Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
If you buy an iphone on ebay and say it was stolen and you didn't know. Will the Find my phone feature allow the old owner to find it or these thieves do something to block it? I mean how can you know if a used phone on ebay was in fact stolen and then you end up in jail?

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
But do thieves have a way to block the Find my phone feature?
I lost an ipad some years ago and i was never able to find it using the Find my phone feature, so someone must have blocked it somehow.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
If you buy an iphone on ebay and say it was stolen and you didn't know. Will the Find my phone feature allow the old owner to find it or these thieves do something to block it? I mean how can you know if a used phone on ebay was in fact stolen and then you end up in jail?

The old owner cannot track the phone unless Find My Phone is still associated with their account. The last thing a seller should do (and the first thing a buyer should do) is erase all contents and settings which also removes it from any iCloud account.

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
So you must click on Restore and that will erase the old account?

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
The old owner cannot track the phone unless Find My Phone is still associated with their account. The last thing a seller should do (and the first thing a buyer should do) is erase all contents and settings which also removes it from any iCloud account.

By restoring the phone, right?

boomdog

macrumors regular
You should be more confident buying from a seller with good feeback. I don't see an issue with it, particularly if you are buying an older model. The 4s can do most of what the 5 and 5s can so you could save yourself a great deal by buying second hand.

You just need to build confidence in the seller. Read their feedback and see how much of it comes as a seller and how long they have had their account for. A 2 week old account with 15 positive feedbacks from 99p purchases is clearly not a good idea but if someone has been a member for years and has great feedback record as both buyer and seller there won't be an issue.

That said, pay with paypal and even if there is an issue you can open a dispute and get your money back. I have only ever had to do this once and it did some time to sort out by the money was eventually returned.

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Ok but in any case by restoring then the previous owner cannot track you down?

Rudzki

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Find my iPhone revolves around an iCloud account, if an iCloud account is no longer associated with a device it can no longer be traced using Find my iPhone.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
This seems legit.

The old iOS ( <7.0 ) you could wipe ( Reset->Erase All Content and Settings ) the device and completely sever the connection with old owners account. The original owner would not be able to track it using Find My iPhone.

After iOS7.0 the owner can activate lock the device. If you wipe it, the first thing it will do is to ask you the password for the previously attached iCloud account. While all this is going on, the owner can indeed breadcrumb (track) the device.

The best way is to contact sprint and verizon and check the status of the phone. AT&T is quite a bit more difficult to deal with, but I'd still give it a try.

Good luck living in fear that the previous owner jailbroke it and setup a hidden tracking program. Waiting to steal your bank account information (through emails and a little social hacking), your friends' phone numbers, names, addresses, your credit card information via iTunes. Sounds fun.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
On ios 7 you cannot just turn off find my iphone.
It will ask you for your password to turn it off or remove that feature.
And even if you do an erase all on the phone itself the find my iphone feature and activation lock will still be there.
Nice new security features that many thieves will not like;)

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
On ios 7 you cannot just turn off find my iphone.
It will ask you for your password to turn it off or remove that feature.
And even if you do an erase all on the phone itself the find my iphone feature and activation lock will still be there.
Nice new security features that many thieves will not like;)

My iPhone was stolen and I couldn't locate it with Find My iPhone because they turned it off. I sent a command to erase it and that worked. Will they be able to use it now or do they still need my iCloud password?

Edit: He managed to change the phones name somehow

Attachments

• Screenshot 2013-11-22 00.21.59.png
    Screenshot 2013-11-22 00.21.59.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
My iPhone was stolen and I couldn't locate it with Find My iPhone because they turned it off. I sent a command to erase it and that worked. Will they be able to use it now or do they still need my iCloud password?

Edit: He managed to change the phones name somehow

Nope. They can't use it.
Don't unlink it from your iCloud account ever.
Let them have a useless stolen iPhone instead of a functional one.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
It's stories like this that make me glad apple included the activation/find my iPhone kill switch. The only thing that phone is good for now is parts.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Lol:) that was not a good passcode:D
But doesn't matter now since he's stuck with a dead and useless iPhone that can only be activated/unbricked with only your apple id and password.

It wouldn't have helped even if i had something less common :p

It's stories like this that make me glad apple included the activation/find my iPhone kill switch. The only thing that phone is good for now is parts.

Well it helped me erase the phone and make sure the thief can't access any of my info but I still can't get it back :(

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
I lost one of my iPhones today at a shopping mall.
In Find My iPhone it shows offline. I enabled the Lost Mode and Notify when found.
It has a passcode for unlocking it.
What you guys recommend to find out when it is powered back on?
Will someone who allegedly found it do anything with it??? Can anyone wipe it clean??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.