Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
This person does not sound smart at all

MOST consumers for any product aren't smart. Most consumers don't spend hours and hours, like people on MacRumors, discussing the pros and cons of what they are buying. They spend, I would bet, 10 minutes glancing through a consumer reports and 10 minutes in the store.

And a lot of consumers THINK they are smart, and over-think it, and don't actually get the best deal. I bet a lot of Apple fanboys, and fandroids are blinded by their loyalties and change how they view specs so that their beloved iProduct or Android comes out ahead.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
The point is that gift cards are as good as cash to most people.

And gift cards have this subtle thing about them that make people think the deal is better than it is.

I buy an iPad for $499 with $100 gift card. I _THINK_ I'm buying the iPad for $399. I'm NOT. I'm actually buying it for $499.

Then when I buy $100 worth of crap with that gift card, I _THINK_ it's all FREE because I'm using a $100 gift card.

You can't think $399 iPad plus $100 to spend on a gift card, but this is how most consumers think, and why the stores love these promotions. And the $100 gift card is usually spent on crap because someone has $100 to spend at store X and will add things together to make $100 that they wouldn't normally buy.

What is REALLY happening is that instead of getting an iPad for $399, you're REALLY getting an iPad for the SAME EXACT PRICE as you would elsewhere ($499), but you're also getting $100 worth of crap with it.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Walmart and Best Buy don't seem to link directly to the product. Only target and staples

Walmart and Bestbuy deals aren't live yet. So the only place to see them is the weekly ads that was linked.

arn

BreuerEditor

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
New Jersey
FYI Best Buy has the 16GB original iPad Mini for $299 + $100 gift card going on right now…no need to wait for tomorrow or Friday and you can order online.

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
I wanted the 100$ gift card but not bothering now since it's in store only. Just don't want to deal with crowds. Hopefully best buy's is in online since 50 dollars off isn't bad.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
FYI Best Buy has the 16GB original iPad Mini for $299 + $100 gift card going on right now…no need to wait for tomorrow or Friday and you can order online.

Yes I ordered one there early this morning myself, but they seem to be sold out now.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
And gift cards have this subtle thing about them that make people think the deal is better than it is.

I buy an iPad for $499 with $100 gift card. I _THINK_ I'm buying the iPad for $399. I'm NOT. I'm actually buying it for $499.

Then when I buy $100 worth of crap with that gift card, I _THINK_ it's all FREE because I'm using a $100 gift card.

You can't think $399 iPad plus $100 to spend on a gift card, but this is how most consumers think, and why the stores love these promotions. And the $100 gift card is usually spent on crap because someone has $100 to spend at store X and will add things together to make $100 that they wouldn't normally buy.

What is REALLY happening is that instead of getting an iPad for $399, you're REALLY getting an iPad for the SAME EXACT PRICE as you would elsewhere ($499), but you're also getting $100 worth of crap with it.

That is true, but what a lot of consumers (I'll include myself) think is that they spend $100 each time they shop at Target anyway, so why not get a gift card out of the deal. I'm not saying I'm going to get an iPad at Target on Friday, but it is a good deal. If the same deal were at Best Buy, then I would agree completely that the $100 gift card would buy you something you may not want or need. Target or Wal-Mart or any mass merchant selling a broad range of things including food make the gift card deal a no-brainer.

Me, I'm more likely to use AT&T's money and do the Next deal for an Air. This way I can use my money how I like while paying off the iPad over 12 months. I understand I'll then pay the monthly data share amount, but I'd be doing that anyway.

Black Friday, for me at least, is one of those days that is better off spent at home with family. I'll be in front of the fireplace for the better part of the day - then maybe we'll head over to a local watering hole for some holiday cheer.

For those people braving the crowds - be safe and try to show some kindness to those around you, who are likely to not be in a very good mood.

DCJ001

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
You won't believe how many smart people (just not technically smart) look at specs, and think the iPad 2 is better or almost the same as the iPad Air.

