Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
That was my thought, too. Given the dominance of Android devices, I have to wonder what all those Android owners are actually doing with their devices. Obviously, not shopping online...

Android has replaced the basic flip-phone.

Nowadays... people around the world are buying phones and they happen to be running some version of Android. That means they get counted in Google's activation numbers... even if they are only used for voice and text.

That might explain how Android can have 80% market share... but have very little online engagement.

I also think we're forgetting the huge number of Android phones sold in parts of the world that might not have good 3G access. Again... there's probably not much web browsing, ad impressions, mobile purchases or app downloads happening in those places.

Those people just bought a phone to be a phone... and it just happens to be running Android.

"Android market share" includes ALL phones running Android: from a $50 phone sold in a developing nation... to a $600 flagship phone.

There may be a lot of Android smartphones out in the world... but they're not all being used as smartphones.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
No, but then again are market share estimates (that probably include stuff like USB sticks running Android) showing Android dominating iOS a surprise either? Of course not, but every time those figures are released the Henry Blodgets of the world proclaim Apple is doomed. To me figures like this just prove Tim Cook's point about Apple being more interested in usage statistics than market share.

I'm not sure usage stats are much better.

Ultimately - if the sale has been made - why would the company care if it's used or not. Oh sure - they care about usage as it relates to making money off their appstore and/or accessories they might sell.

Neither marketshare nor usage (alone) mean "everything" - to get anything meaningful - one needs to look at the big picture which is a combination of many data points. Not just one.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
An Asian no-name Android pirated-media-player fed by SD cards with no Internet connection at all is a "tablet" in name only, and a bottom-end Android feature-phone that has little app capability and no data plan (or one the user doesn't even know exists) is a "smartphone" in name only.

Neither one is much use to shop from, and neither is of much interest to web service companies or app developers. But they do seem to create a lot of meaningless "market share" numbers! :)

Ultimately - if the sale has been made - why would the company care if it's used or not. Oh sure - they care about usage as it relates to making money off their appstore and/or accessories they might sell.

Neither marketshare nor usage (alone) mean "everything" - to get anything meaningful - one needs to look at the big picture which is a combination of many data points. Not just one.

Agreed--more data points are better then fewer. It's also key to take each data point for what it truly means. And to decide what you care about measuring: company profit? Quality product? Happy users? Happy developers?

Usage alone is a great metric on some ways: it shows the value people are getting from their device, which is a feedback loop generating return customers and more top-quality apps.

Market share alone is a useless metric, even for one-time "if the sales has been made" numbers: the relevant sales metric there would be profits, which Apple and Samsung alone can claim, and Apple owns the best segment.

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
An Asian no-name Android pirated-media-player fed by SD cards with no Internet connection at all is a "tablet" in name only, and a bottom-end Android feature-phone that has little app capability and no data plan (or one the user doesn't even know exists) is a "smartphone" in name only.

Neither one is much use to shop from. But they do seem to create a lot of meaningless "market share" numbers! :)

I'm not sure this is really relevant. As I wrote earlier - this is about black friday - which is primarily - almost exclusively a US based event. And in the US - the Android/US "split" is just around 50% vs 40%

kdarling

macrumors P6
That was my thought, too. Given the dominance of Android devices, I have to wonder what all those Android owners are actually doing with their devices. Obviously, not shopping online...

I bought hundreds of dollars of Black Friday stuff via an Amazon app on an Android tablet (our house iPad just broke).

NONE of that would show up on this retail website report. Nor would any other App based purchases or activity.

--

These reports are advertisements for the product that creates the report. What they actually mean, is not always clear.

For example, this same report says that people in Atlanta out-shopped people in Los Angeles and Dallas and Houston, among many other big cities.

Does that mean people in Georgia are richer than people in California or Texas?

No, it just means more people in Atlanta went online to the web sites monitored by this report.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
This: iOS sent 66.62% of mobile site visits on Black Friday, while Android sent just 32.97% of the 9.3 million total visits. Android users are just too afraid to buy anything from their devices, and use the browser less than iOS users.

Was anyone surveyed as to their state of emotion?

No. One stat does not prove or disprove an emotional state. But feel free to believe that yourself.

Renzatic

Suspended
They are probably an Android user. I agree that shopping on my iPad feels the same or actually better than shopping on the computer. The iPhone is not that far behind for well done sites. Certainly feels just as secure.

Eh. Who knows. Really, I think the whole viruses on Android thing is vastly over exaggerated.

As far as I'm aware, there are no such thing as drive-by infections on Android. You actually have to take the time out to install an infected program off Google Play to catch anything. That means you don't really need anything like a virus scanner, only the smallest amount of caution and a bit of proactive research to stay malware free. It's not a big deal.

