Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darksparkz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2013
So I currently have a contract under VZW that isn't due for an upgrade yet, and I'd like to get the 5s now and then use it for TMO when my VZW contract is due.

Am I able to buy the new 'sim-free' unlocked 5s from Apple and call VZW to set it up so I can use it for now, then when my contract is due, I can use it for TMO GSM?

I know the VZW phones come unlocked for GSM right out of the box, but I don't believe I can purchase it from VZW without contract renewal.

Thanks!

boondocks

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2013
So I currently have a contract under VZW that isn't due for an upgrade yet, and I'd like to get the 5s now and then use it for TMO when my VZW contract is due.

Am I able to buy the new 'sim-free' unlocked 5s from Apple and call VZW to set it up so I can use it for now, then when my contract is due, I can use it for TMO GSM?

I know the VZW phones come unlocked for GSM right out of the box, but I don't believe I can purchase it from VZW without contract renewal.

Thanks!

I believe the "sim free" version sold by apple will not be accepted by Verizon to be used on their network.

However you can purchase from VZW full-price without contract renewal
(1) At an apple store (in person only), or
(2) Online from Verizon as described here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1675136/

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Boondocks is correct.

If you go to an Apple Store, be sure to specify Verizon 5S "device only." Full price.

Device only comes with a VZ SIM, which you can take out and substitute with a GSM.

The advantage is that if you want to go back to VZ later, you can because it is a VZ phone.

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
Heys Guys

I went to Apple stoe smith haven Ny today and they deny me to buy a simfree ATT/T mobile/ Verzion model. They told it has to activated before it leaves the store :(

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Heys Guys

I went to Apple stoe smith haven Ny today and they deny me to buy a simfree ATT/T mobile/ Verzion model. They told it has to activated before it leaves the store :(

Buy a VZW iPhone full price. The VZW version is the only version that will work on Verizon because Verizon doesnt like activating non-verizon branded phones because they're silly like that.

if you're not due for an upgrade or don't want to extend your contract, just tell them that and pay the full price. They'll do it for you.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Heys Guys

Tell them you want to buy device only.

----------

Thanks!
Buy the Verizon version from the Apple store full priced device only or order it directly from Verizon's website. To order directly from Verizon without a contract follow the instructions here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1675136/

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Buy a VZW iPhone full price. The VZW version is the only version that will work on Verizon because Verizon doesnt like activating non-verizon branded phones because they're silly like that.

They flat out refuse to activate non-"Verizon" phones; they claim it is necessary to protect their network from rogue hardware (!)

seriously?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Heys Guys

my wife just bought me a Verizon iPhone 5S yesterday at full price to replace my iPhone 5. they let her pay in full ($801) and walk out without it being activated. if you buy it as an upgrade, then yes they will require it to be activated. just say its a gift. buying it outright shouldn't need to be activated first.

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
my wife just bought me a Verizon iPhone 5S yesterday at full price to replace my iPhone 5. they let her pay in full ($801) and walk out without it being activated. if you buy it as an upgrade, then yes they will require it to be activated. just say its a gift. buying it outright shouldn't need to be activated first.

Thanks. I think the empolyee I dealt with yesterday was a moron

Qoo

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
MI
Thanks. I think the empolyee I dealt with yesterday was a moron

Just tell them that you need 'Device Only' and paid in full price and i am sure they would let you buy it, otherwise ask for the store manager.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.