Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
two questions:

1- I have some data like "contacts" on iCloud. After restoring, how can I bring back these data from iCloud to my phone?
Sign into iCloud from your phone (in the Settings area).

2- I have some important "notes" in my phone. When I go to iCloud and click the "notes" section, this message appears: "iCloud email needed." So I don't now if there is a copy my phone's notes on iCloud.
The Notes feature of iCloud require that the iCloud email feature be enabled. If you've never enabled the iCloud email feature on the device, then the device never sync'ed the Notes up to iCloud.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
first of all, you use this passcode multiple times everyday to unlock your phone. one does simply "forget" it. I'm sorry, but frankly i don't think i believe the OP.

sounds like another person trying to bypass someone else's lost/found/stolen phone which is locked.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
What I did, just in case...

1. Write password down

2. Place inside desk

Wa-La, no more issues ;) Simple. OP is now learning a valuable lesson.

hashia

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2013
first of all, you use this passcode multiple times everyday to unlock your phone. one does simply "forget" it. I'm sorry, but frankly i don't think i believe the OP.

sounds like another person trying to bypass someone else's lost/found/stolen phone which is locked.

Dear, when I set the passcode, it was the first time after a while and the passcode wasn't the one I had set previously.

----------

And finally I restored the phone in dfu mode. Then I restored my backup and fortunately it didn't ask me for passcode! So my concern was unnecessary!

But a remainder problem: after restoring the backup, all of my data like contacts, text messages, notes, songs, ... are completely restored, except apps. None of my apps are restored, but the default ones like calculator, note, navigation, calender, ....

Can you help me plz?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Dear, when I set the passcode, it was the first time after a while and the passcode wasn't the one I had set previously.

----------

And finally I restored the phone in dfu mode. Then I restored my backup and fortunately it didn't ask me for passcode! So my concern was unnecessary!

But a remainder problem: after restoring the backup, all of my data like contacts, text messages, notes, songs, ... are completely restored, except apps. None of my apps are restored, but the default ones like calculator, note, navigation, calender, ....

Can you help me plz?

just go to the app store and re-download them.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
an iTunes backup.

Is it useful to restore the backup for the second time? :confused:

Contacts, notes, etc. are stored in your iCloud account, not necessarily a backup.

Are you sure you clicked restore in iTunes, and once it was complete, selected to restore from a backup (selecting your most recent iTunes backup)?

And I'm not sure it would change anything by trying it again, but it could be worth a shot.

hashia

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2013
Contacts, notes, etc. are stored in your iCloud account, not necessarily a backup.

Are you sure you clicked restore in iTunes, and once it was complete, selected to restore from a backup (selecting your most recent iTunes backup)?

And I'm not sure it would change anything by trying it again, but it could be worth a shot.

I'm completely sure that I've restored in iTunes and selected to restore from a iTunes backup, not iCloud.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'm completely sure that I've restored in iTunes and selected to restore from a iTunes backup, not iCloud.

Alright, and after you did that and your phone turned back on and was restoring your data, did any of your apps appear on the screen as waiting to load? Or did nothing show up at all? They didn't get loaded to pages further back?

If nothing loaded, I think it'd definitely be worth giving it another shot making sure you are selecting the correct backup (if there's more than one).

Something could've gone wrong with the first restore, a bug or disconnecting early, something.

Either way, doesn't hurt to give it another shot.

hashia

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2013
Alright, and after you did that and your phone turned back on and was restoring your data, did any of your apps appear on the screen as waiting to load? Or did nothing show up at all? They didn't get loaded to pages further back?

If nothing loaded, I think it'd definitely be worth giving it another shot making sure you are selecting the correct backup (if there's more than one).

Something could've gone wrong with the first restore, a bug or disconnecting early, something.

Nothing about apps appeard on the screen! The didn't get loaded.
And there was just one backup.

Ok, tnx. I'll restore the back again and share the result here.

hashia

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2013

When I was going to restore the backup for the second time, I encountered this message:

"Choose a backup to restore. This will restore only the contacts, calenders, notes, text messages, and settings. Not the iPhone firmware."

So my apps are lost, aren't they?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Tnx. But the bigger problem is: after forgetting the passcode, I connected the iPhone to the iTunes and backed up my files. Now I think if I restore it, the forgotten passcode will remain on the phone. :(

Nope. Lock screen passcodes and touch Id aren't backed up.

Restriction passcodes are.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
When I was going to restore the backup for the second time, I encountered this message:

"Choose a backup to restore. This will restore only the contacts, calenders, notes, text messages, and settings. Not the iPhone firmware."

So my apps are lost, aren't they?

Shouldn't be. It should back up apps. Try to restore from the backup. If it didn't work, something's gone wrong and it sounds like the app data is lost.

I've only used iCloud backups the past two years and never ran into this issue, but never did either using iTunes backups.

hashia

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2013
Nope. Lock screen passcodes and touch Id aren't backed up.

Restriction passcodes are.

Yep. You're right. I restored the backup and there was no passcode.

----------

Shouldn't be. It should back up apps. Try to restore from the backup. If it didn't work, something's gone wrong and it sounds like the app data is lost.

I've only used iCloud backups the past two years and never ran into this issue, but never did either using iTunes backups.

Tnx. I tried for second time, and again there was no apps. So I gave up. :(

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Tnx. I tried for second time, and again there was no apps. So I gave up. :(

Restored an iTunes backup? First guess is that the apps were never transferred to computer. Only app data goes in backup since you can redownload/sync apps. If they aren't on computer there is nothing that can be synced

You'll also see this is you restore an iCloud backup and skip signing into account(s) used for apps etc

hashia

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2013
Restored an iTunes backup? First guess is that the apps were never transferred to computer. Only app data goes in backup since you can redownload/sync apps. If they aren't on computer there is nothing that can be synced

You'll also see this is you restore an iCloud backup and skip signing into account(s) used for apps etc

Yep. You're right. Tnx.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.