Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

shoppingapps.jpg
Though Apple's iOS market share numbers have fallen behind Android in the past year, the platform still leads for Black Friday shopping.

According to research from IBM Benchmark, iOS users spent an average of $127.92 per order on Black Friday, versus an average of $105.20 per order for Android users.

Further, purchases from iOS devices accounted for 18.1 percent of all online sales tracked, while Android only represented 3.5 percent.

The data comes from millions of sales from 800 different U.S. retail websites tracked in IBM's Holiday Benchmark Report.

Separately, a report from Branding Brand (via TechCrunch) found that iOS made up two-thirds of mobile site visits to 152 smartphone-optimized websites.
According Branding Brand, iOS sent 66.62% of mobile site visits on Black Friday, while Android sent just 32.97% of the 9.3 million total visits accounted for across the sample 152 smartphone-optimized websites. These visits produced 174,111 orders, with a $93.20 average order value - an increase of 22.08% in average order value over Black Friday 2012.
Black Friday kicks off the traditional beginning of the holiday shopping season, continuing today with Cyber Monday.

Article Link: iOS Proves Much More Popular Than Android for Black Friday Shopping

quantumphysics

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2011
i've never bought anything on my iphone..and would probably wait till i get to a computer to even if i wanted to

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
this proves people are more price / cost conscious, lower the iPhone 5c price Apple!

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Further, purchases from iOS devices accounted for 18.1 percent of all online sales tracked, while Android only represented 3.5 percent.

Considering there are more android devices out there than iOS, that's pretty impressive.

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
Makes perfect sense, I wouldn't come near an Android with all its viruses and spam - let alone purchase anything on an Android.

Android does generally have more in-app advertising than iOS, if you call that spam. But it's almost impossible to get viruses on Android unless you use alternative app stores or install rogue .apk packages.

My experience shows that Android is like long-haul flights - those who hate on it can't be bothered to try it.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Interesting stat. To a point. But also quite a shoulder shrug. YAY - people spend more on Black Friday using their iPhone vs an Android phone.

Also - keep in mind that while Android dominates in the world - they do not massively dominate over Apple in the U.S. (A spread at least I could find of about 10%)

But given overall demographics that Apple users seemingly have more disposable income - and also spend more in general - is this really surprising to anyone?

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Makes perfect sense, I wouldn't come near an Android with all its viruses and spam - let alone purchase anything on an Android.

A system is only as secured as the person using it. I've used XP (a mal-ware magnet) for years without ever being infected by a virus. Not even once. Same with Android. I've yet to see any of the multitudes of viruses that infect android devices.

That being said, I would never, EVER use a phone for any purchase. Not even to refill the prepaid minutes. I don't trust phones; and I never will.

Lionel Messi

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2013
Barcelona, Spain
iOS > Android any day... This just proves that there are many viruses on Android devices and users are afraid to buy anything. Keeping that aside, anybody wanna play some football with me?

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
iOS > Android any day... This just proves that there are many viruses on Android devices and users are afraid to buy anything. Keeping that aside, anybody wanna play some football with me?

You can't play football, you're injured.

Renzatic

Suspended
That being said, I would never, EVER use a phone for any purchase. Not even to refill the prepaid minutes. I don't trust phones; and I never will.

But why? For all intents and purposes, ordering something online through Safari on your iPhone is exactly the same as ordering it through Safari on your Mac. As long as you're not infected with a keylogger, and the site you're ordering from has it's certs and security setup in working order, you're just as safe on one platform as you are on another.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
But why? For all intents and purposes, ordering something online through Safari on your iPhone is exactly the same as ordering it through Safari on your Mac. As long as you're not infected with a keylogger, and the site you're ordering from has it's certs and security setup in working order, you're just as safe on one platform as you are on another.

They are probably an Android user. I agree that shopping on my iPad feels the same or actually better than shopping on the computer. The iPhone is not that far behind for well done sites. Certainly feels just as secure.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I used my phone when at my brother's house for thanksgiving part 2.

i walked downstairs, added to my cart, purchased and walked back to the party.
much better than asking him to turn on his computer and use it to make a purchase...he'd ask why? why not use your phone? and then all the hassle.
I would have missed the deal.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Please explain how this proves your hypothesis.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Interesting stat. To a point. But also quite a shoulder shrug. YAY - people spend more on Black Friday using their iPhone vs an Android phone.

Also - keep in mind that while Android dominates in the world - they do not massively dominate over Apple in the U.S. (A spread at least I could find of about 10%)

But given overall demographics that Apple users seemingly have more disposable income - and also spend more in general - is this really surprising to anyone?
No, but then again are market share estimates (that probably include stuff like USB sticks running Android) showing Android dominating iOS a surprise either? Of course not, but every time those figures are released the Henry Blodgets of the world proclaim Apple is doomed. To me figures like this just prove Tim Cook's point about Apple being more interested in usage statistics than market share.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.