Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saado

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2013
I need help automating a task I do all the time. Over the course of the day, I copy Word documents received via email into a folder on my Desktop called "Inbox". I need to automatically convert all Word docs to PDF, then add them to Evernote.

I am able to use Hazel for the adding to Evernote. However, I am having trouble automating the Word to PDF. I have searched online and tried a few options, but they don't seem to work. I would want it to take any Word docs in the folder and convert them to PDF with the same name as the Word doc.

Any ideas? Does this have to be a short AppleScript? Thanks.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
What exactly isn't it working? If you have Word you should have some automator actions for it and among them there is a "convert format of word document" action. It has a drop down menu where you can select pdf.

Edit: I'm talking about the application "Automator" here which you'll find in the Applications folder, now I'm not sure if that is what you referred to.

saado

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2013
I don't have that action in Automator. From what I've read, after SP2 the action for Convert Format of Word Documents does not exist. Convert Format scripts only exist for Excel and PowerPoint.

Any ideas how I can get the action back? Or an alternative way? Do I need an AppleScript?

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
I don't have that action in Automator. From what I've read, after SP2 the action for Convert Format of Word Documents does not exist. Convert Format scripts only exist for Excel and PowerPoint.

Any ideas how I can get the action back? Or an alternative way? Do I need an AppleScript?

Hm, I got it here and it got installed with a bunch of other actions in the install process. I don't know if you can find it separately, there are 3rd party automator actions you can add so you may be able to google for it or check with Microsoft. Besides this it may be possible to do with Applescript, not my strong side though, perhaps someone else can show you.

kryten2

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2012
Belgium
I would also go with Automator and the Convert Format of Word Documents action.

Attachments

• Missing In Action.zip
    107.3 KB · Views: 310
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.