Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Like another poster said, you're confusing specs with features. Maybe this helps:

Product feature:
businessdictionary.com:
A function of an item which is capable of gratifying a particular consumer need and is hence seen as a benefit of owning the item. In business, a product feature is one of the distinguishing characteristics of a product or service that helps boost its appeal to potential buyers, and might be used to formulate a product marketing strategy that highlights the usefulness of the product to targeted potential consumers.
So "feature" is a high-level marketing term that tells the average consumer what the highlights of the product are. OTOH, a spec-sheet tells a more technically-minded consumer exactly what's in the product. To be honest, I'm not sure many care about studying them or even see it as a productive use of their time.

Example:
  • ABS is a feature of a car. Average consumers understand what ABS is and it will factor into their buying decision.
  • Windshield is more of a spec item. Consumers won't care whether their next car's windshield is manufactured by Pilkington, St. Gobain or some other company. Sure, they're different, and some consumers will debate it tirelessly on the internet, but I don't think most care. (Quick. Without looking. What brand is your car windshield?)

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Ok, I give up. I was wrong. To majority of people here it is ok to say that iPad Air and iPad rMini are identical although iPad rMini has worse color reproduction and worse performance.

They are identical. Period.

Unfortunately, you should probably know better than to ask a question like this here. There are so many people blinded with "Apple Love" on this site, that they will excuse anything and everything the company does and say you are bad for even asking the question. I, like you, have been taught not to just accept what is fed to me if I feel it's not quite right, but I've learned that this is not the place to question it, for as much as you'd like to have an unbiased, reasonable discussion/debate, you mostly (but not always) won't get unbiased responses (and a lot of times, will just get plain insulted, because they can do that through the safety of a computer/keyboard).

Just like your buddy who's dating a girl who walks all over him and convinces him he must do whatever she says, and people all around him can see how's he's being treated, but he is so blinded that he find ways to excuse everything bad about that her, most likely just because she's hot and the occasional sex is good.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Unfortunately, you should probably know better than to ask a question like this here. There are so many people blinded with "Apple Love" on this site, that they will excuse anything and everything the company does and say you are bad for even asking the question.

I must be viewing a different site, because it seems to me that every positive comment made here is met with scorn from nearly everyone. This is not an Apple friendly site, and the majority of threads on this sub forum are complaints (as well as the posts inside of such a thread).

The OP started a thread in October 2012, stating quite simply that a Mini with a better screen a processor would be "huge" this year. He didn't ask for greater color saturation, nor that all of the markings on the processor be identical to the iPad 5. Well, guess what... That has been delivered.

Thinking for yourself is important. While buying toothpaste last night, I looked past the flashy labels, and examined the active ingredients. True story, and why I mentioned toothpaste earlier. CNET did run a story about the lower color gamut on the rMini, but the writer said it was something he had not noticed until reading about it. ;)

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
...As facts are that it has lower color gamut and lower clock speed. :confused:

The battery in the Mini has a smaller capacity, you should include that as a difference as well.

Sometimes it feels like Apple can't do anything right. Instead of putting a previous gen CPU/GPU in the Mini 2 like everyone expected, they used a slightly slower current-gen A7. What do they get for not skimping on the CPU? Someone using that slight difference in speed as a way to argue that Apple lied because the iPads are not 100% identical.

That being said, you are correct that they not 100% identical.

Last edited:

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
I must be viewing a different site, because it seems to me that every positive comment made here is met with scorn from nearly everyone. This is not an Apple friendly site, and the majority of threads on this sub forum are complaints (as well as the posts inside of such a thread).

The OP started a thread in October 2012, stating quite simply that a Mini with a better screen a processor would be "huge" this year. He didn't ask for greater color saturation, nor that all of the markings on the processor be identical to the iPad 5. Well, guess what... That has been delivered.

Thinking for yourself is important. While buying toothpaste last night, I looked past the flashy labels, and examined the active ingredients. True story, and why I mentioned toothpaste earlier. CNET did run a story about the lower color gamut on the rMini, but the writer said it was something he had not noticed until reading about it. ;)

FrankB,

While I agree with you that there are a number of people that complain, I equally see a number of people just ask an honest, simple question or ask for people's opinion or experience, and they get responses like "Oh will you people just shut up and stop complaining! If you don't like it, return it, and be quiet." I think it's about 50/50. I hesitate to ask simple questions if I'm having an issue or concern with one thing on a new device I just shelled out a boatload of cash for, for fear of being branded an apple hater. Quite the contrary, I own 3 iPhones, 1 iPod touch, and 4 iPads. So, I've spent my hard earned money with Apple, and have invested heavily in their ecosystem. So I think I have a right to occasionally question something they do (or don't do) if I feel it could have been done better or I don't understand why they did it a certain way. I think people need to realize that here, but on the flip side, the "Apple didn't do the gamut right, they suck!" posts don't help either... I think it's equally a mixed bag.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
The FTC's guidelines how it judges false advertising (from the FTC's site):

"The FTC looks at the ad from the point of view of the "reasonable consumer" - the typical person looking at the ad. Rather than focusing on certain words, the FTC looks at the ad in context - words, phrases, and pictures - to determine what it conveys to consumers."

"Reasonable Consumers" are not easily found on this site. ;):D

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
There are so many people blinded with "Apple Love" on this site, that they will excuse anything and everything the company does and say you are bad for even asking the question. I, like you, have been taught not to just accept what is fed to me

Just FYI, I'm sure you didn' t mean to do so, but the above makes you sound very full of yourself and dismissive of people who hold different priorities in evaluating whether a device is sufficient for their use.

As I'm sure you know, the reality is that many people really don't give a d@mn about screen gamut. That you do care is fine, but be careful not to seem that you arrogantly think what matters for you should matter for everyone else.

