Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
I'm just curious if anyone has bothered to rip Blu-ray movies and run them on the rMBP. With how good the screen is, I imagine you could get some pretty good results. Although I wonder if you could really tell the difference between Blu-ray and iTunes HD on a laptop.

Still, I prefer iTunes for the convenience/integration and also a good visual digital library on the Mac, and supposedly battery life would be better under Mavericks by watching an iTunes movie. But I do have some foreign movies I am considering ripping, as those aren't on iTunes or have forced/crappy subtitles.

Anyone? MakeMKV looks really good, and then HandBrake if you want to compress it.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
I was just thinking about this and figured I'd bump it up. Would be really curious to know if anyone bothers with Blu-ray on the rMBP.

I'm getting an external Blu-ray drive and will go from there. Definitely test it out for a few movies and see if I'm satisfied.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
I'm not sure there's really a question to be answered. BluRay quality is BluRay quality. The fact that a rMBP has a screen greater than 1080p doesn't get you any more quality than if you ripped it on a cMBP. There's no difference in the resulting quality of the movie file, just what you see on the screen.

And, yes, BluRay is far superior to iTunes HD in terms of quality. There's no comparison.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
I'm not sure there's really a question to be answered. BluRay quality is BluRay quality. The fact that a rMBP has a screen greater than 1080p doesn't get you any more quality than if you ripped it on a cMBP. There's no difference in the resulting quality of the movie file, just what you see on the screen.

And, yes, BluRay is far superior to iTunes HD in terms of quality. There's no comparison.

Yeah, I know it's still going to be 1080p. Retina doesn't change that. But seeing as the rMBP has a really good IPS display, I figured the picture would look pretty impressive.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013

None at all.

A shame apple wants to deny users that ability

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Yeah, I know it's still going to be 1080p. Retina doesn't change that. But seeing as the rMBP has a really good IPS display, I figured the picture would look pretty impressive.

Right. So your question amounts to "Since the rMBP has a better screen, will things on it look better than on the cMBP?" It should look very impressive indeed.

----------

None at all.

A shame apple wants to deny users that ability

To look at the flip side, all of the HDCP crap doesn't need to be dealt with. It doesn't bother me too much since I rarely watch videos on my MBP anyway. I might consider getting a BD drive for backing up the videos I own, but that's about it.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I've used MKV to rip a number of BRD's. They can then be played using VLC or encoded for iPad, ATV etc using Handbrake...As far as quality goes, the straight rip from MKV although the file sizes are huge...( 20GB + for an average movie) the quality is a little better, but not so much that you's want to keep them that way.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I tried playing a Blu-Ray ISO (~25GB file) in VLC on my 15" rMBP.

Image quality is impressive. It's hard to find a video played in full screen on a rMBP and see absolutely no compression artifact, but it was the case here.

Obiously, the image wasn't as sharp as it could have been given that 1080p is significantly less than 2880x1800, but there was still a noticeable difference compared to other 1080p sources like streaming or iTunes downloads.

However, I did it just out of curiosity. I rarely watch movies alone and rather watch them on an actual TV than on a laptop. I don't plan to do it again, especially since Blu-Ray ISOs are huge and watching a movie on a laptop on your laps in even worse if you need to have an attached external hard drive on top of it :p.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.