Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skormy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
I am looking to upgrade my router (Linksys WRT54G). I have a dinosaur -- an old Linksys that's got to be 10 years old.

I currently have an Imac and a MBP, an older PC laptop, a number of idevices (pads, phones, pods) as well as a TV and blu-ray that are internet capable along with an Apple TV device and airprint supported printer. So, there are a number of wireless devices at home to say the least.

Through my research, here's what I've narrowed my choices to

Airport Extreme or Time Capsule (as next up on the list is a networked Time Machine solution -- it's local connected now)
ASUS RT-N66U
Netgear 750

Thanks in advance for any any feedback or alternative solutions.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I suggest you go to smallnetbuilder site and read up on the various tested routers.

The Mac offering (new Extreme) seems to be well... #6 out a list of 10 and the second most expensive. That translates to not being a very good deal. However, it remains a consistent performer just expensive and not the fastest.

Things you might consider - ability to run at at both 2.4 and 5 Ghrtz simultaneously given you seem to have a rather mixed environment requiring most likely g and n from your router.

I had a rather interesting turn of events when I got hold of a mediocre router that turned out to perform as well or better than the last generation Airport Extreme and also had 7 cable ports. This was a Western Digital router. I didn't expect to keep it but its been running for months now and works well with both WiFi and cable. I don't believe they are in great demand and the price remains low. - Just goes to show that not all devices need an Apple logo to work reasonably well for about 1/3 the price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.