Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

5c_and_5s-250x248.jpg
According to research firm Kantar Worldpanel (via Unwired View), the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c accounted for 76% of new smartphone sales in Japan during the month of October, including 61% of phones sold on NTT DoCoMo, the country's biggest carrier.

Availability of the new iPhone 5s and lower-cost iPhone 5c through DoCoMo marks the first time that Apple's mobile phones have been offered on the carrier, coming after a July report pointed to a loss of 3.2 million users over the last four and a half years as the carrier did not have a deal with Apple to offer the iPhone. DoCoMo's losses continued in September with a record loss of 66,800 subscribers, with that drop attributed to a lack of stock of the new iPhone 5s.

Reports of DoCoMo adding the iPhone ramped up ahead of the September iPhone 5s/5c launch following comments from CEO Kazuto Tsubouchi citing "compelling reasons" to reach a deal, and the carrier did indeed launch the new iPhones alongside other Japanese carriers on September 20.

All three major Japanese carriers including DoCoMo, SoftBank, and KDDI have been offering the iPhone 5s free on contract through special promotions since its launch in September. DoCoMo has also been offering rewards points for users who bring in used iPhones from SoftBank or KDDI.

Article Link: iPhone 5s/5c Take 76% of Smartphone Sales in Japan for October

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
3 out of 4 phones sold were iPhones, I'd say that's quite impressive to say the least.
Don't worry, this is macrumors where the trolls frolick freely under their rain clouds. They will find a way to spin this into something terrible. Just watch. DOOM!

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
That's huge numbers, but I guess you have to take into account that the largest carrier have not offered iPhones earlier and that all three big carriers offered the 5S for free with contract:

All three major Japanese carriers including DoCoMo, SoftBank, and KDDI have been offering the iPhone 5s free on contract through special promotions since its launch in September

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I wonder which model sold more. There either was no shortage of the 5s, or the 5c is selling better than many predicted it would.

When watching in the bus and train every day there are more 5s visible. The touch sensor is quite easy to identify.
Very few 5C seen yet; maybe they are covered in addition to hide them.

----------

That's huge numbers, but I guess you have to take into account that the largest carrier have not offered iPhones earlier and that all three big carriers offered the 5S for free with contract:

All three major Japanese carriers including DoCoMo, SoftBank, and KDDI have been offering the iPhone 5s free on contract through special promotions since its launch in September

Free of contract; but I'm sure, nasty as they all three are, still with sim-lock on the individual carrier like my first iPad some years back.

pavinder

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, still sim-locked here, even if one pays full price for the handset.

These comments about the 5s being free are simply not true. One can either pay up front (and have a cheap monthly bill) or pay in 24 installments over 2 years (the contract period). This second option is interest-free.

I think in some way they try to pretend it's free - masqueraded as a monthly fee which is coincidentally "discounted" by exactly the installment amount if you pay for the handset in full up front!

But the bottom line is you pay for it either way. Of course you do. No network is going to simply give away millions of $800 phones.

Last edited:

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I wouldn't get too excited. Look at this realistically.

Japan was already one of the biggest iPhone markets, and this is just counting sales of a new product right after it came out. There is no way the iPhone could have done poorly in October in Japan.

How were sales in August? How will sales be compared to other devices several months from now? How are the sales in the days following big releases from other popular brands in Japan?

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011

These comments about the 5s being free are simply not true. One can either pay up front (and have a cheap monthly bill) or pay in 24 installments over 2 years (the contract period). This second option is interest-free.

I think in some way they try to pretend it's free - masqueraded as a monthly fee which is coincidentally "discounted" by exactly the installment amount if you pay for the handset in full up front!

But the bottom line is you pay for it either way. Of course you do. No network is going to simply give away millions of $800 phones.
Free in cell phone terms = no money down.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012

Japan was already one of the biggest iPhone markets, and this is just counting sales of a new product right after it came out. There is no way the iPhone could have done poorly in October in Japan.

How were sales in August? How will sales be compared to other devices several months from now? How are the sales in the days following big releases from other popular brands in Japan?

Sales in August was around 40%, still dominating. People have lost interest in local brands such as Sharp and Fujitsu. Sony's sales went up a bit in June. That's about it. It's quite incredible considering the fact that American/Foreign made phones had something like 0% share here just 5 years ago.

----------

I wonder which model sold more. There either was no shortage of the 5s, or the 5c is selling better than many predicted it would.

I am seeing roughly equal numbers of both models on the streets here.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Don't worry, this is macrumors where the trolls frolick freely under their rain clouds. They will find a way to spin this into something terrible. Just watch. DOOM!

Exhibit A:

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
i wouldn't get too excited. Look at this pessimistically.

Japan was already one of the biggest iphone markets, and this is just counting sales of a new product right after it came out. There is no way the iphone could have done poorly in october in japan.

How were sales in august? How will sales be compared to other devices several months from now? How are the sales in the days following big releases from other popular brands in japan?

ftfy

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Only on MacRumors can fanboys think someone saying Apple's success was predictable is a bad thing.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009

So...realistically this is bad news for Apple?

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
The Japanese have always demanded the very best technology. It's so no surprise to see them choosing Apple devices over everything else regardless of price. They want great experiences and they know only Apple can provide that.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN

Still sounds a lot better than the big USA carriers.

----------

Japan was already one of the biggest iPhone markets
Since when? Their largest carrier had been avoiding it for years.

gkjapan

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2006

Correction. If you sign for a 2 year contract, you get 24 months of discount to offset the 24 installment amounts. You don't have to pay for the handset in full up front.

One exciting thing to note is that for the first time now in Japan, you can buy an unlocked iPhone if you buy it directly from Apple. You have to pay full price up front, but then I assume you can walk into any of the big 3 cellphone shops and get a contract.

neier

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2003
Japan
Correction. If you sign for a 2 year contract, you get 24 months of discount to offset the 24 installment amounts. You don't have to pay for the handset in full up front.

I think it's safe to say that no matter how the big three juggle the numbers, Apple still gets its money for each iPhone that gets put into the hands of the Japanese consumers. And, whether I reimburse the carrier for 0 or 80,000 yen is of no concern to Apple. They might discount the wholesale price to up their share; but, it seems that their popularity puts them in an enviable negotiating position.

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
That's huge numbers, but I guess you have to take into account that the largest carrier have not offered iPhones earlier and that all three big carriers offered the 5S for free with contract

Make that free with $200 (20,000 yen) cash back, and the cash is handed to you right there and then in the store. I took my wife to a Docomo shop to inquire about upgrading her 4S because she wants to tether her tablet, and that was exactly what she was offered.

It blows my mind daily whenever I see how Americans (and other countries) pay hundreds of dollars for an iPhone and get excited about $50 discounts. iPhone and iPad have been free in Japan since the iPhone 3G was first released here.

I'm an iOS developer. It makes life so much easier. With Android starting to dominate overseas, I would need to create two versions of everything to get a decent market share. But in Japan, the iPhone is so dominant, I'll get a good return on my apps just focusing on one platform.

gullySn0wCat

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2010

They're not free, just no money up front. You have to pay your handset off over 24 months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.