Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Olloclip has released a new 3-in-1 quick-connect macro photo lens for the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5, giving users the ability to shoot subjects up close with 7x, 14x, and 21x macro modes. The lens itself is designed from an anodized aluminum material that houses the coated, multi-element optics, and attaches to a device through a soft plastic material.
olloclip_macro_1.jpg
Here are 3 quick-change lenses of superior quality, designed for taking sharper close-up shots with the iPhone. The Macro 3-IN-1 is engineered to deliver more edge-to-edge clarity, greater depth of field, nicely diffused light on the image, and less pincushion distortion.
olloclip_macro_2.jpg
The lens also works with all photography apps, including the official Olloclip app [Direct Link] in both photo and video mode, and follows the release of a new Olloclip 4-in-1 quick connect photo lens this past October. The Olloclip 3-in-1 macro lens is compatible with the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s and is now on sale for $69.99 through Olloclip's official website.

Article Link: Olloclip Releases New 3-in-1 Macro Photo Lens for iPhone 5s and iPhone 5

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA
Interesting. I wasn't expecting this. Olloclip just released a new 4 in 1 lens kit and I assumed this article was referring to it and made the mistake of saying 3 in 1 instead of 4 in 1. When I had the 3 in 1 lens kit for my iPhone 4/4S, the Macro was the most used lens. These lenses are fun to use, unfortunately they only work on a bare iPhone (unless you use their expensive case). Thankfully that isn't an issue with my SPIGEN case which is easy to remove. With iPhone model designs historically changing every 2 years you have to consider the fact that this will probably not work on the next iPhone. I ended up selling my 4/4S Olloclip on eBay after I upgraded to an iPhone 5s.

Last edited:

perealb

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2009
These lenses are fun to use, unfortunately they only work on a bare iPhone
I used to have them for the 4S also. I agree, they are cool but the fact that they get obsolete on every iPhone form factor change, makes me give up on it. Someone needs to create an universal version of it...

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
2hf6f50.jpg

2cwv7lh.jpg

I had the original Olloclip and it was great. I've attached macro images from the new 4in1 Olloclip and the 5s which I'm very happy with.

This specialized macro clip may be good for my stocking! :)

Good product IMO.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
These should be designed to work on a bare phone and with an Apple iPhone case at minimum. I understand it can't work with just any case, but at least the one Apple provides would meet the needs of many people right there. I didn't like using this on my 4S with a naked phone so I quickly returned it.

The other downside is this becomes obsolete quickly. The lens should be universal. Just buy an adapter that fits with your current model phone. I wouldn't mind paying $10 for each new hardware change. But to spend 70 bucks every 2 years is a lot.

iAshley

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
These should be designed to work on a bare phone and with an Apple iPhone case at minimum. I understand it can't work with just any case, but at least the one Apple provides would meet the needs of many people right there. I didn't like using this on my 4S with a naked phone so I quickly returned it.

The other downside is this becomes obsolete quickly. The lens should be universal. Just buy an adapter that fits with your current model phone. I wouldn't mind paying $10 for each new hardware change. But to spend 70 bucks every 2 years is a lot.

Why buy a new adapter each year... All apple has to do is make a magnetic ring around the lens and allow attachments to magnetically stick to them, wouldn't matter which model iphone you had then.

PlainviewX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2013
I'm going to assume that this blocks the flash? If so, it's going to prove difficult to get close macro shots with normal indoor light.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
I'm going to assume that this blocks the flash? If so, it's going to prove difficult to get close macro shots with normal indoor light.
You assume correctly:

http://www.olloclip.com/about-us/tips-and-tricks/
The olloclip lens covers the flash and if you have the flash on you will see bright spots in your picture. The iPhone flash is not powerful enough to cover the wider angles that the olloclip provides.

Makes sense to me. Besides, I'd rather use other lighting to achieve the best possible macro shots anyway.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
$70 is ridiculous. There are knock-offs and alternatives (some with even better designs in my opinion) that cost $10-$20 per kit on ebay.

Yes I know it's from China, and quality-control will be slightly inferior, but QC doesn't legitimize such a huge markup when there are such alternatives readily available.

I'd buy from Olloclip rather than a random grey-market seller if it was $30, but $70 is simply too much.

In fact, this kit looks really nice and I like the magnetic attachment design much better. Look at everything it comes with! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnetic-De...er_Cell_Phone_Accessories&hash=item3a88430386

PlainviewX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2013
You assume correctly:

http://www.olloclip.com/about-us/tips-and-tricks/
The olloclip lens covers the flash and if you have the flash on you will see bright spots in your picture. The iPhone flash is not powerful enough to cover the wider angles that the olloclip provides.

Makes sense to me. Besides, I'd rather use other lighting to achieve the best possible macro shots anyway.

The past thing I'm thinking about when taking any photo with my phone is lugging around strobes or other lighting.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
The past thing I'm thinking about when taking any photo with my phone is lugging around strobes or other lighting.

Fair point. I've managed to take some pretty decent macro shots with my 4S without any extra equipment or apps:
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/mrgraff/misc/fly.jpg

I probably won't buy the Olloclip or even use my phone for macros anyway. I think that blocking the flash makes this particular accessory a bad idea.

This is a very interesting proposal by olloclip.

I wouldn't mind paying $10 for each new hardware change. But to spend 70 bucks every 2 years is a lot.

Why buy a new adapter each year... All apple has to do is make a magnetic ring around the lens and allow attachments to magnetically stick to them, wouldn't matter which model iphone you had then.

Agree with you both, a universal adapter would make much more sense and justify the cost!

In fact, this kit looks really nice and I like the magnetic attachment design much better. Look at everything it comes with! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnetic-De...er_Cell_Phone_Accessories&hash=item3a88430386

But for £299 ($475) you could get this beauty:
will-a-am-plus-genius-phone-02.jpg
:p

Lol- poor will-iam-not creative, innovative or realistic!

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Which provided Apple case?

Gary

I meant the one that Apple makes or labels as 'theirs'

----------

because I don't want my phone sticking to certain things

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
close up shots of eyes creep me out lol. I start flinching. Quality looks amazing.

----------

This is a very interesting proposal by olloclip.

Agree with you both, a universal adapter would make much more sense and justify the cost!

But for £299 ($475) you could get this beauty:
Image :p

Lol- poor will-iam-not creative, innovative or realistic!

No doubt will be a major hit with African warlords.

lens42

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2009
Better Macro for $10

The Olloclip price was way too high for me, and their macro is a bit overdone, so I designed one myself that can be printed on Shapeways. The whole thing is about $10, has a glass lens, and looks pretty slick if I do say so myself. Help yourself: http://shpws.me/q26I

iAshley

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
[/COLOR]

because I don't want my phone sticking to certain things[/QUOTE]

Ok so make the Macro lens with the magnet and apple just has to make the metal ring around the lens bigger or include a hidden one inside the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.