Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrhick01

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
Apple BY FAR makes the most money from their tablets, Samsung makes some and I imagine Amazon might be making a profit now on their Kindles.

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Canalys predicts that Apple's share of the tablet market will shrink further in 2014 under the continued onslaught of less expensive Android and Windows tablets.

And Apple doesn't care. Apple recognized from the beginning that there is a market for cheap tablets. That's not rocket science. What you won't see is Apple trying to infiltrate that market.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
iOS really needs to support "shared folders" across apps, keeping the robustness of apps sandboxing, but allowing the user to share files across apps (always as a request from the user, not an app request, since the later would be dangerous). Without this, I cannot see any iPad use other than net surfing or fun.

You apparently don't own an iPad.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
"Shipped" is meaningless. Microsoft and Samsung both shipped huge numbers of units, and both had huge numbers that didn't sell. Like nearly a billion dollars worth, each.

What matters is "sold" not shipped. If you look at sold then Apple does far better.

Even more important is sold and then buys again. Again Apple does far, far better.

Quality matters.

This again... Search these forums and/or look at Apple's financial filing.

Apple reports shipped as sold when selling to retailers and carriers.

Also, look up the term "write down" in regards to your "Like nearly a billion dollars worth, each." statement.

Will do good

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Earth
"Shipped" is meaningless. Microsoft and Samsung both shipped huge numbers of units, and both had huge numbers that didn't sell. Like nearly a billion dollars worth, each.

What matters is "sold" not shipped. If you look at sold then Apple does far better.

Even more important is sold and then buys again. Again Apple does far, far better.

Quality matters.

Couldn't agreed more. They are also using worldwide numbers. There will always be budget buyer in India, China etc that's looking to buy cheaper stuffs.

----------

as long as there's the nokia lumia twenty-five-twenty four-gee tablet with keyboard, ipad is doomed.

:d

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
The important thing to consider isn't that apple will inevitably lose market share to low cost competitors but rather that apple is likely going to make more money next year on iPads than they did this year. I am willing to bet they do and that's all that really matters.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
And people called Apple crazy for saying they'd dominate the market :p

Steve envisioned this a few years ago.
This is pretty standard fair for Apple. Even back way way way in the day.

Apple, due to their closed nature, and "premium" pricing has always been niche player in any mature ecosystem.

What People forgot in the last decade was they led in 3 major platforms not because of "being the best". but because they were "first" (thats in quotes cause they were never actually first to market, just leaders in new market segments)

The iPod market? They led the mp3 player market for the first little while because they were one of the first and best devices in a brand new emerging market. Nobody had done mp3 players quite like apple till then. But once the Mp3 player market became mature, Apple no longer was the dominante #1 player.

Similar for Smartphone. Apple was one of the leaders in full screen touch devices. one of the first, and one of the first to really push and market them well. They also took advantage of their history in the ipod market to gain traction. While the Smartphone market was emerging, and therefore seeing the greatest % growth, Apple was at the forefront because they were early to the game and making a fantastic product. Again. now that Smartphones are a mature market. Apples Closed system and premium pricing isn't the #1 choice for devices anymore.

This is going to carry on to Tablets. same concept. Emerging Market that nobody really did right before, they are all over and able to leap ahead. Now that the Tablet market is mature, we're seeing the shift to other manufacturers again.

Why does this keep happening?

Choice. Apple maintains closed ecosystems with premium pricing. Technology isn't a "one size fits all" and so far, each mature marketplace that Apple helped Pioneer, have moved overall towards one of the competitors providing more substancial choices, resulting in overall more sales going elsewhere.

Please dont read this as me attacking apple in any way. this is their business. it's always been their business. And now as Tablets are a mature product segment with hundreds, if not thousands of manufacturers making tablets ranging in size from 5" cheap single core 512mb ram device, to the highest end windows tablets with haswell CPU's

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Not sure if I'm missing the boat here on the iPad. It's a nice device, but just can't see owning one as my only computer.

I say that because buying one to sit between my expensive Retina MacBook Pro and iPhone 5s would be big time Apple overkill and would surely render one of those devices as a very pricey dust collector.

I could "get by" with just an iPad, but I guess I'd rather have the do-everything Mac and get my iOS experience from my iPhone which is the same thing only smaller.

One Bad Duck

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2005
The next generation won't be about hardware it is going to be about software. Any old Chinese manufacturer can give you a tablet that means you can surf the web and watch movies.

