Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewsd

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
USA/BAYERN(bavaria)
I know it's better then my five but not much. Although I'm not to concerned. I hammer my phones battery anyways. I am very taxing on it. I stream a lot of music and use the camera a lot for my work so if it's not in use it is usually plugged in either in my truck or at my house. I know though that I have no complaints about it when I am off in the field using it. There are times I'll be using it for almost an hour straight either:emailing,texting,taking photos or writing down notes all while I may be checking the weather with spotify streaming and I have no complaints.

My girlfriends 5c is phenomenal though. She's a normal user. Probably almost a light user of the phones capabilities though she is using more apps and such now but it's phenomenal.

chrmnxpnoy

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2013
Before sleeping
eza8ezy8.jpg

After waking up
tanevuze.jpg

Went to sleep with about 93% and in airplane mode and I woke up with just 21% remaining. This can't be normal :(

kh3khalid

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
Your WIFI is ON. Try it OFF.
Then compare

Even if it's on. My friend's iPhone 5s only drains like 1% even with wifi on.

I contacted Apple about the issue (my iPhone drains like 7-10% while sleeping) and they told me to do a restore and test it. i did that but the problem is still there. I'm going to contact them again.

jauui12

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2013
Is it good?

This is what I've been getting from my 5s (attached screenshot). Do you think this is good or not? If not, any tips on how to improve it at all? Thanks. :)

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    74.7 KB · Views: 84

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
I think the thing to note is the people with long standby figures have lower usage figures and vice versa, and we are all chasing high numbers for both lol.

iWooz

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2013
I realized something weird: Apparently the IPhone uses cellular data even when connected to WiFi! I registered some cellular data usage while WiFi is on. I guess this is also reflected in battery life. When I disable cellular data while on WiFi I get much longer usage:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 78

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Yes, LTE in most places and if not pretty good 3G.

I'm jealous of the battery life you're getting. I can barely get past 7.5 hours with my normal usage. Just checking twitter frequently, some texting, half of the day on Wi-Fi, the other half on LTE/4G. I can't go over 8 hours.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 79

Kaelbron

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2011
I have ordered my phone and I know you can use it directly without having to load but will it discharge to 0% on the first day?

Know that Apple recommends that you should fully discharge the battery once a month but not if you should start with it or not.

AntnyMikal

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2012
How's your iPhone 5S battery life

For the record my screen is on quite a bit as I read Flipboard a lot, MR, YouTube and do quite a bit of google searching and use it to control my Apple TV. I also use SBP Mobile to touch up artwork between my ipad, iPhone and Mac mini. Either way I still think if you can't get 8-9 hours of normal use and be at 10-20% there is something wrong! wether it be the the actual hardware or some kind of software drain somewhere.

Also there are other things I do to preserve battery, alerts don't repeat, screen @ 30-40%, no push or fetch accept on things I need. app refresh only ones I use. notifications only on things I need/use. This works for me as I check my phone regularly and don't need to see everything that everyone is doing on FB , twitter etc...

I full charge my battery, and full drain it and use battery doctor for full cycle at he end off every month (app reminder).

Maybe I'm just lucky, my Touch ID works 99.9% of the time! my ipad air has a perfect screen and I'm getting upwards of 12 hours use out of it even with some gaming, the mini retina I bought had a perfect screen and good battery life, and safari doesn't crash on me.

I'd try some reboots, restores and if that doesn't work I'd go see a genius. My ip4s was struggling to get 8 hours and would get warm/hot, I took it in showed how the battery was dropping pretty quick and received a replacement. After that I was getting 8-10 hours easy with same settings off restore. I did have to remove FB and reinstall it, it was doing something to the phone idk.

I don't want you to be jealous I want to help you solve the problem. Part of that is me sharing my experience and results, and giving suggestions. I'd go see about a new phone or replacement.

chrmnxpnoy

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2013
How's your iPhone 5S battery life

My iphone 5s was finally replaced at the apple store. They were very reluctant to replace my phone even after they showed me that my battery diagnostics came out fine. After bitching and complaining about my battery life and telling them it was a hardware issue and not a software issue they finally relented and issued a replacement. I then restored the backup they they said was problematic but I am getting excellent battery life. The phone hardware itself was the culprit as I was only getting 2 hours of usage time and 6 hours of standby omy previous phone.

This is my replacement phone usage and standby
ba7e5yze.jpg

I'm back to being a happy camper. My phone is a 64gb Verizon 5s.

