Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stupididiot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2009
I have Core Temp 1.0 installed and it shows the machine shooting straight up to 100 C unless I have a fan blowing across the back of the machine.

I also have MacFan running and it shows the systems fans working at max speed as needed.

So I'm very confused, because this doesn't seem to be a fan driver issue, and this does not happen in the Mac OSX partition.

I'm also not necessarily pushing the machine very hard...

When the fan is blowing across the back it stays cool though.

Any help?

Nov 28, 2010
located
If the iMac would overheat, it would shut down, to prevent actual overheating.
Anyway, what are you actually doing during those high temperature times and what are the fans' speeds?

Since you did not specify the actual iMac you have (there were several options in 2009 ranging from C2D via i5 to i7 CPUs), maybe this can help: Those Macs in their heat - a sine of over-heating? - a short story by Mister GGJstudios

stupididiot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2009
BsGRFyJ.png

That's when the core0 temp is around 89 C

CPU is Core 2 Duo E7600

I'm doing anything from transcoding (which kicks the CPU to 100%) or just letting it idle. It will always eventually shut down to prevent over heating

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located

That's when the core0 temp is around 89 C

CPU is Core 2 Duo i5 E7600

I'm doing anything from transcoding (which kicks the CPU to 100%) or just letting it idle. It will always eventually shut down to prevent over heating

It seems the fans stay at idle speed, thus the high temperatures.
I do not know of any reliable Windows fan speed control application, but many seem to use SMC Fan Control in Mac OS X and set the fans' speed to the fullest and then switch to Windows.

PS: A Core 2 Duo (C2D) is not an i5. The E7600 is a C2D.

stupididiot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2009
Thanks for the correction.

I'm using MacFan now to increase the fan speeds manually, we'll see how it goes

stupididiot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2009
It's working well!

I guess the fans weren't working properly after all.

My only remaining concern is that I don't know which fans are which. Can anyone advise me as to how to figure that out?

KootenayJim

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
british columbia
2008 imac mtn lion overheating

Hi All - my imac has crashed a number of times- the cpu shut down with glowing screen and since I appreciate others offering tips on their apple problems this is what I did which has dropped the heat at the problem area at the top left dead air space in the computer
I had a copper aluminum heat sink with dispersal vanes from a dismantled windows tower and secured it to the back of the imac with gorilla tape- has dropped the cpuheat by 15 degrees
I also boosted smc fan control speeds
I ground a convex curve into the heat sink copper base on my lapidary grinder to fit the imac back
I like my apple but dont like apples denial of the problem- I already had to replace my HD out of my own pocket which failed and I think the overheating caused it but the dealer just pooh poohed my concerns
kj
thanks all

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.