Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndrewMRiv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Hello, everyone. I understand that iMacs have the ability to perform well for many years if it is well taken care of.

My question is how long do you keep your iMacs for? Do you buy a new on every couple years and take advantage of the great resale value? Do you keep them for 3-4 years? Do you keep they until they're barely holding on?

I am just curious as to what most people do. I have never owned an iMac (only MacBooks) and I plan on saving up for one to buy one in a year (or half a year if I get lucky) and I am just curious as to what others do.

Please state what your main uses are on your iMac if you have the time. Thank you!

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I have one that is from 2007 and it still preforms well. My main one which is new, which is for business (graphic & web design), is generally changed at or near the end of my Applecare. This way I never have to worry and have the latest from Apple.

My older one is not used for work and is a family machine that is mostly used for web browsing and the occasional small design job.

Last edited:

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
You'll come to find out that many people in this forum prefer to keep theirs right under the 3 year mark. This is to ensure that the iMac is under warranty at all times. Very smart if you ask me.

My last iMac I kept for about 4 years until I purchased my 2013 model.

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
I kept my last iMac (which was also my first) for almost 3 years. It still worked great and felt very confident selling it to a friend. That said, I think 3 years is the outer limit for me. My previous PCs generally got replaced about every 18 months so 3 years really seemed like a very long time. I think I'll keep with the 3 year rule for now but if a major design change or upgrade were to occur between 18 months and 3 years I think I'd just go for it.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
Got a mid 2010 iMac. Soon as the warranty ran out, I upgraded it with a SSD and gave it a whole new life. I recon I could get perhaps another 2-3 years out of it IF I weren't do video editing on it. Can begin to feel it slow down when rendering etc but extremelly zippy in other every day to day tasks such as browsing, facebookin, music, watching videos, boot up (under 12 secs!), loading applications etc.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I had a Power Mac G4 from 2004-2009, a mini from 2009-2013, and now a 2011 iMac. I plan on getting at least five years from this big fella :)

I tend to keep my Macs for ages, slowly upgrading them as I go along. I've bumped the RAM in my iMac to 26GB, and can always go to 32GB should that not be enough for my needs in the future. I also plan on putting in an SSD and setting up a Fusion Drive in a year or two, once prices fall enough to make me happy.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
I generally keep my computers for as long as they are useful. I think this is the most cost-effective strategy, although I can't prove it. I bought this iMac (my first) in May 2008, so it's more than 5 1/2 years old now.

I've maxed out the RAM (6 GB), I've installed a large SSD, replaced the optical drive with a 1 TB HDD, and made my own 1.5 TB Fusion Drive. It's great, and I'm pretty sure I'll get at least another 3 years from it!

This is my daily-user machine, and I prefer it over my much more powerful 2001 MacbookPro. It works perfectly well with no lags for all the usual things, including iPhoto, iTunes Airplay, and a Windows XP virtual machine under VirtualBox, where I have Office installed (though I don't use it much). I guess I don't do much heavy-duty stuff, but I do occasionally transcode videos, do some casual video editing with iMovie, and play a glider flight simulator in Boot Camp...

I've had a glitch with the video (resolved by driver change), and the audio-out jack generates static if it is accidentally bumped or wiggled, but that's the extent of my hardware problems. I never had Apple Care. I guess I'm a lucky guy!

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
every three years i get a new one for myself and i pass the old one down to the kids. so the oldest iMac in the house is 6 years old.

adr1974

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007
every three years i get a new one for myself and i pass the old one down to the kids. so the oldest iMac in the house is 6 years old.

Could you clarify that? Does each child get an iMac, or are they shared? I see your point if they're shared...but if they're not...then wouldn't that mean (provided you have two kids) that the youngest oldest iMac is 6...but is nearly 9 when you dispose of it?

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
Yes, the two kids share an iMac and an older MacBook. So each unit is about six years old.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Until it can no longer do what I need it to (or it dies). My current iMac will just about make it to 4 years before it will be replaced. I'll be replacing it about when the 2013 iMacs hit the refurbished store. Depending on the how much I can get for the old iMac, I may just keep it for various uses.

jondunford

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2013
Going for a poo Moderator
Whenever there is one with a feature that makes it worth upgrading to

If I buy in January and in September a new one comes out with something significant (to me) I will upgrade, likewise if nothing stands out to me for five years I won't :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.