Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jc0481

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2005
My credit card is not a big bill. It's $1,200. I have heard of people taking out student loans to pay their credit cards and other debts.

I am not going to take advantage of that. I have bad credit due to my relative screwing me over. I thought I could trust my relative by co-signing but unfortunately he proved me wrong.

I'm close to graduating and have a potential job offer after I graduate.

But I'm not sure how to take out a student loan to pay my debt. If someone can direct me how to do this I would appreciate it.

I don't have anything of value to sell either. I just hit this rut and this is the only way I know how. Also I can't get a second job because I am still going to school.

I have tried to research it but nobody states "HOW" to do it. They just say they did it and the search just comes up with student loan companies.
I hope I can get a check mailed to me and if I get too much I WILL be sending back the rest.

Jnesbitt82

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2013
Ohio
Dangerous ground your about to step on. Do not take out a student loan just to pay an already bad account. If the account is reporting as delinquent, then that will be on your credit report for 2 years minimum. Work out a payment arraignment with the credit card company until you can catch up. Do not create a new debt just to have temporary relief.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
can't pay the 20 bucks or so min payment?

Really - the minimum payment is probably even less than that.

If you have bad credit because of the co-signer, well, then the primary account holder (you) failed to make their payment on whatever it was otherwise it would've never landed on the cosigner to begin with. But based on this thread, it's pretty clear you have no financial sense.

You want to spend 10 years paying off $1200? Use your head for a minute here. Robbing Peter to pay Paul doesn't get you anywhere, but it will get you into 120 payments probably at 6.8% that will turn into several thousand bucks and will not be dischargeable in bankruptcy, should you ever end up in that boat.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Dangerous ground your about to step on. Do not take out a student loan just to pay an already bad account. If the account is reporting as delinquent, then that will be on your credit report for 2 years minimum. Work out a payment arraignment with the credit card company until you can catch up. Do not create a new debt just to have temporary relief.

Agreed. Find a way to make the payments. Payment on a $1200 loan shouldn't be very much.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I believe this falls in the "robbing peter to pay Paul" territory. Why in the world would you take out a loan to pay off credit card debt? This sounds incredibly dumb. While you blame some relative for your bad credit, something tells me you're not doing well anyway. This scheme is to obtain a loan that cannot be extinguished through bankruptcy, for example. So if you continue to get into trouble you can't even get rid of that debt. I'm saying that your credit decisions seem poor and bankruptcy could be something you'd try if you continue to get into trouble.

Make minimum payments on the credit card and avoid student loans at all costs if possible.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Take a job, not a loan.

I have "loaned" people money (at no interest) to pay off their debts………

Have written off being repaid by almost all. Most are a lost cause who go on to get further into debt.

I don't own much; don't have a credit card, and have never been in debt.

I do have a degree. Having worked my way through college, I graduated free of debt.

Now I have freedom.….. to enjoy a hugely satisfying job that pays a pittance.

Last edited:

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Money lesson... pay yourself first.

That means... first pay your education, pay your debs and then pay services.

With your credit card... just set up automatic payments above the interest rate so it will pay itself each month and reduce the debt. Lest say, you want to pay it in a year, well, make $70 payments per month, any way, every time you pay the % is less in $.

And do not use that credit card any more.

I use debit, the only risk is that my account can get ripped off if hacked. But still. I am going to use my credit card again just for protection, for bills.

Credit was conceive to but things for a business. Lest say, you need a printer for a business or any asset that will paid itself on a realistic transaction and then is when you need credit. Not to buy clothing or game consoles, no for luxuries.

So... leave your credit card paid itself. I had one with $5K and I was making $6K a month, I have been trying to pay it for more than a year. The problem is that you have extra expenses every month, you car brakes, phone bills... extras. So, just pay your credit card and do not use it. Or get a secure credit card with a $1000 limit.

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Chances are the bank won't approve a loan anyway, unless your credit card company hasn't reported you (yet) for not paying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.