Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
I want to buy a base model 21.5" iMac. My question is, how important is it that i get one with a 1TB fusion drive? It adds $200 to the cost. Is it worth it?

I do nothing too intensive, occasionally some photo editing. I'm in the US.

I'm looking at the $1,099 (-$200) bestbuy deal.
VS.
The apple store $1,199 (-$100?) + $200 fusion drive = $1,399
Go for fussion, it speeds up computer overall.

Tears Apart

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
Outside Closer
Education+Black Friday?

Hi all,

Can the education discount in any way be added to Black Friday's discounts?

In the online store that doesn't seem possible...

Thanks

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Hi all,

Can the education discount in any way be added to Black Friday's discounts?

In the online store that doesn't seem possible...

Thanks

Almost certainly not I'm afraid. Still is worth asking when the store comes back up. Also remains to be seen whether or not a military discount can be stacked here as well.

Wondering what is taking Apple so long to put the store back up. It is 12:14 am PST and it is still down!

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Store just went back up, with no updates, lol

I just noticed that, too. The link now says the Friday event "is here" but the prices are the same, so we still don't know whether it is gift cards and/or discounts here.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Store just went back up, with no updates, lol

For me it came back up with a new green banner about today's sale! ...but no actual sale prices :eek: EDIT: speak of the devil: gift cards just appeared! Much like Australia: $50 off the retina Mini for instance. (Better than Australia: US$!)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
For me it came back up with a new green banner about today's sale! ...but no actual sale prices :eek:

At least I know it's not just me and I'm not crazy...

Maybe they are offering 0% discounts "TODAY ONLY!!!!" :D

----------

For me it came back up with a new green banner about today's sale! ...but no actual sale prices :eek: EDIT: speak of the devil: gift cards just appeared! Much like Australia: $50 off the retina Mini for instance. (Better than Australia: US$!)

I just saw it. It's the old mini, not the Retina.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
Finally, Europe gets the better deal.

The US Apple Store is offering gift cards.

All my friends are sleeping in.

nim81

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2010
"European Black Friday sales"? :confused:

Since when was Black Friday a thing outside the US? I thought it was something to do with Thanksgiving or something like that?

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Since when was Black Friday a thing outside the US? I thought it was something to do with Thanksgiving or something like that?
And Thanksgiving has something to do with harvesting crops. And crops only grow inside of the US borders, so naturally europeans never had a reason to thank god for the harvest. Also european children don't like candy, that's why we don't have Halloween over here either.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
If anyone wants a slightly cheaper case, John Lewis (UK) are selling them with 20% off (Apple and 3rd party).

£44 for the mini case is still bad, but less bad that £55!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
And Thanksgiving has something to do with harvesting crops. And crops only grow inside of the US borders, so naturally europeans never had a reason to thank god for the harvest. Also european children don't like candy, that's why we don't have Halloween over here either.

And we don't have "Independence Day". But we have "Good riddance" day :D

We also don't have "Holidays", but we have "Christmas". Well, in some places :mad:

----------

Historically Apple has a policy of only one discount per purchase. They don't allow compounding discounts. Then again, most retailers have this policy.

I remember going to a store that offered a £10 gift card if you paid £50 or more. We picked three sets of items each for £50. Paid the first lot, got a gift card. Paid the second lot using the gift card, got another gift card. Paid the third lot using the second gift card, got a third gift card. Which we spent another day.

Had to be done that way, because if you spent £150 or any higher amount, they still gave you only one gift card.

IeU

macrumors member
May 1, 2011
Are these discounts online only or can you get them at the stores too?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Thanks! I hadn't thought of that. The 256GB flash storage option for the iMac is no additional cost. However the external HD w/ thunderbolt is $199 for 1TB. I have about 300GB of stuff currently and I doubt I'll need more than 1TB in the next 4 years, so the expandability isn't a huge concern.

I really want to save that $300 tomorrow, but the fusion/ssd speed looks glorious.

If you use SSD and a second drive, you will forever be moving things from one drive to the other. Fusion does that automatically. And it actually moves _bits of files_ when they are needed or not. For example, when I open iTunes, it displays the artwork of all music files. Fusion will manage to put all that artwork which is _inside_ your music files onto the fast SSD portion, leaving the rest on the slower drive (unless it is music that you play a lot, or your SSD drive would be empty otherwise).

Also, buying a Thunderbolt external drive is pointless. USB 3 drives are just as fast and a lot lot lot cheaper. An external hard drive is limited by the speed of the drive itself, not by the speed of the connection.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
OK, Apple gave mi CPU update in my new MB Pro retina for free... no reason to be angry:)

youknome

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
"European Black Friday sales"? :confused:

American companies have been doing this for a good number of years, offering the same sort of sales here in the UK too.

Even non-American companies have jumped onto the bandwagon just to make extra cash as well.

joeluken

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2013
No deals on the iPhone. Shame. Think I'll wait and see what deals are in the shops tomorrow. I thought Black Friday was supposed to be a day of mega deals but I haven't seen anything extra special at all anywhere online.

Oh well happy thanksgiving. Enjoy your turkey and football.

If you plan to buy online it's worth checking out quidco or topcash back. Looks like they're offering 3-3.15% on the 5S today only (?) which is usually excluded from cashback. Not massive but £18 back on the 64Gb.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
If you use SSD and a second drive, you will forever be moving things from one drive to the other. Fusion does that automatically. And it actually moves _bits of files_ when they are needed or not. For example, when I open iTunes, it displays the artwork of all music files. Fusion will manage to put all that artwork which is _inside_ your music files onto the fast SSD portion, leaving the rest on the slower drive (unless it is music that you play a lot, or your SSD drive would be empty otherwise).

Also, buying a Thunderbolt external drive is pointless. USB 3 drives are just as fast and a lot lot lot cheaper. An external hard drive is limited by the speed of the drive itself, not by the speed of the connection.

So much conveniently skimmed over here.

To start with SSD gives the best PERFORMANCE for boot drives and not these Fusion things. If your SSD fails, you can be up and running from a clone in a fraction of the time compared to a Fusion. Both reasons why professionals are not using Fusion's — hence why the Apple certainly would never offer such a Fusion option for them in their new Mac Pro.
You also do not need to "forever be moving files from one drive to another", you just need to set-up the your Docs, Music, and Video files to always save to the external — a piece of cake.

As for Thunderbolt not mattering over USB 3, that's not really true either. As many people who use both realise; Thunderbolt offers much lower LATENCY. Even on smaller 1/2-drive externals, this means better performance for regular saving/reading to/from an external drive. And as for price, yes USB 3 are more prevalent (just due to Win usage) so there may be more offerings out there, but there are some great deals on smaller Tbolt drives now to make their usage more realistic (e.g. the Lacie 3TB is on sale today, but normally deals can be found), and even more so if you go for higher storage capacity models...

e.g. the WD 8TB Tbolt can be had for £470 = £58/tera. Not bad at all, plenty of space over two drives making possible to use in RAID 1 to offer some level of redundancy*, giving 4TB of space to use over a period of time, depending on your usage could be 2-3 years, making it great value LONGTERM over small cheaper options (WD fixed the sw recently too). And manufacturer guarantees on drive failure are generally good these days too.

*Though not complete redundancy, as for that you'd need a separate drive, and for the truly secure, preferably with another separate drive offsite, lol! But for someone on a tight budget, RAID 1 is a start.

Last edited:

newfoundglory

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
there was £30 off the retina mini at tesco... i got my space grey 16GB for £289 (+289 club card points). Not as cheap as buying in US dollars but pretty damn good for the UK!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.