The reason you will get an iPad is the seamless integration of your files and intuitive nature of how it is presented to you will be the USP. Trouble is, this is very difficult to sell unless you lock someone into your ecosystem. Apps that interact with devices outside the phone that are essential to your life like your car, household appliances locks etc. This is the future.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
The tablet can't replace a laptop. Not yet.

I don't know about that, at least not if we're including all tablets. We're looking at these at work. i5 processor (sure not a quad-core or anything, but it's not any of that Atom BS at least), up to 8GB RAM, regular size hard drive, 64-bit OS support...the dock accessory even supports dual monitors.

Drawback...Windows 8 :rolleyes:

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Agreed, Android phones are really nice in terms of OS. Android tablets though are missing one thing and that is apps that are designed specifically for a tablet. I am sure there are some, the last Android tablet I owned was a Galaxy tab 10.1 and I really didn't care for it at all. After that I went back to the iPad and haven't really explored android tablets since. That said iOS7 is terrible on an iPad, especially the app limit on one page of a folder

As an owner of an iPad 3 and a Nexus 10, I can resoundingly tell you that the apps I run on the Nexus 10 are more than capable, designed well and look beautiful.

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
The tablet can't replace a laptop. Not yet.

So true. Isn't quite there yet. The macbook provides portability and nearly the same battery life of an iPad plus the full awesome power of the mac. Not saying I wouldn't find lots of use for an iPad, but it just isn't yet a necessity for me when I already have an iPhone 5S.

Maybe there will be an iPad under Christmas tree next year :D

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2012
Everyone should be thankful Apple is falling behind; just means they have to be more competitive.

God forbid you get that extra 16GB of storage for less than $100... I'm growing a personal resentment toward this company though.

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
As an owner of an iPad 3 and a Nexus 10, I can resoundingly tell you that the apps I run on the Nexus 10 are more than capable, designed well and look beautiful.

Glad you enjoy them. To each their own. :)

----------

Not sure if I'm missing the boat here on the iPad. It's a nice device, but just can't see owning one as my only computer.

I say that because buying one to sit between my expensive Retina MacBook Pro and iPhone 5s would be big time Apple overkill and would surely render one of those devices as a very pricey dust collector.

I could "get by" with just an iPad, but I guess I'd rather have the do-everything Mac and get my iOS experience from my iPhone which is the same thing only smaller.

Looking to get into the same boat here. The iPad is powerful, but not quite so much for my needs.

----------

This is pretty standard fair for Apple. Even back way way way in the day.

Apple, due to their closed nature, and "premium" pricing has always been niche player in any mature ecosystem.

What People forgot in the last decade was they led in 3 major platforms not because of "being the best". but because they were "first" (thats in quotes cause they were never actually first to market, just leaders in new market segments)

The iPod market? They led the mp3 player market for the first little while because they were one of the first and best devices in a brand new emerging market. Nobody had done mp3 players quite like apple till then. But once the Mp3 player market became mature, Apple no longer was the dominante #1 player.

Similar for Smartphone. Apple was one of the leaders in full screen touch devices. one of the first, and one of the first to really push and market them well. They also took advantage of their history in the ipod market to gain traction. While the Smartphone market was emerging, and therefore seeing the greatest % growth, Apple was at the forefront because they were early to the game and making a fantastic product. Again. now that Smartphones are a mature market. Apples Closed system and premium pricing isn't the #1 choice for devices anymore.

This is going to carry on to Tablets. same concept. Emerging Market that nobody really did right before, they are all over and able to leap ahead. Now that the Tablet market is mature, we're seeing the shift to other manufacturers again.

Why does this keep happening?

Choice. Apple maintains closed ecosystems with premium pricing. Technology isn't a "one size fits all" and so far, each mature marketplace that Apple helped Pioneer, have moved overall towards one of the competitors providing more substancial choices, resulting in overall more sales going elsewhere.

Please dont read this as me attacking apple in any way. this is their business. it's always been their business. And now as Tablets are a mature product segment with hundreds, if not thousands of manufacturers making tablets ranging in size from 5" cheap single core 512mb ram device, to the highest end windows tablets with haswell CPU's

basically correct analysis. Not the whole story but essentially right at first read.

----------

Who cares if Android "dominates" the market?

You literally have dozens of Asian companies that sell sub-$100 and sub-$200 crappy tablets. Even if Android has 80% of total tablets sold, who cares?

What matters is Apple sells high-quality tablets with an ecosystem of excellent apps and a smooth user experience, and sell them by the tens of millions every year. As long as they show growth, develop technologies (whether "new" or not) into high-quality user experiences that people enjoy, it doesn't matter!

