Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyMac1976

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2013
I'm still in the decision process on whether we should get a MBP or stay with a Windows PC. My wife & I are retired and use our computer for general home computing, i.e., email, word processing, and general excel spreadsheets, so no heavy or career applications.

I've read stories about folks who switched to a MBP years ago, and how much better OSX was than Windows, and back the I believe OSX was significantly better than Windows ME or Vista, but I'm not sure now-a-days if OSX is significantly better than let's say Windows 7.

So I would like to hear from folks who use their MBP's for general home computing, and have recently converted to MBP; I would like to understand what you found that was significantly better.

Of course, if you came from a low-mid range PC that was constantly giving you problems, that is understandable, as a MBP is considerably better quality wise, so I'd be more interested in hearing from folks who switched from an equivalent cost/quality Windows PC.

Thank you in advance!

EDIT: We also use a laptop for family pictures which are over 20GB, and music which is about 160GB

I wouldn't, unless you want to but there is no "business" case to do it. My '08 Latitude and '09 17" both accomplish the same thing and have the same build quality and both cost about the same new. In 2013 there is no OS that will not do what you are asking and do it with aplomb. Get the one that appeals to you most and don't forget to check out smaller vendors like System76.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.