Last edited:

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Don't be jealous. His screen is off probably 75% of the time...let your iPod play and watch those numbers above happen. We need "screen on" time like Android to really get the sense of usage since that's what kills battery most.

According to their post, this was their usage:

I don't know what it is but I've always had problems with the Facebook apps, even now that it isn't causing me any problems I'm always cautious to update it.

I'm on my phone quite a bit, but I don't really play any games. Lot of reading and streaming music and podcast, YouTube, and other media apps. A few calls here and there texting throughout the day. Photos etc.

Ringer: silent most or the time
Brightness: 20-40 auto
GPS: only on for a handful of apps/ iAds off
Wifi: always on
BT: only when needed/wanted
Notifications: only a handful show unless phone is unlocked/ no repeat as I check my phone often enough
Mail: push is only on for my professional account, fetch hourly everything else
Background refresh: handful of apps
Active apps: I always close anything I'm not using

I still think if your not getting at least 8-9 hours of reasonable/normal use something is wrong. On all my I devices if I don't get at least one hour for every 10% of normal use I look at taking it back if a fresh install or setup doesn't work.

Lots of reading and streaming music and YouTube, thus they are on cellular data.

If that was my usage, I probably couldn't go over 5-6 hours... Their usage sounds very similar to mine, in fact it sounds like they use their phone more than I do. I don't even have fetch/push enabled for mail and they do. Shouldn't I be getting at least 10 hours of usage?

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I have ordered my phone and I know you can use it directly without having to load but will it discharge to 0% on the first day?

Know that Apple recommends that you should fully discharge the battery once a month but not if you should start with it or not.

A lot of the "dos and don't" of how and when to charge/discharge batteries are holdovers from before the days of modern lithium ion and lithium polymer batteries. You can pretty much charge and discharge your battery however you want. For instance, when I received my 5s, it came with about 70% charge. I used it for a bit, bringing the charge down to about 60%, but then I charged it up to 100% right before bed to see how much power it would lose in standby overnight. It was still at 100% when I woke up about 6 hours later, but went to 99% pretty much as soon as I started using it.

Anyway, I think the only things that really hurt modern batteries (besides the obvious, like physical damage or temperature extremes) are overcharging (which most devices including the 5s don't let you do, as they are programmed to know when they are fully charged), TOTALLY discharging the battery (which again, modern devices don't let you do because they will shut themselves down when the charge is dangerously low), or not letting the battery charge/discharge regularly, which is typically not a problem with a mobile device that one probably uses daily.

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
According to their post, this was their usage:

Lots of reading and streaming music and YouTube, thus they are on cellular data.

If that was my usage, I probably couldn't go over 5-6 hours... Their usage sounds very similar to mine, in fact it sounds like they use their phone more than I do. I don't even have fetch/push enabled for mail and they do. Shouldn't I be getting at least 10 hours of usage?

I understand. Most of the time his screen is off. If he's on cellular data then his signal is very ideal, if not perfect.

Those stats just don't happen unless your screen is off and you're listening to music. Even my Note II (with twice the battery as the iPhone 5s) would barely last 12hrs with *screen on* time. So his stats are definitely possible.

In your case if your screen is off like his most of the time and you're still only getting 5-6hrs then something is wrong. Next time you can go without your phone see how long you can leave it off the charger at 100% then come back the next day. It shouldn't be less than 92-94%

Ruffian829

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2008
I'm have battery issues with my new 5s. The first one I had was awesome with battery life. I returned it due to fingerprint scanner issues. Now this phone my battery life is awful. I've followed tips for conserving battery life but I'm still watching it drain.

I don't use anything that would seem to drain the battery (and certainly nothing different from the previous 5s that I had). I hardly ever stream or play music, I occassionally surf the web and use the Facebook app. That's Pretty much it.

I'm at 49% with 2 hrs of usage and 4 hrs of standby.... That can't be normal?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 78

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
I'm have battery issues with my new 5s. The first one I had was awesome with battery life. I returned it due to fingerprint scanner issues. Now this phone my battery life is awful. I've followed tips for conserving battery life but I'm still watching it drain.

I don't use anything that would seem to drain the battery (and certainly nothing different from the previous 5s that I had). I hardly ever stream or play music, I occassionally surf the web and use the Facebook app. That's Pretty much it.

I'm at 49% with 2 hrs of usage and 4 hrs of standby.... That can't be normal?

If your screen was on most of that 2hrs then that is absolutely normal!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.