Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeeTheLights

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
This may be a stupid question, but the original iPad mini smart covers will work on the iPad mini retina correct?

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
This may be a stupid question, but the original iPad mini smart covers will work on the iPad mini retina correct?

Yeah, I had an original which works great on my iPad rMini, then I bought one of the new ones from 2013, and they don't lay flat, and they don't fold back right, causes the magnet to pop off. I returned the new and kept the old.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Yeah, I had an original which works great on my iPad rMini, then I bought one of the new ones from 2013, and they don't lay flat, and they don't fold back right, causes the magnet to pop off. I returned the new and kept the old.

Weird. Bad batch?

The new one that I picked up with my rMini from an Apple store works fine; lays flat on the front and back, folds up fine, magnet doesn't pop off, etc.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Weird. Bad batch?

The new one that I picked up with my rMini from an Apple store works fine; lays flat on the front and back, folds up fine, magnet doesn't pop off, etc.

Several from various stores. They all have issues some users tolerance level is just higher.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

My black one from this year works great! Last year I got a gray one and it kept popping off while using as a stand. The one on the Air works far better though... longer magnet, better hold.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
My black one from this year works great! Last year I got a gray one and it kept popping off while using as a stand. The one on the Air works far better though... longer magnet, better hold.

Agree to disagree. Try using a back cover with it and you'll find it a downgrade from last year.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Agree to disagree. Try using a back cover with it and you'll find it a downgrade from last year.

Try using my black Mini Cover on my last year's Mini? I returned my gray cover because I hated it so much last year. This year's version it seems to hold well on my rMini. Maybe they're just coming out in good/bad batches and it has nothing to do with the year it came out...

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Several from various stores. They all have issues some users tolerance level is just higher.

Sucks that you've had such bad luck.

Careful on the generalizations though; you could come off as arrogant if you claimed to know that all units have a problem and anyone who doesn't that isn't as discriminating as you. I'm assuming that's not what you meant to convey.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.