Last edited:

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I hesitate to ask simple questions if I'm having an issue or concern with one thing on a new device I just shelled out a boatload of cash for, for fear of being branded an apple hater.

By the same token, people who say they aren't bothered by a problem in a thread are branded as "kool-aid drinking apple apologists".

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
By the same token, people who say they aren't bothered by a problem in a thread are branded as "kool-aid drinking apple apologists".

I think his point (which he actually stated) was that it's pretty much impossible to have a reasonable discussion about much of anything. The fact is that there are posters who get rather strident in their defense of all things 'Apple'. To the point of being rude.

And while some posts do bring up complaints, those posters having issues are most often branded as 'haters' or paid shills. All electronics have issues. Many people (myself included) come to forums to research before buying. If every post is glowing then I learn nothing. I personally appreciate threads that deal with issues. Both the posts from those who are experiencing the problem and from those folks who aren't. But the rudeness and name-calling on either side certainly gets really, really old. It's neither civil nor adult.

In my opinion far too many posters seem to have their self-worth tied directly to Apple and seem to take it personally if someone dares bring up an issue. Don't take it wrong, but at times it really does feel rather 'cultish'.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Just FYI, I'm sure you didn' t mean to do so, but the above makes you sound very full of yourself and dismissive of people who hold different priorities in evaluating whether a device is sufficient for their use.

As I'm sure you know, the reality is that many people really don't give a d@mn about screen gamut. That you do care is fine, but be careful not to seem that you arrogantly think what matters for you should matter for everyone else.

deeddawg,

Thank you for pointing this out. You are correct, in that I did not mean it to sounds full of myself or dismissive of anyone. If that's how it came across, I gladly apologize.

The point I was trying to make, and you summed it up perfectly no less, is that for some people it doesn't matter, but for some it does. I'm the type of person where if I spend a lot of money on something that is supposed to be an upgrade, I do expect it to be better, or at least equally as good, as the previous version in pretty much all facets. That's just my own expectations.

The minute I turned my new rMini on, and went into a game I regularly play (Clash of Clans), I noticed the difference immediately, before I even read anything about there being a difference. Even before I held my iPad 3 side by side with it. Was I disappointed? Yes. Was I disappointed enough to return it? No, as I think a number of the other upgrades outweigh the negative.

I think we can all agree that it bothers some of us, and others are fine with it. But either way, hopefully we can have constructive debates without insults (from both sides).

----------

I think his point (which he actually stated) was that it's pretty much impossible to have a reasonable discussion about much of anything. The fact is that there are posters who get rather strident in their defense of all things 'Apple'. To the point of being rude.

And while some posts do bring up complaints, those posters having issues are most often branded as 'haters' or paid shills. All electronics have issues. Many people (myself included) come to forums to research before buying. If every post is glowing then I learn nothing. I personally appreciate threads that deal with issues. Both the posts from those who are experiencing the problem and from those folks who aren't. But the rudeness and name-calling on either side certainly gets really, really old. It's neither civil nor adult.

In my opinion far too many posters seem to have their self-worth tied directly to Apple and seem to take it personally if someone dares bring up an issue. Don't take it wrong, but at times it really does feel rather 'cultish'.

Thanks DonnaW. You helped explain what I was trying to say better than I did. :) I also appreciate the threads where people ask questions, and both side provide constructive feedback as well. That helps me determine whether it's just me having a problem, or if theres something bigger. Thanks!

----------

Agreed. Point taken.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
OMG...you're right!

All advertising copy is always 100% true! Ad copy NEVER exaggerates the qualities of a product.

It's always The Truth...and now Apple has written some ad copy that is...well...maybe just a bit less than 100%, Absolute Truth.

What is this world coming to!?:(

:rolleyes: <-------Note!

I don't know about the US, but in Europe it's illegal for advertisements to make claims that are not true. Imagine if this wasn't the case.....you'd have the most ridiculous claims.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I don't know about the US, but in Europe it's illegal for advertisements to make claims that are not true. Imagine if this wasn't the case.....you'd have the most ridiculous claims.

It's frowned upon here as well. And if that had been what Apple had done, well, that would be a heck of a story. But since it wasnt.... :apple:

comper

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Michigan
Don't forget:

Screen is smaller
Physical dimensions are different
Smaller battery

Also, iPad Airs are definitely not identical either because:

Different screen manufacturers / color calibrations
They may have been assembled in different factories
The internal components may come from different manufacturers as well

Until they fix these things, they definitely are not identical. Dammit, Apple! :mad:

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Don't forget:

Screen is smaller
Physical dimensions are different
Smaller battery

Also, iPad Airs are definitely not identical either because:

Different screen manufacturers / color calibrations
They may have been assembled in different factories
The internal components may come from different manufacturers as well

Until they fix these things, they definitely are not identical. Dammit, Apple! :mad:

The OP took the quote out of context. The entire ad line was:

"Feature for feature, it’s identical to iPad Air in every way. Except for its super-portable, hold-it-in-one-hand, still-just-right mini size."

So they're covered in terms of size.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
The OP took the quote out of context. The entire ad line was:

"Feature for feature, it’s identical to iPad Air in every way. Except for its super-portable, hold-it-in-one-hand, still-just-right mini size."

So they're covered in terms of size.

I agree. I have found people do not always think the way I do. There could also be a language thing.

Still on Blackberry?

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Do you think that Apple has maybe slipped from the truth when it says (in it's webpage) that:

"iPad mini with Retina display lets you do more than you ever imagined. Feature for feature, it’s identical to iPad Air in every way."

As facts are that it has lower color gamut and lower clock speed. :confused:

The clock speed difference is insignificant but I'm a little disappointed in the color gamut difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.