Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shift Option K

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
On my 20" rev C iMac G5 the screen is blue colored, dim, and doesnt display true colors. Why is it like this, stuff gone bad or because i use an eMac power cord (didn't have anything else as that's what the previous owner of it gave me, he was a departmant manager of a shcool). I will try to get an iMac cord but I dont think it has to relate UNLESS ths cord for the crt.

nimraynn

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2011
Maidstone, UK
Power is power. It shouldn't be the power cable.

I'd suspect it's either a bad setting or a broken monitor cable somewhere. I'm sure you've probably checked this already, but in the Display settings under System Preferences, you can adjust the colour profile settings. May be worth checking this is setup correctly if you haven't already

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
London, The United Kingdom
On my 20" rev C iMac G5 the screen is blue colored, dim, and doesnt display true colors. Why is it like this, stuff gone bad or because i use an eMac power cord (didn't have anything else as that's what the previous owner of it gave me, he was a departmant manager of a shcool). I will try to get an iMac cord but I dont think it has to relate UNLESS ths cord for the crt.

This is ye old capacitors issue/graphic card issue, These iMacs have known issues with the capacitors on the logic bulging and/or exploding. Once the capacitors start having problems the iMac will show video related problems as well as problems starting up. You either need to replace the capacitors or the whole logic board, which you feel comfortable doing. (or you could pay someone to fix it)

Power is power. It shouldn't be the power cable.

I'd suspect it's either a bad setting or a broken monitor cable somewhere. I'm sure you've probably checked this already, but in the Display settings under System Preferences, you can adjust the colour profile settings. May be worth checking this is setup correctly if you haven't already

It would be great if it was that simple

Shift Option K

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
This is ye old capacitors issue/graphic card issue, These iMacs have known issues with the capacitors on the logic bulging and/or exploding. Once the capacitors start having problems the iMac will show video related problems as well as problems starting up. You either need to replace the capacitors or the whole logic board, which you feel comfortable doing. (or you could pay someone to fix it)

It would be great if it was that simple

Umm, where did I say I was comfortable with cracking it open? It was fine before I took it except it didn't boot. Reinstall of Leopard fixed the problem but screen is blue now, occasionally it will flash red or green patterns. Occasionally it will go back to normal. 

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Umm, where did I say I was comfortable with cracking it open? It was fine before I took it except it didn't boot. Reinstall of Leopard fixed the problem but screen is blue now, occasionally it will flash red or green patterns. Occasionally it will go back to normal. 

That's a hardware problem. While it's unfortunate, you may have a dying machine. It's likely that it would not be cost effective to fix. If it was just a little off, I might say try trashing the associated display profile before rebooting. I can't think of anything non-hardware related that would cause the red and green patterns. Those are typically signs of a dying graphics card.

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
London, The United Kingdom

Sorry I ment to say if you feel comfortable. Yep still sounds like the capacitors or graphics card issue, these iMacs G5 are famous for this issue.

tigerintank

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
if you have an external monitor - might be worth picking up a monitor cable on ebay and trying that? others will chime in if thats a bad suggestion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.