Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arekusandaa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
In the Mac line, the iMac is the odd product out because it shares a prefix with the non-Mac lineup, i.e. the iPhone, iPod and iPad. While I find the name iPad Air to be horribly unnecessary — what comes next, iPad Pro? — for what could just be considered a thinner generation of iPad, I enjoy the notion of the Mac lineup having a full coherence of product names. Compare:

iMac, Mac Pro, Mac mini, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air

v.s.

Mac Air, Mac Pro, Mac mini, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air

The issue is always product recognition and an established brand name as with e.g. iTunes. However, the public wasn't decimated by the discontinuation of the eMac, or the iBook, and so on. A product called the Mac Air would have recognition value because of the modifier Air, which would identify it as "a thin, lightweight Mac".

Of course, with the exponential march of technology, we may soon have nothing but Mac nano.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Doesn't make much sense to add "Air" to a product that isn't carried around. The whole point of the "Air" in the MBA and iPad Air is that they are very light and easy to carry around.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Model names for Apple products do not have to follow a rigid naming convention. The MacBook Air and iPad Air are named such because they are thin and light compared to their couterparts in the MacBook or iPad line.

It would make no sense to name the iMac "Air", as it is the heaviest of all Mac models being sold. There's nothing "airy" about it.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
People would get confused between mac air and macbook air. I know there is mac pro and macbook pro, but the air models are more consumer level so i can see confusion. I hear many people calilng their macbook air's just simply mac air, especially in non english speaking countries.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
It would make no sense to name the iMac "Air", as it is the heaviest of all Mac models being sold. There's nothing "airy" about it.

This and they have had the name since the iMac came out (1998?). Why change it now? When people hear iMac they know exactly what product it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.