Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Voca

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Yes, I did start a post just a few days ago about the EFI BIOS password and was looking for some insights or intelligent ideas.

Nonetheless, I got my new BIOS chip in yesterday.

Here the quick walk-through:

(if you attempt to go this route, make sure the chip is programmed with the correct BIOS for your system)

FYI: if you are a beginner in soldering and heat gun applications - DON'T attempt do this!

1. Order the EFI chip, properly programmed for your system.
2. Disassemble your machine completely (don't forget the right speaker)
3. Brush connectors of the old chip with Flux
4. Solder will start melting at around 475 degrees, so use proper heat gun
5. Pull old EFI chip with tweezers
6. Place new EFI Chip in the same way as the old one on the board
7. Use heat gun to reflow the solder, make sure its properly aligned
8. Let the logic board cool down (1 hour)
9. Reassemble your machine

This technic to remove EFI Bios passwords, will change your Serial# and you will VOID your warranty, if you have any on your MBP.

Comments are appreciated!

Thanks for reading!

Pics found here: http://s175.photobucket.com/user/cookie5877/slideshow/2011 MBP EFI BIOS Password Locked

Last edited:

kaaz20

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2013
voca it looks as if you have done some fine work, but i have a few questions i have a macbook pro 2011 i7 that needs a new efi chip do i need to put in a new one, where do i get it and also can you give a step by step instruction 4 me to see what exactly to do so i dont mess anything up thank you in advance.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
3. Brush connectors of the old chip with Flux

Hey Voca, I'll be doing some repairs of my own soon and just was wondering if you could recommend a specific type of flux good for this application. I've heard good things about Kester and stuff, but I'd love to hear what you are using and how you are delivering it (flux pen, syringe, brush, etc).

Thanks for the write up!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.