Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

punkassjim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Hey all. I recall seeing, for the original iPad mini, several sources for super-cheap plastic back shells. Like just a couple bucks or less per shell.

I used to get them from Tmart, as they had them with the smart cover cutout and without.

But I can't find anyplace that sells them cheap for the retina mini. Needs the hole for the microphone, and needs to fit the larger device thickness. I've been scouring the case roundup threads, and haven't found anything cheap. See my sig for why price is a factor.

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
Hey all. I recall seeing, for the original iPad mini, several sources for super-cheap plastic back shells. Like just a couple bucks or less per shell.

I used to get them from Tmart, as they had them with the smart cover cutout and without.

But I can't find anyplace that sells them cheap for the retina mini. Needs the hole for the microphone, and needs to fit the larger device thickness. I've been scouring the case roundup threads, and haven't found anything cheap. See my sig for why price is a factor.

I'm actually looking for a case for the back of the retina mini also. Something thin and light and comparable with the Smart Cover. I am hoping someone on these boards has some good suggestions.

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
There's a thread for a $1.99 cover that it will take you 15 seconds to make a hole in for the mic

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California

Attachments

• Poetic.jpg
    Poetic.jpg
    723.2 KB · Views: 131

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
If you're looking for something to resell, consider searching at DealeXtreme for a suitable item. Dx.com.

punkassjim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Has anyone gotten the DealXtreme back shell for mini retina yet? Their product photos look generic, and don't have the hole for the second microphone. Wondering if the product actually has it. Don't wanna wait 1-2 weeks to find out, then another 1-2 weeks for a bulk order to arrive. Their chat rep was no help at all.

PS, don't wanna drill the holes myself. Already got enough work on my plate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.