Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minnieoi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2013
Jonathan Ive's one-off Leica M camera fetches $1.8m at auction
leica-jon-ive-09

A one-off Leica M camera designed by Apple's own Jonathan Ive fetched more than $1.8m at Sotheby's yesterday, with the funds raised going to the fight against AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria

Author: Olivier Laurent

24 Nov 2013 Tags: AppleLeica

Carved out of a single piece of aluminum, the Leica M for (RED) was expected to fetch more than $750,000 at an auction to help raise funds to fight AIDS. That estimate was smashed yesterday when it went for $1,805,000.

First announced at Photokina 2012, the collaboration between Leica and Apple's Jonathan Ive was a dream-come-true for many collectors of Leica cameras. Designer Marc Newson also participated in the auction, helping create the camera's concept.

"From a design standpoint, it features a laser machined aluminum body and an anodized aluminum outer shell," Leica said when it presented the camera earlier this year. "A total of 561 models and nearly 1000 prototype parts were made during the 85 days it took to create of this unique, one of a kind camera."

The camera has a full-format CMOS sensor, high performance processor and new Leica APO-Summicron -M 50mm f/2 ASPH lens "representing the best in photography along with its innovative design," claims the German camera manufacturer.

A specially-designed Mac Pro for (RED) put to auction yesterday fetched $977,000.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Jonathan Ive's one-off Leica M camera fetches $1.8m at auction-

.... collaboration between Leica and Apple's Jonathan Ive was a dream-come-true for many collectors of Leica cameras. ...

Nope. It was a dream-come-true for one collector, dashed dreams for the several others (the unsuccessful bidders) and just a dream for the rest.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I wonder what he paid for it? Originally I mean.

I think you have misunderstood.

It's not Jonathan Ive's. He has designed a one-off Leica specifically with the intention of having it auctioned off for charity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.