Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigpics

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2002
Rockland County, New York
Its a database app, so "database" type stuff, like creating a DB of collections of stuff you own, like movies or whatever. Businesses can use it for keeping track of inventory and such. Its probably overkill for most people.

Once I mastered a database program, it's so much more intuitive to me than using a spreadsheet when you really want to be able to massage your data and filter it in innumerable ways to produce all kinds of views and reports.

I can use spreadsheets when I have to, but I'm still mostly at sea in either Excel or Numbers in terms of getting stuff OUT of what I put in.

History, though, has shown I'm in the minority. So whatever, I guess.

DamFu

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
3 things:

FileMaker came first and is their flagship app/moneymaker. FileMaker is not a consumer driven product. Clearly, people weren't purchasing Bento at a high enough rate to sustain itself.

This does not even relate to my question. Thanks though.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
I wonder why Apple has never made FileMaker Pro available on the App Store.

Because Apple doesn't make it. FileMaker does. Apple may own FileMaker but they do not exert any control over the day to day operations. Also, it may violate some sandbox rules.

My boss has asked me in the past about replacing his ACT database. Is this something that could do that and be compatible on PCs and Macs?

Absolutely. It comes with templates too.

Its too expensive. Business costs are $2000+ because to get the great HTML5 features you need a server with seat licenses.

I have a friend who has a small 2 man plumbing buisiness. He needs a good database solution but can't see value in $2000.

Is this for the two employees to access? If so, just use two copies of FileMaker instead of the web and have one copy at the office share to the other. The Web interface is to mimic the FileMaker interface.

If it's for customers to access, why is $2000 too expensive. Is there something cheaper that does what you want? If so, use that.

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2001
My boss has asked me in the past about replacing his ACT database. Is this something that could do that and be compatible on PCs and Macs?

Definitely. Filemaker is transparent on both OS's. And the server works on Windows as well as Mac OS X. Or you could rent a hosting service.

trrosen

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2003
pricing themselves out of markets

Too expensive for who? You? It's database software for business use. Any real business wouldn't even blink an eye at $300 software that's going to help keep their business organized.
There are millions of businesses that will definitely blink at $329 per person. When your competition is free and essentially free (MySQL, Access) these prices just don't work. Yes I know both are inferior and will cost much more in upkeep and tech costs, but managers just see that they do the same tasks and the cost difference is huge.

----------

so Go has gone from free to $60 a year per person.

Way to kill your market FileMaker.

trrosen

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2003
Why No Client?

Filemaker is killing itself by not offering a client. Paying $329 per seat just to access a DB gets outrageous pretty quick. A web based open source solution costs a ton upfront but thats pretty much it with no huge charges for updates that add features that should have been added years ago. A $79 client would open up a lot of markets.

----------

What? Where did you read this?

you must buy extra licenses to use Go on server they are not included as regular clients anymore. $5 a month.

Welcome to the Filemaker Tax

Last edited:

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2001
you must buy extra licenses to use Go on server they are not included as regular clients anymore. $5 a month.

Welcome to the Filemaker Tax

That sounds awful. Do you have an URL?

The thing is that I am currently connected to my FM12 server with Filemaker Go 13. And I haven't paid a dime for FM Go.

You are sure about this?

The free FM Go for iOS is a killer, so I'm worried... :confused:

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Consumers won't use this. Most of what consumers would want out of something like this they can get in Numbers or Excel.

This is for business use or for power users who need more functionality.

I think there's a fuzzy line between 'consumer' (I hate that term) and 'business use', because FileMaker has always been a database app targeted mostly at small businesses. Mom & pop stores, a person who works for themselves or has a couple employees, that sort of thing. So, this product applies to a general audience.

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2008
Part of the old MR guard.
Its a database app, so "database" type stuff, like creating a DB of collections of stuff you own, like movies or whatever. Businesses can use it for keeping track of inventory and such. Its probably overkill for most people.

... How would you do that? Any examples (screenshots, ...)? Quite curious as to how someone would do this using FileMaker.

Consumers won't use this. Most of what consumers would want out of something like this they can get in Numbers or Excel.

This is for business use or for power users who need more functionality.

Yes but he did say that 'everyone should use/try(?-paraphrasing her) it', so I was quite curious as to what examples he could bring up.

I remember using FileMaker Pro 12(?) but that was just part of a course that I signed up for, and I learned mainly (and promptly forgot) how to make catalogue databases and all that, but aside from the business catalogues, I can't really imagine how I can really integrate it into my life.

RedBear

macrumors member
May 9, 2007
That sounds awful. Do you have an URL?

The thing is that I am currently connected to my FM12 server with Filemaker Go 13. And I haven't paid a dime for FM Go.

You are sure about this?

The free FM Go for iOS is a killer, so I'm worried... :confused:

FileMaker Go is still free, but they've got some new BS licensing scheme that talks about "concurrent connections" to FileMaker Server. Each "concurrent connection" from the web or FileMaker Go to FM Server requires an additional license fee. This apparently means that in order to serve 50 FM Go users at the same time (i.e., "concurrently") it will cost $10,044, or $279/month billed annually to the tune of $3,348. The licensing PDF talks about an unrestricted connection option if you need more than 50 concurrent connections, but it isn't selectable in the store, so I have no idea what sort of exorbitant price they want for unlimited connections. I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted somewhere in the neighborhood of $12-$15,000 for unlimited connections.

I'm a big fan of what can be accomplished with the FileMaker platform, but with this new licensing scheme they seem to have officially lost their minds. I'm sure it's objectively justifiable to some businesses who have a clear idea what they can do with FileMaker, but many businesses are going to take one look at these idiotic license prices and terms and laugh their asses off, then turn around and invest in SQL Server or something else.

If you just recently purchased FileMaker Server Advanced 12, I'd say count yourself lucky. Apparently it will be the last version of FileMaker Server that will serve large numbers of FM Go and web users without bankrupting your company with extra license fees for each additional simultaneous user.

The biggest problem with FileMaker (the company) has always been that they drink their own kool-aid and seem to believe that they have a captive market and therefore can keep their prices high and make improvements at a glacial pace. I really can't understand their thinking with this new licensing scheme. This new WebDirect thing had better be amazing or there may be a lot of folks abandoning the FileMaker platform pretty soon.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
There are millions of businesses that will definitely blink at $329 per person. When your competition is free and essentially free (MySQL, Access) these prices just don't work. Yes I know both are inferior and will cost much more in upkeep and tech costs, but managers just see that they do the same tasks and the cost difference is huge.

----------

so Go has gone from free to $60 a year per person.

Way to kill your market FileMaker.

"Millions of Businesses"? Nice how you think you know how everyone runs their business. Also there are a lot of small businesses that run on Macs. I don't think MySQL works with Macs or Access. Oh, a Virtual machine you say? Windows license $$$ plus the crappy MySQL, Access) software.

Every business has different needs and if you're running a high profit business with a great deal of inventory that needs managing $300 ain't ish.

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
Thanks for the info. I bought it on October 28th.... November 3rd is the cutoff.

That's pretty close in my opinion. I was more than a month outside of the window on 1Password for iOS and I contacted them anyway. They were kind enough to give me a redemption code.

For the price of FMP, I'd at least try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.