open document TextEdit. Only the TextEdit icon in the dock doesn't have the little indicator saying it's open, and if I right click it, it shows the option of Open. The open TextEdit document shows the menu bar options like normal, and I can use it like normal. But I can't close it from the dock because it already shows it as closed! I can only close the document from the menu bar. Also, I can open an new TextEdit document from the dock - but again, I can't close it from the dock, and the dock icon doesn't show it's active. In Activity Monitor, it shows TextEdit as active with 2 threads.

What's going on??

EDIT: I just noticed the same thing is true for iTunes! I'm playing iTunes, but the icon in the dock doesn't show it!

Last edited:

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I don't know what's going on but the usual answer is to run (do a restart first) Disk Utility and check your disk and repair permissions.

If the behavior is consistent and the above doesn't have any effect (and it probably won't), the next usual suggestion is create a new user account and see if the problem exists when you're logged in as the new user.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Thanks. I think my dock was corrupted, because when I opened an app that was not in the dock (from the applications folder), it would never appear in the dock.

Anyhow, I restarted, and the problem went away. Disk Utility doesn't show anything S.M.A.R.T status shows as "verified". I repaired permissions, but it didn't do anything, only the restart fixed things. Hope my HDD is not failing :(

Never had this issue before.

ufkdo

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
Turkey
If this occurs the next time, just type the following command in terminal:

Code:
killall Dock

It will restart Dock and problem will most likely go away without restarting the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.