Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

murkymudkip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
ok, guys. My MacBook Pro was stolen a while ago. I'm over the fact that I lost an expensive piece of equipment, but I'm still worried about my privacy. When it was stolen, it was password protected. On my iPad, I could still see for a couple days that my iCloud tabs on my macbook were still open. Today, I noticed that there are no more iCloud tabs from my macbook.

What are the chances that my macbook has been reset and all the personal files are gone? I think it was probably reset, especially since I believe the thief didn't know it was my Mac before he/she stole it.

Thanks for your help!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The chances of someone cracking or trying to access your data is probably pretty decent. I'm not sure what's on there, but I'd start notifying your credit cards/banks to play it safe.

All things being equal, its probably a really good idea to encrypt the drive using FileVault, I know that's water over the bridge for you, but when you get a replacement.

TheEnthusiast

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2013
If it was password protected, it would take a knowledgeable thief to crack it (home folders are hard to access), so my guess is the OS has already been re-installed. The iCloud tabs automatically close themselves, in the event that you are unable to do so or they don't refresh, after a few days. Even if they thief, tried to access files by connecting the HDD to another computer, home folders are still locked. I know, I've tried to do this when my Mac's screen wouldn't turn on and I wanted to access my important files. I couldn't even make modifications using Linux!

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Too late for the original poster but for everyone else, besides the login password for OS X, you should also set the efi firmware password. When this is enabled, a thief can't reinstall OS X or format or boot from DVD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.