Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
I just bought a used One GPE off of ebay. Have been pretty disappointed with iOS 7 and decided that it was time to give Android a try. After all, since Apple has now jumped on the Android flat-design bandwagon, I figured I might as well go with the genuine article. I would have bought a Nexus 5 but I didn't want to wait for 4 weeks. The One is a beautiful phone and this seemed like the best (and cheapest) way to try out stock Android.

Since this is my first time using an Android phone, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for good widgets/mods/apps. I have already been looking at mods to get notifications on the lock screen. But, I would appreciate any other suggestions on how to get the most out of Android.

WilliamBateman

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
I just bought a used One GPE off of ebay. Have been pretty disappointed with iOS 7 and decided that it was time to give Android a try. After all, since Apple has now jumped on the Android flat-design bandwagon, I figured I might as well go with the genuine article. I would have bought a Nexus 5 but I didn't want to wait for 4 weeks. The One is a beautiful phone and this seemed like the best (and cheapest) way to try out stock Android.

Since this is my first time using an Android phone, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for good widgets/mods/apps. I have already been looking at mods to get notifications on the lock screen. But, I would appreciate any other suggestions on how to get the most out of Android.

Best advice is to just google best Android apps and look at what's most popular in the Play store. Great choice!

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Just sold my 5S and bought a One as I hate ios7 so really looking forward to this phone.
Heard great things about it but very wary of the quality control issues on the build.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Just sold my 5S and bought a One as I hate ios7 so really looking forward to this phone.
Heard great things about it but very wary of the quality control issues on the build.
If you heard about these issues on MacRumors, take it with a grain of salt. The same complaints are leveled against every Apple product ever made. ;)

My wife and son and I all love our HTC One phones. Enjoy it! :)

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
My HTC One just received Android 4.3 and Sense 5.5.
My Verizon HTC One received a firmware update today. I read that Verizon is doing 4.3 in two stages, and this would seem to be the first stage. The second is supposed to be in December, and Verizon says 4.4 will be released in January. Weird, but that's what I read.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Ew, not a fan of gold and black at all. Looks incredibly dated, like something that belongs in the 70s or 80s. Also too much gold IMO and just proves why Apple didn't make a gold iPad.

Ragnarianrok

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2013
HTC announces Golden-colored One

looks better than gold 5S in my opinion.

This is actually pretty nice.

HTC One in colors actually looks great. If anyone's ever seen the red or blue in color, they look pretty spectacular. Pictures do them no justic.

I guess the HTC One is just a nicely designed phone overall.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Just updated to KitKat.

Time to see what has changed. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-25-16-27-19.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-25-16-27-19.png
    195.8 KB · Views: 116

rogeliojeda

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2011
I just bought an used HTC One 64GB unlocked, it is on Android 4.3 however Sense version it's 5.0, shouldn't it be 5.5? How can I update it? I've been looking up at several websites without any luck

(I'm using it with the Mexican carrier Telcel)

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I just bought an used HTC One 64GB unlocked, it is on Android 4.3 however Sense version it's 5.0, shouldn't it be 5.5? How can I update it? I've been looking up at several websites without any luck

I'm using a HTC One on AT&T. It is on Android 4.3 and Sense 5.0.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany

IIRC only the european (or EMEA) has sense 5.5. But I can tell you it's not THAT important, there are only some minor changes overall.

WilliamBateman

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
HTC putting Samsung to shame again!

http://www.androidcentral.com/kitka...ut-unlocked-and-dev-edition-htc-one-phones-us

KitKat and sense 5.5 already rolling out to unlocked and Dev edition htc one handsets.

Amazing work.

Probably because no one is buying the GPE or DEV edition of the S4, so its not like it matters anyways. People buy an S4 for all the great software TW brings to it, things no other phone on the market has. They don't buy one to get a stripped down, boring version of Android.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.