At my office, a co-worker in a meeting said that he was looking to get an iPad. He was thinking of the iPad 2 because it was cheaper. He didn't want retina on the iPad Air, because he thought it scanned your eyes. The iPad 2 has a dual-core chip, while the iPad Air doesn't (in Apple's spec page it simply says 'A7 chip with 64-bit architecture and M7 motion coprocessor' for the iPad Air). He didn't care about the cameras.

So, the majority of people just don't really understand. This is why I think most people get the cheaper model.

It's similar to when I'm looking for a blender. I see a $24 blender at Walmart, but it's some no-name. Then I see a 'Cuisinart' Blender for $89 and another for $139. Well, I know the name Cuisinart. It's probably better, will last longer. But I'll buy the least expensive one for $89 vs. $139. I'm a smart consumer!

I think typical Apple consumers go out looking for a tablet and see. Hmmm... Samsung tablet $199. Not a great name. Apple tablet for $299 or $399. I hear Apple is a great brand name, better quality. I'll get the cheaper Apple tablet. I'm a smart consumer!

A lot of people just don't understand consumer thinking, and think that it makes any sense.

With those choices, I'll take the $24 blender. I don't need a known brand name to ensure that the product will blend. And, if I need to buy three of them during the same amount of time that your $89 model lasts, I will still be saving money.

And you think that you are a smart consumer?

I am looking to get the iPad Air, though.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
So I gotta give up my Thanksgiving dinner with my family to save $75 at Target for an iPad mini with Retina Display? No thanks. Target should be opening at 10pm or 11pm. 8pm is getting ridiculous. I'm glad Apple decided to keep their stores closed on Thanksgiving Day in the USA.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The Staples coupon code (expiring today) is rejected for me online (others have told me the same).

There's chat support only, with a 20+ minute wait! I think that's a "no" for me!

Last edited:

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
They are offering a 100.00 gift card at BB with the purchase of a 16gb wifi 1st gen ipad mini. Not sure if MR listed this. Plus it's available now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 127

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
I've never gone to an Apple Store on Black Friday but am thinking about it this year. Do any of the peripherals ever go on sale on Black Friday as well? Like keyboard, trackpad, Time Machine, etc?

AppleWarMachine

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2011
Michigan, US
I'm Thankful I already got my iPad Air (Black 64GB) :D and I won't have to worry about trying to get one on Friday. I will be sleeping in my warm bed and not waiting in line in 20 degree weather :eek: good luck to those who are

idiiamots

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2010
Seattle, WA
Is the Target gift card offer only for 16GB iPad Air or higher capacities as well? It's not very clear, but target website suggests it's $599 (whereas 16GB shows $479 price).

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
MOST consumers for any product aren't smart. Most consumers don't spend hours and hours, like people on MacRumors, discussing the pros and cons of what they are buying. They spend, I would bet, 10 minutes glancing through a consumer reports and 10 minutes in the store.

And a lot of consumers THINK they are smart, and over-think it, and don't actually get the best deal. I bet a lot of Apple fanboys, and fandroids are blinded by their loyalties and change how they view specs so that their beloved iProduct or Android comes out ahead.

Oh I hear you there, I was just making a comment based on how you wrote your post:

<You won't believe how many smart people (just not technically smart) look at specs, and think the iPad 2 is better or almost the same as the iPad Air.

At my office, a co-worker in a meeting said that he was looking to get an iPad. He was thinking of the iPad 2 because it was cheaper. He didn't want retina on the iPad Air, because he thought it scanned your eyes. The iPad 2 has a dual-core chip, while the iPad Air doesn't (in Apple's spec page it simply says 'A7 chip with 64-bit architecture and M7 motion coprocessor' for the iPad Air). He didn't care about the cameras.>

This person, does not sound smrt at all :)

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Best Buy

Just picked up the 128 ATT Air at Best Buy they had $100 off, plus free activation and I got a $200 Gift Card for my iPad 2, so basically I that's over $300 off with 18 months no interest financing (although, I'll pay the entire thing off next month). Quite a nifty piece of shopping :) Only gripe is they only had it available in White and I'm tired of white (iPhone and iPad 2 are white).

Renzatic

Suspended
With those choices, I'll take the $24 blender. I don't need a known brand name to ensure that the product will blend. And, if I need to buy three of them during the same amount of time that your $89 model lasts, I will still be saving money.