Though granted, it wouldn't hurt if Google took a page from Apple's book and curated their storefront to check for that crap to begin with.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Usage alone is a great metric on some ways: it shows the value people are getting from their device, which is a feedback loop generating return customers and more top-quality apps.

I know these are internet connected devices. But just because a particular method is "tracked" as the "baseline" for usage does not mean the device isn't being used.

You can argue that there are a lot of Android phones that are just being used as dumb phones - but if that's all the users want or need it for - they are using their phone and might have excellent customer satisfaction.

I also (unless I'm mistaken) was under the assumption that many of these tests aren't granular enough to determine if desktop mode is being used or not. I know I'm not the average user - but when prompted for a desktop site on my tablet or phone - I have always chosen that (or have it set in my app) because I (and many I know) prefer those to mobile sites.

Again - my point is - one piece of data (as you've agreed) isn't very telling.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I'm not sure this is really relevant. As I wrote earlier - this is about black friday - which is primarily - almost exclusively a US based event. And in the US - the Android/US "split" is just around 50% vs 40%

Granted, Asian non-Internet Android tablets wouldn't be relevant in the US (the Android low-end in the US at least is hooked up to home WiFi probably), but "smartphones" that should be called feature phones are rampant in the US.

(Tangent: I have a friend who got one for free, was excited, and pays for a data plan on contract... but the thing is practically useless. It's a name-brand Android device--not Samsung, I forget what--but it's in the ocean of bottom-end devices, not the ones that get TV ads.)

Either way, the usage (sales, in this case) split is different from the "market share" split, even in the US.

Your earlier post that iOS users likely average more disposable income is on the money, too, I'm sure. Apple is selling mid-to-high end, and Android sales have been more on the low-end. Once you get above the "free" price point that starts to really matter.

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
We (wife and I) switched to iOS recently. While she does miss a few things from Android, I miss only one thing, swype. Beyond that .. GOODbye Android.

sc4rf4c3

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
When I go to the site thismachine.info using my HTC One, it will always tell me that I'm using Safari as my browser. It doesn't matter what browser I use except Chrome which I don't use.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Your earlier post that iOS users likely average more disposable income is on the money, too, I'm sure. Apple is selling mid-to-high end, and Android sales have been more on the low-end. Once you get above the "free" price point that starts to really matter.

Using that to jump off - I'd be curious of what % of Android purchases were made by such phones as the S4, HTC One, Moto X (IE the higher end phones) vs not in a breakdown.

appleii.c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2013

Well, when it comes to OSes, i believe usage stats are more important than sales. Now if you were talking about iphones vs moto x's vs S4.. then sure, sales would be more important.

Also on another note, stats like this makes someone like myself question the validity of all the Android vs iOS reports. When reports show Android having a ~13% lead on iOS here in the U.S. yet usage stats show iOS with a significant lead, I wonder what they consider an android "activation", I wonder what exactly is being activated (USB Stick, a smart TV, etc), and i begin to doubt sales figures by some of those Android companies (*cough *cough Samsung *cough).

Havekk

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2008
ok...

So let me get this straight.. you guys are happy that people buy more stuff on iOS devices over Android devices? May I ask why? This constant fanboy flag planting **** is ruining what we all really love. Why must you chose sides?

I currently have an iPad 4 (mine) an iPad 3 (my sons) and an iPad Mini (wife). I also use a Samsung galaxy S4 phone and have a new nexus 7. My wife uses a Nexus 4. I get the best of everything. If an app comes out for iOS that is not on Android, I get it.

I must say that my Nexus 7 is my daily driver at this point. A tablet is extremely useful screen real estate for widgets and the iPad just doesn't have them. Does it mean I hate Apple? Nope. Sure doesn't.

And don't give me this Eco-system **** either. The apps I use everyday are both on my Nexus 7 and my iPad. We use Kindle for books, Evernote, Netflix, Amazon prime for movies and such and you can do it all from both. I have to say that if you buy all of your **** from just Apple.. you're an idiot and you're overpaying.

Furthermore... people who spend money on black Friday are not the kind of folks I want to model my life after. Perhaps morons who are willing to overpay for **** prefer Apple exclusively.

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
That is a very important point. Verifies that iOS users "use" the features of their OS.

Android users tend to be more "size matters." Features are an afterthought. :apple:

So browsing the internet is now considered "feature(S)"? A feature, yes, not plural. Not sure how you made the leap from the OP to the content in your post. I am amenable to being convinced. What features aren't they using? Even though I used my iPad to make purchases over the holiday weekend it doesn't mean your post is valid in it's assumption.

BTW Android users can be, and often are, iOS users as well. It's not an either/or proposition for most people.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011

Nowadays... people around the world are buying phones and they happen to be running some version of Android. That means they get counted in Google's activation numbers... even if they are only used for voice and text.

