Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KompleX

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2008
Downey, CA
Well i dont snowboard but i like to be different i guess you could say. While everyone is crazy about jeans, im not....i wear mime wear sparingly. I have two pairs of cheap jeans and the last time i worn them was 3 months ago. I much prefer trackpants, cargos, camo pants and snow pants. To me, theyre just so much more comfy.
how cold is it? if the temperature is super cold then i wouldn't find it strange seeing people wearing snow pants in public. now if it's not even that cold then yes i would find it strange.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
What exactly are snow pants, and where would they be worn if not in public - are they a sort of surrogate for pajamas or something?

People wear them for skiing and snowboarding and tubing. Think of a ski jumper, but not the top part. Just waterproof and kind of poofy. Big enough to wear over a pair of jeans usually. You can keep them with you and then when its time to play, just put them on over whatever you are wearing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sow...pants&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=shop

Jnesbitt82

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2013
Ohio
If you like them, wear them. Don't worry about what society thinks. Hell, our society is the one that worshipped Lady Gaga after wearing a suit made of meat. I think your choice is more acceptable. :)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
OK...these are women's snow pants.

This is what all the fuss is about...

Why not wear in public on a cold day!? There is also a bib version.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-29 at 5.23.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-29 at 5.23.21 PM.png
    94.5 KB · Views: 108

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
According to a very chic Italian friend, it's not what you wear, it's how you wear it.

Anyways, I have very fond memories of a pair of burgundy bibbed ski pants.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
OK...these are women's snow pants.

This is what all the fuss is about...

Why not wear in public on a cold day!? There is also a bib version.

Here, in the coal mining regions of Appalachia, the very bulky and utilitarian looking flame retardant overalls used by coal miners have become very fashionable, and the folks who wear them (both male and female) out in public are considered chic.

It's rather common to see young women (obviously under the age of 18 -- too young to be a coal miner) wearing this outfit out in public. Couples wearing his and her versions of this outfit can often be seen shopping @ Walmart. They seem to enjoy the act of making a bold fashion statement and the compliments paid to them by envious shoppers in the checkout line.

photo5371.jpg

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Snow pants go well with winter coats like the one George wore on Seinfeld. :)

Seriously, there's nothing wrong with wearing them when it's cold, as long as they're not inappropriate. For example, I'd find it odd to see someone with snow pants at a business meeting. Thermal underwear is another option that works well and is much more discreet, if discretion is called for.

Attachments

• Costanza.jpg
    Costanza.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 125

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
They are snowboarding pants. Essentially rugged winter pants that have lining and usually cushion areas

People wear them for skiing and snowboarding and tubing. Think of a ski jumper, but not the top part. Just waterproof and kind of poofy. Big enough to wear over a pair of jeans usually. You can keep them with you and then when its time to play, just put them on over whatever you are wearing.

So, they're perfectly acceptable for wearing in public?

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
Don't even think about it. If someone thinks it looks silly, they will gossip about you and nobody will like you so that you will lose all your friends. Then you won't get a job, can't buy a home, you won't get a partner and you won't have children. And then you will die. Oh, and while some might say that we will all die in the end, don't forget that as opposed to the rest of us, you will die alone since you don't have children. Nobody will even notice that you're dead until the landlord shows up to evict you because dead people are unable to pay their rent.

And all because of a pair of snow pants to keep you warm in public. What a world. What a life!

:D

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If it's cold (20's or colder °F) outside and you are out and about, I don't see an issue. Inside, you might have to worry about getting hot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.