Boom. This. Going by brand name alone is equally as stupid as basing your entire decision on price. A name doesn't always guarantee quality, and a lower price doesn't mean you're buying cheap crap by going cheap.

Put simply, you get what you need. If I were running a kitchen in a restaurant, or did a ton of cooking, I'd get a Cuisinart. You want to pay more for that extra bit of sturdiness, which means it'll last longer in a high stress environment where it's used for hours on end. But someone who cooks a single meal for the family once a night, and uses the blender for maybe 15 minutes, the $30 option will last them for at least a couple of years, and blend just as well as the Cuisinart.

And what happens if the brand name lets you down? It's been known to happen. Cuisinart could have a bad run of blenders for a couple of years that damage the brand, which means you'd be screwed by buying one of their blenders on name alone. You spend more money for it, and it ends up blowing up 6 months later. Everyone makes a dud product at some point.

On top of that, people who buy on brand name alone tend to be more prejudiced against other brands. Case in point...here. BBeagle said "Samsung, not a good brand", completely ignoring the fact that while it's not a good brand to him, it is quickly becoming one to everyone else. We're all bashing the Surface tablet around here as cheap, badly designed crap, disregarding the fact that Microsoft is still one of the top 5 trusted brand names in America at the moment. Even though it's not selling well, someone could still walk into a store and buy it on brand name alone. So who's right? Who's wrong?

Well, I'd say I'm right, because I'm smart, and the people who disagree with me are stupid and don't know what they're talking about. Yeah, that's how these things usually go.

The simple fact is, it's impossible to make a 100% completely informed decision about the things we buy, and we all lean on stupid metrics at some point while making them. There's no reason to judge someone else because they made a different stupid decision than the stupid decision you likely would've made in the same situation.

apatel1005

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
Staples restocked

so staples.com restocked on the IPAD MINI SLATE GRAY a little while ago. hurry if you want!

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
Trust me, the amount of people in line for this will be in the minority compared to the quantity of people as it wraps around the building because stock availability will be low.

You want this price? Get in line yesterday.

Unless you enjoy the whole BF/getting in line thing (hey, to each their own), I don't see how waiting in line an entire day for $20 and a $100 Target gift card is worth the trouble. Especially when you can save $50 and just order one from Staples online.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

Playing devil's advocate...

I'm going to get the cheap $99 Android tablet (Nextbook 8" at Walmart!) and be able to go through 5 of these puppies while you just have 1 iPad Air.

(This is why consumers are all confused - is that $89 blender really that much better than that $24 blender - is that $499 tablet really that much better than that $99 tablet?)

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Is the Target gift card offer only for 16GB iPad Air or higher capacities as well? It's not very clear, but target website suggests it's $599 (whereas 16GB shows $479 price).

The Target ad is pretty clear that the gift card offer applies to both the 16 GB Wifi Air they have listed as well as "all other iPads, including iPad 2. It also says "$100 TARGET GIFTCARD® when you buy any iPad."

However, Target uses "iPad" here quite literally, to the exclusion of iPad mini. In that case, the offer is a $75 card.

Renzatic

Suspended
(This is why consumers are all confused - is that $89 blender really that much better than that $24 blender - is that $499 tablet really that much better than that $99 tablet?)

It's a valid question. Quality, much like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. You might be able to satisfy your conscience by paying more for what you believe to be the best product, but if something does exactly what you need it to, it ultimately doesn't matter how much you paid for it.

For example, I've got this old friend who bought a Motorola Atrix a couple years back. Paid, I think, 50 bucks for it, give or take. I personally don't think it's that good of a phone, and wouldn't want to own myself. But for him, it works perfectly. He gets his email, his text messages, his phone calls through it without a hitch, and he can look up info through the internet without any issues. The fact it's a little chunkity while scrolling doesn't even register with him. He could care less.

So is he stupid because he paid so little for what we all consider a crap phone, and could've gone with something better for a little more? Or is he a wise, frugal shopper because he paid so little, yet got a product that does exactly what he needs it to do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.