There will always be folks that buy a Kurio or a Hisense Sero or a Nabi or an even more generic obscure brand. So what?

In fairness, the Android market does put up some good tablets (not that you would want to own one), but for others who are less particular they do meet the basic needs of a tablet user. Personally, I'm in for the whole experience with Apple and would rather put up with any iOS/OS X issues than start over with another platform. And I will NOT go back to Windows!

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Its the early day of PCs all over again, the market swamped by cheap android tablets while Apple struggles to keep market share. But how many of these other manufactures will be around on 20 years?

Exactly. The Mac never had a market share advantage over all the cheap PC clones back in the day.

And the Mac is still around 20 years later.

But how many of the cheap PC companies either went out of business or were merged into bigger cheap PC companies? Is that the definition of success? Surely not.

You're right... it is like the early days of PCs all over again. There are a bunch of companies all selling the same type of product... and then there's Apple doing their own thing. Quite successfully, actually.

There are over 100 manufacturers of Android devices, including cheap white-box Android devices, all pooled together to make some huge market share number. And then there's the iPad with a much smaller number.

On paper it looks terrible... but I haven't seen the iPad suffer as a result.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia

Quality matters.

Absolutely right. In the store I work in, our stock room is still full of original MS Surfaces and stacks of old android tablets that never sold. If only I was in charge of ordering stock.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I am really worried about iOS. Everyone I talk to loathes the new interface, it looks boring and dull. And there is still no real customization. Not talking about totally changing out your UI and such. I mean widgets and intents for example. Every time I use my Android devices I am baffled at why widgets don't exist on iOS. Why does OS X still support them even though they haven't been touched in years.

Intents is so damn powerful it drives me crazy Apple won't add it. What if I don't want to use Safari reading list ? I want to use Pocket ? So what, now I have to email the links to a special address ? Same thing with Evernote.

Apple is really falling behind. Sure, the hardware is still above all the rest. TouchID and 120fps camera. Amazing awesome things to have. But the software needs a kick in the ass.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
It's funny, I was cruising through the channels over the weekend and landed on one of the home shopping channels where they were selling a "Google Certified" Android tablet for something like $129 or $149. There was a big Google logo behind the presenters on camera but it wasn't a Nexus device they were selling. Since when is Google "certifying" non-Nexus devices and what the heck does "Google certified" even mean?

I stayed on the presentation long enough to hear the guy say "Google certified" at least three times. Then I watched him turn the tablet from portrait to landscape and it took the tablet at least three seconds to re-orient. A minute or so later when he turned the tablet to switch back from landscape to portrait, the camera conveniently cut away. I turned the channel while mumbling "Google certified" under my breath.

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
iPads are selling well, there's no reason Apple should make a cheaper tablet just to fulfill the poverty market.

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Everyone should be thankful Apple is falling behind; just means they have to be more competitive.

Apple is not falling behind where they even care. If they did, they'd start selling a cheapo crap tablet today.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Fall "further" behind? By what metric that has any importance to anyone?

Apple's ahead in the metrics that matter to profits, to developers, and best of all: to users.

Fudging the numbers in Android's favor is easy:

- Take "analyst" fictions and treat them as facts.

- Count "shipped" instead of sold.

- Count Asian media players designed to use pirated content on SD cards and don't even connect to the Internet, much less run apps. (Apparently these are HUGELY popular in unit numbers, yet of no interest to developers or "tabler users" per se.)

- Count embedded, non-user devices that happen to run Android internally.

- Equate high-end, well-supported quality tablets with low-end, throwaway junk. Pretend those junk sales are actually high-end Samsung/Nexus sales when they're not. Pretend those sales are in the US when they're limited to Asia.

- Ignore actual usage stats, be they from app developers or web traffic.

- Combine the installed base of ancient versions of Android all together, and equate them with the latest iOS.

- Add up all Android makers (including dozens of tiny low-end no-name ones we've never heard of) into one master total and compare that entire total with one company's numbers alone.

- Ignore ease of use, quality and breadth of app selection, and basically anything to do with real-world use.

Last edited:

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
This tired old argument of iPad losing share to Android... this is very obviously going to happen - lots of manufacturers vs Apple.

What is important is the ecosystem, customer and developer interest. Apple have a clear lead in all of these.

You apparently don't own an iPad.

Actually the ability to share files between applications would be very nice....

iCloud is just too limited. How do I load a file in Pages from someone else iCloud on my device - and I don't mean using the Web versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.