Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
?..Ultimately its apples fault. I doubt they would lose much business with a restock fee of 10-30 percent.

You are kidding, right? Even Best Buy did away with the restocking fee. They'd lose a lot of business. Think about all the Macrumors posters that exchange iPads 7 times. What would they do?

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Never had any of these problems. So that's my experience.

If you think Apple's displays are unreasonable, then you should be giving up on the product after 2 or 3 tries MAX and either waiting until the "issues" are fixed, or you should go out and buy another product. Anyone that does more returns than that is trying to cherry-pick something out of the bin at the expense of everyone else. And let's be clear ... if the product wasn't that good in other respects, you wouldn't be returning it 6 times to begin with.

I agree that eventually you should just give up, I did.

I'm just stating that there are real issues with the screens, rattling buttons, and scratches.

People should not accept a faulty product, and if it takes a few returns to get an acceptable one, that's fine and within the consumers rights.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I agree. Anyone that would run a image retention test for 15 minutes to see if they have image retention has a few screws loose. What real world scenario would one need to do that? Yea, when I use my ipad, I leave it on the same image for 15 minutes and just stare at it. People are nuts.
Clearly you have not used your iPad for anything outside of games and media that constantly moves because ...
I can think of one. Cooking from a recipe on the iPad.
Of this. I use my iPad in the kitchen and have the settings turned off so that it stays on while I get through a recipe.

No. I have never returned anything to Apple. Like a normal person, I research products before buying them. And I call BS that you intended to keep the Air. Sounds like you bought the Air to tide you over until the rMini came out.
I research just about everything I buy and sometimes it just doesn't work out. Not that I am defending anyone who buys knowing what they want isn't out yet (iPad Air to iPad Mini) but sometimes research isn't going to help you if the product isn't right for you. On the other hand, if someone repeatedly returns things because they changed their mind, they deserve to be flagged.

I've returned a bunch of stuff. Looking back, I'm at about 15 items this year, just switching things around. Never heard of this.
I have yet to find an official policy on it but it has happened and will continue to happen. A right to refuse service is being exercised.
In that case, I'd be more concerned with spilling something on it than image retention.
Don't be silly. There are stands that will keep the iPad safer in the kitchen than it is even on someone's lap. In fact, since the iPad 1 I've used it in my kitchen extensively and you want to know how one iPad was damaged? Not in the kitchen.

OP: This store, as I said, has exercised their right to refuse service. While you may not agree that your returns were excessive, they have. I think you should have thought about the purchase more especially since a mini was available prior to. It wasn't the retina one, but the form factor hasn't really changed.

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
I agree that eventually you should just give up, I did.

I'm just stating that there are real issues with the screens, rattling buttons, and scratches.

People should not accept a faulty product, and if it takes a few returns to get an acceptable one, that's fine and within the consumers rights.

I'd be interested to know what is recorded as the reason for the return. Most of my genius appointments have been for dust under the screen (MacBook Pro, iphone) or dust under camera lens (iphone). I've also returned a MacBook for a faulty sleep sensor and had an out of warranty replacement for a scratched iphone screen. Of all of mine, I'd only say the last could have been legitimately refused by Apple.

I'd certainly say Apple should only flag users for excessive returns/replacements where there is no genuine problem shown and not for manufacturing defects.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY

I do agree with this even though excessive returns DO raise red flags as well they should. Its a tough call because like every other industry, a few jerks and "renters" ruin it for everyone else.

What makes sense to me is that the Apple stores and places like Best Buy had better start getting this data back to Apple. Like, I dunno - tell them you are getting a lot of exchanges or whatever. Maybe that will help? Unless the % of returns is actually miniscule to the % of units that get bought and kept.

Thats whay forums sometimes are the WORST place to go for info...people wouldnt ever buy anything since forums are littered with misery more than happiness ;) Every forum I visit - for cars, video gear, telescopes, etc ALL have more "angry" posts than happy ones. Just the way it is, Im afraid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.