Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

old john

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
England
I'm new to iPads (but a long-term user of Macs) and have always received my mail via POP servers. I was disappointed to find that checking the 'Sync Email Accounts' box only scyns the account settings, not the messages!

I understand the best way to have synced messages on the iPad and iMac is to move to using an IMAP server, such as gmail.

However, I'd like to copy the many email messages stored on my iMac (Inbox, Drafts & Sent) from Mail on the iMac to Mail on the iPad.

Is there any way to do that?

old john

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
England

Thanks for your suggestion. However, if you mean forwarding thousands of messages, it's not very practical and I should lose the original From: information -- all inbox emails would be from me!

Rather than Forward, Redirect might help get over some of the latter problem, but I was hoping for a more tidy and efficient solution to move whole mailboxes, with the results indistinguishable from how they would have been if received originally on the iPad.

Anyone know of such a solution?

----------

Configure it as imap

Thanks Ratatapa, but as you can see in my original post (2nd paragraph) I am already aware of that for new emails.

What I'm after is a way to transfer past emails, inbound and outbound ones, to the iPad.

I've moved emails between Macs since I first had email and have even used a third party app to convert my wife's Eudora mailboxes successfully to Apple Mail ones.

So I'm hoping someone may have come across an app that would transfer the mailboxes across to the iPad.

old john

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
England
You might be able to get them out of your iPhone backup file with "iPhone Backup Extractor" or something similar.

Unfortunately, I don't have an iPhone and so no iPhone backup file. My iMac is backed up, but presumably the name "iPhone Backup Extractor" doesn't sound too hopeful for me doing anything with that. I'll take a quick look to see what's said about it; who knows it may lead to a different solution. Thanks anyway.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Set up the same email account using exchange on your phone & leave POP settings in your PC untouched. I'm basing that you are using hotmail.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Unfortunately, I don't have an iPhone and so no iPhone backup file. My iMac is backed up, but presumably the name "iPhone Backup Extractor" doesn't sound too hopeful for me doing anything with that. I'll take a quick look to see what's said about it; who knows it may lead to a different solution. Thanks anyway.

I've been reading your question backwards.

Usually, you can copy messages from one folder to another in Mac Mail regardless of what account they're in. So, once you have an IMAP account set up, you could copy the POP messages to those folders.

Riccard

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2013
do you have a solution ?

Hi Old John,
were you able to find a proper solution??
I'm facing the exact same problem.

Riccard

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2013
mail folders from mac to iPad

Over the years I have moved mail folders from one mac to another just by copying the 'Mail' file stored
in /Users/yourusername/Library and a file called
'com.apple.mail.plist'
inside the folder named 'Preferences'.

But, still not sure how to go about this going from
the macbook to my new ipad air.

Like you, I'm looking for a clean solution, none of that forwarding and
redirecting thousands of emails...

graley

macrumors regular
May 25, 2010
Australia
Mail transfer to multiple devices

Try setting up icloud in both devices in system prefs. Set mail to work in cloud, as long as both devices have same Apple ID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.