Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leerkeller

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore, MD
I keep adjusting the view options for all my folders within finder, and for some reason they keep (usually) reverting back to the default folder settings*. This primarily seems to happen to my /user folder and macintosh hd folder, both of which have been reset going on a dozen times now. My pictures folder has been reset thrice, /user/library twice and a few other folders have been reset once. It usually resets to default view but in a few cases it has reverted to a seemingly random folder view setting, with a pinkish background and the icons jumbled in no sorting/arrange order. I never had anything like this happen to me in Snow Leopard. I am hoping that it is just some simple setting or option that I have mistakenly enabled. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

*sort by kind, 48 size icons, aluminum background color.

I want them to stay this way
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-06 at 10.00.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-06 at 10.00.19 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,368

leerkeller

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore, MD
Exactly how are you changing view options, starting with "I sit down at my computer..."

Well it depends on the folder, so I will go with the home folder. First click show view options. Set it to sort by none, arrange by name. Then select an icon size of 88. Slide the grid spacing slider all the way to the right. Select text size 12. Set label position to right. Leave item info and icon preview checked. Select picture background and then open desktop pictures folder and drag the chosen background into the square that says "drag image here". That is all, repeat when and if it resets.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-07 at 5.22.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-07 at 5.22.20 PM.png
    563.5 KB · Views: 1,277

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Ok, since you're using Show View Options, it's very odd that the settings you choose for your home folder will not stick. I think the first thing I would try is to log in under a different account and test it there. Of course, once reset, you'll have to shut down and log back in to that second account to see if the settings stuck.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
First click show view options. Set it to sort by none, arrange by name. Then select an icon size of 88. Slide the grid spacing slider all the way to the right. Select text size 12. Set label position to right. Leave item info and icon preview checked. Select picture background and then open desktop pictures folder and drag the chosen background into the square that says "drag image here". That is all, repeat when and if it resets.
Did you click "Use as Defaults" ?

leerkeller

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore, MD

Why would I do that? But no, the folders I customize change with no input on my part. It seems like now about half the time they change and wind up with seemingly random view options, with the icon not organized at all. It just happened about 20 minutes ago with my picture folder, which went from having a background of fog shrouded old pier pillings in a lake with all icons set to the right and organized by kind to what you see below.
attachment.php

This is really getting annoying and after days of investigation I am not closer to solving the problem.

BTW, this is what my default folder view looks like.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-09 at 10.04.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-09 at 10.04.30 PM.png
    87.4 KB · Views: 1,149
  • Screen Shot 2013-09-09 at 10.11.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-09 at 10.11.06 PM.png
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,153

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
If you're so annoyed with the problem, then my suggestion to try a different user account shouldn't be too onerous. Give it a shot. If that works, then we know that something in your main user account is hosed.

leerkeller

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore, MD
If you're so annoyed with the problem, then my suggestion to try a different user account shouldn't be too onerous. Give it a shot. If that works, then we know that something in your main user account is hosed.

It finally got annoying enough that I switched user accounts. It has been about a week now and things stay in place. The issue I have is all of the stuff that was unique to my old user account. Is there an easy way to transfer everything at once. I have like 200 gigs of pictures and 400 gigs of movies in my old user folder.

leerkeller

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore, MD
I apparently spoke too soon. The view options are jumbling again under this new user account in the exact same manner as before. This is terribly annoying and would do anything to fix it short of reinstalling the operating system.

*after finding the thread posted below in the Apple Support Communities it seems that I am not going to find any solution unless Apple fixes the bug.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4161958?start=0&tstart=0

Last edited:

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Didn't follow the link. Don't see what OS version you have after quickly skimming your previous posts. A known bug, eh? Too bad. It works fine for me. (Leopard)

leerkeller

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore, MD
The problem seems to have resolved itself now that I have upgraded to mavericks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-02 at 11.12.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-12-02 at 11.12.39 AM.png
    143.6 KB · Views: 414
  • Screen Shot 2013-12-02 at 11.12.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-12-02 at 11.12.48 AM.png
    146.7 KB · Views: 425
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.