Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
So, I submitted a request to unlock an old iPhone 4 on the AT&T website. The request was approved yesterday at noon. I was told that I may have to wait up to 24 hours for the unlock to work.

Fast forward 26 hours, the phone will not unlock. Also, when I check the lock status on iphoneimei.info, it shows the phone as still locked.

Anyone know how I can get the phone actually unlocked now? AT&T says to call Apple, Apple will tell me to call AT&T. There's no way I'm going to get sucked into that craziness when it's obvious that AT&T just didn't submit the IMEI correctly....

Any ideas?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Don't rely on unlock checkers. Many of them offer unlocking services (or at least used to) and would show locked even if it's actually unlocked. You'll know it's unlocked if you get the "Congrats, your iPhone has been unlocked" message.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
I just had an iPhone 4 to be unlocked by AT&T over the phone and iPhoneimei is showing it's still locked. I don't want to take the risk of restoring the phone as it's still on 4.3 using the Gevey sim to unlock the phone.

In the past, iPhoneimei would show the phone unlocked right away...

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I just had an iPhone 4 to be unlocked by AT&T over the phone and iPhoneimei is showing it's still locked. I don't want to take the risk of restoring the phone as it's still on 4.3 using the Gevey sim to unlock the phone.

Just use redsn0w to deactivate it. Open iTunes and it will reactivate and unlock with out anything being upgraded or restored. Just make sure to download the right version of redsn0w and to select to option to just deactivate and not jailbreak (unless you want to jailbreak.)

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
I've done the whole restore and use a tmobile sim. It really is still locked.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
AT&T Mobile Device Unlock Requests:

To request an AT&T Mobile Device unlock just complete our simple online unlock request form and we'll take it from there.
Requests may complete within 48 hours but may take as long as 5 business days.

I'd give it some more time.
If you got a message that the unlock request was approved it might still need time to be processed and completed.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
I had this same issue, its now been over two weeks and I got the confirmation email and everything and still locked, att is starting to suck big ones

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
I had this same issue, its now been over two weeks and I got the confirmation email and everything and still locked, att is starting to suck big ones

I'm pretty sure the reason why the Library of Congress didn't re-approve the whole unlocking exemption to the DMCA (which, on an aside is complete BS anyways) is because the carriers said, "Oh, hey, we'll TOTALLY unlock phones for clients who meet our requirements."

Well, I meet the requirements, AT&T has *approved* it. Yet, it's still locked.

Princejb134

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012

I had to restore my phone for it to unlock
I called tmobile to unlock my phone
Took 3 days to process the unlock
Ones I got the approved I connected my iphone to iTunes and nothing happened
So I decided to restore and it worked got the message saying congratulations your iphone is unlocked

Hope this helped

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
AT&T Mobile Device Unlock Requests:

To request an AT&T Mobile Device unlock just complete our simple online unlock request form and we'll take it from there.
Requests may complete within 48 hours but may take as long as 5 business days.

That's the time for at&t to review and complete the request itself. After honoring the request, the recipient should get a confirmation email from at&t saying to allow 24 hours to complete the unlock process.

OP, it's likely something went wrong with the unlock process if you did a restore and it's still unlocked. Just give at&t a call and they'll be able to fix it from their end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.