Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tomdarkness

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
Hi,

Just got my rMBP 15" that has the 750M. I've got two main locations I work at and both locations have 2 different external monitors (i.e for a total of 4 different external monitor models). On every single one of the monitors OS X detects them as TVs. This is regardless of how I connect them. I have tried Mini-DP to DP, DP -> DVI and HDMI.

This is a big problem because it means it does not use RGB colour space making the displays look crap. Additionally since it thinks they are TVs even when I use Mini DP -> DP it limits the monitors to 1080p when they can support 2560x1440.

I can't remember the exact model of monitors I've got at my other location but currently I'm trying it with:

Dell U2711 connected via Mini DP -> DP.
Samsung S23A700 connected via dual-link DVI (also tried HDMI)

Both say: "Television: Yes". The dell is limited to 1080p, despite both the monitor and the method of connection being able to support 2560x1440. The samsung is a 120Hz monitor but it only lists 60hz despite both the monitor and connection method supporting 120hz.

I have tested the monitors with a desktop PC and another laptop running Windows and both monitors work perfect and are instantly detected as monitors and set to the correct resolution, refresh rate and colour space.

Any idea how I can fix this?

siamchen

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2013
I'm using thunderbolt to HDMI or DVI

External monitor and project are both ok. Maybe you need to try a thunderbolt convertor.

Tomdarkness

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
What do you mean a thunderbolt convertor? The thunderbolt port is suppose to natively support DVI and DisplayPort. In any case the same situation happens with the HDMI port.

External monitor and project are both ok. Maybe you need to try a thunderbolt convertor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.