That might explain how Android can have 80% market share... but have very little online engagement.

I also think we're forgetting the huge number of Android phones sold in parts of the world that might not have good 3G access. Again... there's probably not much web browsing, ad impressions, mobile purchases or app downloads happening in those places.

Those people just bought a phone to be a phone... and it just happens to be running Android.

"Android market share" includes ALL phones running Android: from a $50 phone sold in a developing nation... to a $600 flagship phone.

There may be a lot of Android smartphones out in the world... but they're not all being used as smartphones.

I think you bring up some good points, especially about the 3G coverage in some parts of the world.

----------

This: iOS sent 66.62% of mobile site visits on Black Friday, while Android sent just 32.97% of the 9.3 million total visits. Android users are just too afraid to buy anything from their devices, and use the browser less than iOS users.

This doesn't prove what you have claimed.

----------

I bought hundreds of dollars of Black Friday stuff via an Amazon app on an Android tablet (our house iPad just broke).

No way, iPads never break. :D:D

----------

So let me get this straight.. you guys are happy that people buy more stuff on iOS devices over Android devices? May I ask why? This constant fanboy flag planting **** is ruining what we all really love. Why must you chose sides?

I currently have an iPad 4 (mine) an iPad 3 (my sons) and an iPad Mini (wife). I also use a Samsung galaxy S4 phone and have a new nexus 7. My wife uses a Nexus 4. I get the best of everything. If an app comes out for iOS that is not on Android, I get it.

I must say that my Nexus 7 is my daily driver at this point. A tablet is extremely useful screen real estate for widgets and the iPad just doesn't have them. Does it mean I hate Apple? Nope. Sure doesn't.

And don't give me this Eco-system **** either. The apps I use everyday are both on my Nexus 7 and my iPad. We use Kindle for books, Evernote, Netflix, Amazon prime for movies and such and you can do it all from both. I have to say that if you buy all of your **** from just Apple.. you're an idiot and you're overpaying.

Furthermore... people who spend money on black Friday are not the kind of folks I want to model my life after. Perhaps morons who are willing to overpay for **** prefer Apple exclusively.

Best post in thread! Kudos to you.

appleii.c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2013
Perhaps they are unconsciously scared that they aren't using the best device? No idea. But I agree with you. Who cares. I own tech from all brands and OSes. I enjoy using them all. Some excel in "x" area and others in "y" area. All have their positives and negatives.

Funny how you say Who cares, yet you are usually one of the first to start attacking anything Pro-Apple on this site.

Ahy do any of you care what kind of debate any two sides have? No one here is attacking anyone or being disrespectful, we are all just voicing our thoughts and opinions on a product we use and enjoy. And btw, everyone takes sides one way or another. We have a favorite sports team, preferred drink, vacation spot... anything. We are either Coke/Pepsi, PS4/Xbox, Honda/Toyota (or Acura/Lexus for some of you ritzier folk), Football/Football (soccer for the Americans here)... it's human nature to choose a side.

No need to come in and stir things up and calling people morons. Nothing wrong with a little fun and friendly debate.

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta

... using for voice and text. Where did you pull that from?

... very little online engagement. Less web traffic than Apple does not equal very little. It just means less.

... just bought a phone to be a phone. So, they told you their motivation?

... not being used as smartphones. Surfing the web is not the only use for smartphones. People use them for other things as well.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
But why? For all intents and purposes, ordering something online through Safari on your iPhone is exactly the same as ordering it through Safari on your Mac. As long as you're not infected with a keylogger, and the site you're ordering from has it's certs and security setup in working order, you're just as safe on one platform as you are on another.

Maybe I should mention that I wouldn't order something through a computer over WiFi as well. I don't trust the security of wireless technology, seeing how easy it is for even third rate hackers to break in WEP and WPA. I don't know if cell phone data packets are encrypted or not, but I doubt it's any more secure than WPA.

Call me paranoid, but jumping at shadows has kept my personal info personal.:cool:

All my online orders goes through wired Ethernet.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
A system is only as secured as the person using it. I've used XP (a mal-ware magnet) for years without ever being infected by a virus. Not even once. Same with Android. I've yet to see any of the multitudes of viruses that infect android devices.

That being said, I would never, EVER use a phone for any purchase. Not even to refill the prepaid minutes. I don't trust phones; and I never will.

I wouldn't necessarily call it just a phone. Do you order stuff with your laptop? How does your laptop make it more secure to purchase?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Funny how you say Who cares, yet you are usually one of the first to start attacking anything Pro-Apple on this site.

"attacking" is debatable. So are levels of caring. Often my care is fleeting. Often what is seen as my "care" is nothing more than disputing FUD or BS. That's different than caring about the actual issue and more about the propagation of crap :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.