Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WebDevDude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
I'm trying to change the Finder's sidebar icons to match my custom icon I've setup for a folder. See the screenshot to see how the icon is a Folder icon, not the custom icon I set on the folder.

folder_sidebar.png

Does anyone know how to fix this?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm trying to change the Finder's sidebar icons to match my custom icon I've setup for a folder. See the screenshot to see how the icon is a Folder icon, not the custom icon I set on the folder.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Drag or Command-drag any icon off the sidebar. Then drag any file or folder onto the sidebar to add it. It should reflect the icon of the item you added. This works for most cases. However, the item you've selected is a Dropbox folder. Dropbox icons work differently, because they're changed, depending on the status of the folder. I don't think you can get Dropbox folders to work like you want.

WebDevDude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
Drag or Command-drag any icon off the sidebar. Then drag any file or folder onto the sidebar to add it. It should reflect the icon of the item you added. This works for most cases. However, the item you've selected is a Dropbox folder. Dropbox icons work differently, because they're changed, depending on the status of the folder. I don't think you can get Dropbox folders to work like you want.

This doesn't work in Lion for any type of folder. I created a custom icon for a folder, then dragged it to the sidebar, but it still came up on the sidebar as a regular folder.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
You cannot change the folder icons in the Finder sidebar anymore.

This is because of how the Finder handles the new monochromatic icons. It sources them from a tiny internal library of various icons and nowhere else (this is to ensure uniformity across anything placed in the sidebar- having a color icon there could cause the universe to end prematurely).

My advice- let Apple know about it. You're not the first person to complain about this (as this is directly related to the lack of color icons in the Finder), and you won't be the last.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

-SC

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
and they are right to remove it,

going back to a SL finder is really irritating, the colours are distracting. reminds me a bit of how websites used to look like in the 90s

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV

going back to a SL finder is really irritating, the colours are distracting. reminds me a bit of how websites used to look like in the 90s

And the monochrome colors don't take you back to the 80s?

Also, if you want monochrome in Snow Leopard, thats an option... If you want color in Lion, well... thats not.

Last edited:

sebastiannz

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
grey is drab, too minimal even for apple. colour option would be great...will email apple and I'm sure they'll add it :p

Ariez

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007

Only a Apple apologist will have this stupid, idiotic, view.

Have it be default, and be minimalistic? Sure I get that, but to remove the way we can customize it and tout "THATS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE!, STOP MESSING WITH PERFECTION!" is pathetic at best.

Reactions: kennethbatelman

muis

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
Only a Apple apologist will have this stupid, idiotic, view.

Have it be default, and be minimalistic? Sure I get that, but to remove the way we can customize it and tout "THATS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE!, STOP MESSING WITH PERFECTION!" is pathetic at best.

Completely agree with Ariez.
I hate Apple wannabe's. Remember they used Microsoft software in the first Apple 2 computer (1977).

OSX is a perfect OS, although its very nice looking!

fmaxwell

Nov 27, 2008
Remember they used Microsoft software in the first Apple 2 computer (1977).

I hardly think that Apple's use of a BASIC interpreter from Microsoft on a text-based OS is germane to a discussion of the GUI look and feel of OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.