Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nimraynn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Maidstone, UK
Hi,

I have bought an iMac G4 and the DVD drive is knackered. It'll read CD's, but it won't read DVD's at all. Doesn't matter if they're retail discs, genuine Apple discs, DVD-R, DVD-RW's, nothing. If it's got DVD in the name, it won't read it. Just spits it out a minute later after what sounds like no attempt to read it. Tried an audio CD and that is fine.

I will be trying a cleaner disc to see if that rectifies the issue... but if that doesn't work, I'd be looking at a drive replacement.

So my first question is... will a SuperDrive from a PowerMac G5 fit?

Second question, if not, will any other readily available DVD drive fit? Or does it have to be a specific iMac drive?

We have a few redundant PowerMac G5's at work that are about to get scrapped, most of which are missing loads of components or have fried processors... but they've all got SuperDrives which, as far as I know, are perfectly fine.

I've look at a few guides to crack open the iMac G4 and it looks like it can be a right pain to do, so wanted to make sure that when I do it, I do it right.

Depending on what happens, I may not even bother. If I can rebuild it using target disk mode, I may not even bother replacing the drive as I'm not sure I'd ever use it... but I don't like knowing something isn't working. :eek:

Cheers,
Mike

Xylene

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2006
iMac G4's use standard IDE optical drives, just like the G5. It will work. Just make sure you set the jumper to the appropriate setting before reassembling.

nimraynn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Maidstone, UK
Thanks.

So I take it there are no worries about the physical size of the drive? I seem to remember the drive in the PowerMac being relatively long compared to those I've seen fitted into the small form factor desktop PC's we use. I haven't opened up an iMac myself, so don't know how tight it is space wise. :)

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Thanks.

So I take it there are no worries about the physical size of the drive? I seem to remember the drive in the PowerMac being relatively long compared to those I've seen fitted into the small form factor desktop PC's we use. I haven't opened up an iMac myself, so don't know how tight it is space wise. :)

I don't remember seeing any of those long drives in G5s, but it's been a while and I could be wrong. I've replaced some of the drives in my iMac G4's over the years with random junk I had around the house and I haven't run into fitment issues myself, but those long drives are out there.

The above post was me, I logged into my old account while half asleep.

nimraynn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Maidstone, UK
I don't know why I thought they were long ones. I've just been out to salvage them from the machines and they're perfectly normal sized drives :eek: Must just be my eyes.

Thanks for your help. I'll test these drives in my G5 first, then give it a go at the weekend I think :)

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Almost ALL DVD drives have the same general shape, and will fit in most computers, older macs, or pcs. I said older Macs, because the newer 2012 Macbooks have VERY thin superdrives, and might not fit in a standard slot. EDIT: Most drive connectors are removable and can be replaced with a different connector.
See:

Attachments

• dell_cdrom.jpg
    dell_cdrom.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 13229-laptop-dvd-burner-battery-external-drives-1.jpg
    13229-laptop-dvd-burner-battery-external-drives-1.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 134

havokalien

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2006
Kelso, Wa
Too long

A G4 iMac needs a shorter drive than is in the G5. Height and width are same but overall length is too long. When you do take your imac apart remember thermal paste for the heat sink. It's needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.