Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtmac

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
It's great they could raise a million bucks for charity. I'm guessing this guy has got tough choices, "This week should I get a Bently or that new red trash can? Jeeve's, bring me my petty cash American Express black card." It will be way cool for the first 2 months until some aftermarket case maker makes a duplicate skin. So did this thing actually ship? You gotta come up with a lot more coin to get a buggy pre-release!

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Actually, no where did it say the winning bidder gets immediate possession of the Mac Pro. He/she might have to wait till sometime in December. :eek:
Why would he wait? There is only 1 unit and the unit was shown already. What would he wait for?

Rich.Cohen

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2013
Washington DC
Why would he wait? There is only 1 unit and the unit was shown already. What would he wait for?

Was it operational at the auction? I'm just being nasty here. I suspect that a one-off device like this would have been operational, but it may have used preproduction components.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Was it operational at the auction? I'm just being nasty here. I suspect that a one-off device like this would have been operational, but it may have used preproduction components.
Well, I'm not sure what the rules of the auctions are but I would expect them to present the final product and not something that is still being in production. Seeing that they had working mac pro at WWDC etc. then this must be fully operational and finished piece. Also, would you expect J. Ive to put something in auction that is not complete? I doubt that, he is anal about every little detail :)

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
They may take have taken possession of a fully functional, current Red Mac Pro but they may have had to sign a non-discloser agreement for it's performance specs, videos and such until after the Mac Pro becomes available.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
They may take have taken possession of a fully functional, current Red Mac Pro but they may have had to sign a non-discloser agreement for it's performance specs, videos and such until after the Mac Pro becomes available.

I don't think someone who buys $1mil Mac Pro will be doing any of that :)))

Rich.Cohen

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2013
Washington DC
Well, I'm not sure what the rules of the auctions are but I would expect them to present the final product and not something that is still being in production.

I'm sure it was spelled out in the auction brochure, but it is quite possible to auction off the outer shell with a promise of the guts later.

Seeing that they had working mac pro at WWDC etc. then this must be fully operational and finished piece.

I've been around high-tech (computers and aviation) for about 40+ years. It is quite possible to bring something out for a controlled demo that is not fully operational. You say lots of prayers when you do.

Also, would you expect J. Ive to put something in auction that is not complete? I doubt that, he is anal about every little detail :)

On this we agree.

My best guess The purchaser went home with a working Mac Pro or will have it in just a few days. Some of the components may have been manufactured by hand or repaired.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
I'm sure it was spelled out in the auction brochure, but it is quite possible to auction off the outer shell with a promise of the guts later.

I've been around high-tech (computers and aviation) for about 40+ years. It is quite possible to bring something out for a controlled demo that is not fully operational. You say lots of prayers when you do.

On this we agree.

My best guess The purchaser went home with a working Mac Pro or will have it in just a few days. Some of the components may have been manufactured by hand or repaired.

lets see if the guy boasts about it or its private collector item with no further info :)

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

Why would that be the case? They have shown it publicly at this point. There isn't a secret. If you wanted to find out, you would just look up bidding terms anyway. It's not like they can add in undisclosed conditions post-bid.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
It's great they could raise a million bucks for charity. I'm guessing this guy has got tough choices, "This week should I get a Bently or that new red trash can? Jeeve's, bring me my petty cash American Express black card." It will be way cool for the first 2 months until some aftermarket case maker makes a duplicate skin. So did this thing actually ship? You gotta come up with a lot more coin to get a buggy pre-release!
Do you really think this thing is actually coming out of the box? If it does, it's going into a display case.

Nobody who buys a Million dollar MacPro needs a MacPro (or a million dollars for that matter).

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
lets see if the guy boasts about it or its private collector item with no further info :)

You've probably all been wondering where I've been lately... Unboxing videos and benchmarks coming up :D

Ps... I'm assuming several other MR members where there (reveal yourselves!)... How else could the bidding got so out of control?! ;)

unfragile

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2013
Perhaps you've nailed me....

But we'll never know, because what you quoted was a short phrase without context.

Who knows the full syntax and grammar of Yodaspeak for generalized comments.... ;)

Aiden: I didn't nailed you for sure, this was a copy paste quote... My english it's quite poor. ;) Happy holidays to everyone.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
So how can we convince this rich guy who bought it to post a review ? :D

moxxey

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
I really am loosing my patience!

Oooooh. I bet you're *so* angry. You should video yourself on YouTube and show us your anger :)

Good lord, it's only a computer. It's coming, within a month. I think you are mistaking 'losing my patience' with 'too eager to get hold of one'.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
But in a not offensive way, I fail to understand the reason to why buy the "crippled Mac Pro" which in a sense resembles "that" old Daikatana poster. Remember of what John Romero was about to make out of you? Because that is what Apple is making of you now.

But then again, I haven't come here in almost a year after I said that I was tired "sucking up" and the WWDC 2012 lack of update being the last drop which prompted me to build a linux workstation, mostly thankfully for my workflow allowing me to.

But indeed...
For all the nonsensical "enthusiasts",
"A fool and his money are soon parted".

I'm not sure which crippled Mac Pro you're talking about, but I'm glad people like you have left. Leave the serious and often spirited conversations to people who don't let a company make them a miserable person.

He didn't sound like it was making him "miserable," just disappointed and enticed into moving to another platform as a result. OP, however did sound miserable, so I'll give you that :) . As far as his "Crippled Mac Pro" line, I think it's pretty obvious he's referring to lack of upgrade options (at least in the way many would like).

The old Mac Pro (which is really fricken old) can be upgraded to a faster CPU, faster GPU, and have more RAM than the new one. Given how ridiculously old the feature-set is on the old Mac Pro, this fact is pretty embarrassing for Apple.

I can understand why some would think the new Mac Pro has more capabilities than the old one. I am absolutely dumbfounded, however, that those same people would not see why others would see the new machine as crippled in many ways. There are some very significant portions of the market which the nMP will not be able to accommodate (like CUDA).

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.