Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Introvert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2013
Hi

I'm considering purchasing a brand new 15" MacBook Pro 2.6GHz, 16GB, 1TB, 750M which comes with Mavericks.

A lot of the apps I use aren't yet comparable with Mavericks so I was wondering if anyone has tried a fresh format and downgrade install to Mountain Lion?

I understand that Apple warn against installing older operating systems than the one that ships but I'm wondering if anyone has tried it. Does it work? Are there any issues?

Any feedback would be great.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
What apps that are compatible with 10.8 that aren't compatible with 10.9 I would think most would be updated by now. I got Maverick day one and had two apps not work, but updates where already out.

Introvert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2013
Ableton Live 9 isn't yet qualified along with a number of audio plug-ins. The lack of fully colored folder labels are also a productivity deal breaker at this time along with a handful of other minor issues. Basically I'd like to stick with Mountain Lion till these issues are resolved.

ftp

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2013
Any word on this ?

My old MBP died and I use it for audio as well. I need a new MBP, but my sound interface and DAW do not yet support Mavericks.

I don't want to buy an early 2013 mbp... Just install ML on the late 2013 mbp until everything is fully supported.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Any word on this ?

My old MBP died and I use it for audio as well. I need a new MBP, but my sound interface and DAW do not yet support Mavericks.

I don't want to buy an early 2013 mbp... Just install ML on the late 2013 mbp until everything is fully supported.

You can only run Mavericks at a minimum. It has always been this way on new Macs with the latest OS.

sabbyp

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2013
Ableton Live 9 isn't yet qualified along with a number of audio plug-ins. The lack of fully colored folder labels are also a productivity deal breaker at this time along with a handful of other minor issues. Basically I'd like to stick with Mountain Lion till these issues are resolved.

you're in luck - that's my machine and ableton live is my day-to-day daw. version 9.1 runs perfectly on mavericks, no issues with any plugins (I have a large collection) or m4l.

Besides that, there is no way of downgrading a new machine to an older os - the new hardware requires drivers only mavericks includes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.