Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manurk112

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Hi,

I'm wondering which configuration I should take for the retina 13 between the standard i5 2,6 / 8 gigs / 512 & a BTO i5 2,6 / 16 gigs / 256.

I use it mainly for work, and do use parrallels from time to time to use microsoft office windows, which is definitively better on windows.

as of now, I have a macbook air with parrallels 8 and windows xp, and I'm wondering if 8 gigs would be enough for virtualization with 7 or 8 or if I should directly go to 16.

Thanks!

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
Hi,

I'm wondering which configuration I should take for the retina 13 between the standard i5 2,6 / 8 gigs / 512 & a BTO i5 2,6 / 16 gigs / 256.

I use it mainly for work, and do use parrallels from time to time to use microsoft office windows, which is definitively better on windows.

as of now, I have a macbook air with parrallels 8 and windows xp, and I'm wondering if 8 gigs would be enough for virtualization with 7 or 8 or if I should directly go to 16.

Thanks!

If you're not doing intensive stuff on both sides at the same time, you'll probably be just fine with 8GB. I have 16GB, but use RAM pretty aggressively on both sides (Windows and OSX) simultaneously when working. For just Office, you should be fine with 8GB, but it won't leave you a ton of headroom.

Curiously, I prefer working in OSX for everything possible, even Office, but often can't avoid it.

For me, 256GB just doesn't cut it. Cloud storage backed up at NSA facilities is an unattractive option IMO.

>

nissan.gtp

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
Virginia
buy all the memory you can afford -- the SSD can be changed out later if necessary (and externals esp on Thunderbolt) are plenty fast for 'overflow'

manurk112

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Thanks for your answer. I finally took the 16gb with 512. No more dilemmas :D

Guy Mancuso

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Thanks for your answer. I finally took the 16gb with 512. No more dilemmas :D

Good move with no options to replace later, its a smart move. I would never go under 16gb myself but I do make use of it as well, so that one is a no brainer for me.

T-Bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013
Hmm I have heard this somewhere before. Waiting for skylake 32GB thread!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.