Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I just want to add that the way the pictures look is not necessarily dependent on the screen itself. I have a MacBook Pro with both MacOS and Windows 7 installed on it. When I edit pictures on MacOS and then view them in Windows on the same screen, they look much worse there. I use Pixelmator for photo editing purposes, but I don't think it is the reason of the problem.

That they look better in one OS compared to the other is actually irrelevant. Ideally you would have a good measured profile for each. If you're setting it up to match prints, you would turn the display down until they match under consistent lighting. You can go much further than that in terms of color management, but that would at least be a start. Just don't assume that suggestion to be an exact science.

I found an article that is worth reading. It seems the difference in how the pictures look on Windows and MacOS is caused by different gamma profiles used by the operating systems. You can see what happens if you change your gamma settings in MacOS from 2.2 (which is the default one) to 1.8 (go to your display settings in System Preferences).

What you mention is dated by many years, and it's the worst possible advice you could give anyone. I am just typing this because I don't want to see people run into more problems due to misguided words. Even Apple ditched the gamma 1.8 default with Snow Leopard, and none of the hardware they've used in recent years would work well at that setting anyway. You can dial whatever you want to in profile instructions, but that doesn't change what is available from the underlying hardware, which is designed to be run at gamma 2.2.

nitromac

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2012
US
Yes, PC screens tend to be of lesser quality depending on year and brand, and are a lot darker/warm with low contrast. Look at something like Windows XP on a Mac screen today, and it's so vivid and saturated. Same thing can be said about Windows in general, it looks so much more colorful on our screens.

What an ignorant answer.

There are many Windows laptops out there with well calibrated displays, and either way you should be doing any critical color work on a quality external display, not a run of the mill mac. I avoid my MBP screen like the plague for photo work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.