Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Finally!! Since Apple will start paying attention, we can finally see:
- iPhone with SD card slot, microUSB and user-replaceable battery for ~$350
- iMacs with easy access to RAM and HD.
- Themes, skins, and user selectable color schemes. Like iOS7 with iOS6 look.
- Mac between Mini and Pro.
- Everything starts at 8GB RAM and 256 GB SSD
- 20% (or more) price drops across the board.
Let's start tweetin' Market share will soon follow

kenmhaggerty

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2013
My completely uninformed opinion would see this best fit with Siri.

Of course, Siri (and all of its features) could be integrated into whatever content (e.g., TV, movies, music, apps, games, books) Apple feels would benefit from greater social IQ.

As a first iteration, guess something more along the lines of, "Siri, what are today's top news stories?" Right now Siri's response is, "OK. Here are some tweets:", but sentiment analysis could make Siri's response more intelligent, e.g., "People are excited about today's election." (I'm putting a *lot* of faith into the accuracy of Topsy's sentiment algorithms, but perhaps it could work.)

Social TV is best done on the micro level, so sentiment analysis wouldn't be helpful.

Also, it's not Apple's personality to do anything predictive a la Google Now or Clippy, so Topsy's technology will likely be unobtrusive.

Another use would be for internal monitoring of customer sentiment, both for marketing and for pinpointing customer service issues (e.g., if people like the new iWork, if a particular Apple Store has a bad reputation).

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

You drunk?

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Would've thought they could've hired some contractors to write the same kind of thing, for much less than $200 million.

Or, who knows... Topsy only has like two patents, but perhaps they're really good ones.

Well they do get a working team or teams this way and a ahead start on how ever it is they are going to use the tech/expertise.

Seems to me a company like that would have a lot of skilled people who could help Apple in web and back end services that always seem to be a weak part of their systems.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
My completely uninformed opinion would see this best fit with Siri.

Of course, Siri (and all of its features) could be integrated into whatever content (e.g., TV, movies, music, apps, games, books) Apple feels would benefit from greater social IQ.

As a first iteration, guess something more along the lines of, "Siri, what are today's top news stories?" Right now Siri's response is, "OK. Here are some tweets:", but sentiment analysis could make Siri's response more intelligent, e.g., "People are excited about today's election." (I'm putting a *lot* of faith into the accuracy of Topsy's sentiment algorithms, but perhaps it could work.)

Social TV is best done on the micro level, so sentiment analysis wouldn't be helpful.

Also, it's not Apple's personality to do anything predictive a la Google Now or Clippy, so Topsy's technology will likely be unobtrusive.

Another use would be for internal monitoring of customer sentiment, both for marketing and for pinpointing customer service issues (e.g., if people like the new iWork, if a particular Apple Store has a bad reputation).

I'd bet $100 that this acquisition is oriented around Siri. Both integrating social trends into Siri responses, and also perhaps as a back-end analytics platform so Apple can have a better sense of how people are interacting with Siri, and what the "best" responses that Siri provides are.

menithings

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Los Angeles

1996 called. It wants this message back.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
I hope they don't turn into Google. I like that Apple products aren't constantly trying to make me "use my full name".

----------

True dat. I'd rather not constantly see apps for PerksOfDatingMe, Beliebers, and football games.

It would need to be filtered by gender, age, and IQ. But then we'd still be stuck with football games :mad: Unless you're not American and mean the kind of football that you play with your foot. Then I wouldn't be mad.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
Tomorrow's headlines: Apple Acquires Social Analytics Firm Turvy for $200 Million.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Well they do get a working team or teams this way and a ahead start on how ever it is they are going to use the tech/expertise.

Seems to me a company like that would have a lot of skilled people who could help Apple in web and back end services that always seem to be a weak part of their systems.

I bet when a company is acquired they loose their ambition. Imagine you have a few genius people start a company, work their ass off, hire the smartest people they can, give them a stake in the company, and everyone dreams of going public or being bought out by Apple. Once it actually happens I think it takes all the fun out of it. The brightest people probably leave if they can, and what's left is a group of employees taking orders from strangers, feeling confused and frustrated, and preforming poorly.

mrhick01

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008

I do not agree that this would be a winning strategy. Cutting their prices 20 percent across the board with the dividends that they are paying would be catastrophic to profits...the financial analysts and mediots would concern-troll Apple to oblivion if they made such a move.

Why would Apple move away from Steve's philosophy and start spec-whoring like everyone else?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.