Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Ok so after almost giving up on my 2011 27 iMac I made the splurge tonight and bought a refurb little big disk 240 ssd. My goal is to turn this into a fusion drive with the internal 1tb hardrive. My question is being the little big disk is 2 ssd drives is it possible to use them both with my internal as a fusion drive?? If not the two then do I have to change raid to 1 ssd 120 gb to do a fusion with the internal.

I didn't want to void AppleCare warranty so for $219 got this set up. Being it supports 2 ssd drive figured down the road I could swap them out. Anyhow anyone done this set up yet?? Thoughts suggestions. Any help comes in 3 days

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Yes, it is possible to use the RAID-0 LittleBigDisk SSD along with your hard disk as a Fusion drive. Simply use the RAID-ID when you build the fusion pairing.

However, I can't recommend creating a Fusion drive with part of it internal and part of it external due to the possibility of a cable disconnect. If the risk is acceptable to you, it will work.

Good luck and let us know your results.

BTW: I have used refurb LittleBigDisks and replaced 1 of the hard disks with a SSD to build a self-contained external Fusion drive which worked great.

-howard

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Yes, it is possible to use the RAID-0 LittleBigDisk SSD along with your hard disk as a Fusion drive. Simply use the RAID-ID when you build the fusion pairing.

However, I can't recommend creating a Fusion drive with part of it internal and part of it external due to the possibility of a cable disconnect. If the risk is acceptable to you, it will work.

Good luck and let us know your results.

BTW: I have used refurb LittleBigDisks and replaced 1 of the hard disks with a SSD to build a self-contained external Fusion drive which worked great.

-howard

Very cool news! I figured it would be ok since it will be in closed room. So since you have used this little big disk will it shut down when I shut mac down, or do I manually shut it down. Same with sleep etc. Hoping it will shut down alongside iMac without having to manually shut off.

Yes I will for sure post the results! It has the 3.4 i7 with 20gb ram and 1gb video so very excited to see types of numbers I will get for read and write.

Last edited:

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Very cool news! I figured it would be ok since it will be in closed room. So since you have used this little big disk will it shut down when I shut mac down, or do I manually shut it down. Same with sleep etc. Hoping it will shut down alongside iMac without having to manually shut off.

Yes I will for sure post the results! It has the 3.4 i7 with 20gb ram and 1gb video so very excited to see types of numbers I will get for read and write.

It will power up and down, as well as sleep with your computer.

Although it will void your warranty to open the case, many who have SSD only LBDs disconnect the somewhat loud fan with no reported ill effects (heat) and much quiet. :)

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
It will power up and down, as well as sleep with your computer.

Although it will void your warranty to open the case, many who have SSD only LBDs disconnect the somewhat loud fan with no reported ill effects (heat) and much quiet. :)

I have read that disconnecting fan makes it a much nicer external. I assume it is pretty easy fix? Since ssd doesn't get hot not worried about heat

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I have read that disconnecting fan makes it a much nicer external. I assume it is pretty easy fix? Since ssd doesn't get hot not worried about heat

I run mine without the fan and the case gets barely warm, if at all. The finned case makes a nice heatsink/radiator. :)

It is easy to do ... the fan unplugs from the logic board, but you have to open the case which has warranty stickers on the screws. Mine were referb hard disk units, so I didn't worry about it once I verified they were working when received.

Nice little ThunderBolt enclosures!

-howard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.