Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AudiA3

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2013
I decided to order a brand new car, but opt out of the navigation system because of my limited budget. I'm now wondering if there's any good car dock that looks nice when placed on the car's dashboard?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
"Looks nice" is highly subjective. I'd always recommend ProClip/Brodit froma functionality standpoint. However, I'd recommend using their device mounts with Panavise's brackets instead of ProClip's vehicle mounts. ProClip tends to rely on friction and double sided tape where Panavise securely bolts to the vehicle.

Don't overlook prior discussions as well.

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
I'm now wondering if there's any good car dock that looks nice when placed on the car's dashboard?

I love my Steelie for a simple phone mount.
http://www.niteize.com/product/Steelie-Car-Mount-Kit.asp

Pros:
Slick, low profile. Can be mounted lower than the top of dash so to not advertise the presence of your phone to everyone in the world.
Mounts by 3M adhesive that can be dissolved with alcohol
Adds a magnet to your phone (or phone case) that allows your phone to be stuck anywhere (bathroom stall, refrigerator, etc). And I have used that more than I ever thought I would.
Allows easy portrait or landscape orientation
Super quick pop on and off

Cons:
Mounts by 3M adhesive, if that bothers you
Adds a magnet to your phone, if that bothers you. I added the magnet to my Spigen ultra lite case and it actually gives the phone a slight heft that the 5/5S were always missing IMO. I don't think it detracts from the phone styling and actually makes it more ergonomic to hold in some ways. YMMV.
At $30, may be expensive for some.
Bluetooth is easiest, unless you have an interface cable long enough

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Here is one I have:
iOttie HLCRIO102 One Touch Windshield Dashboard Universal Car Mount Holder for iPhone 4S/5/5S/5C, Galaxy S4/S3/S2, HTC One DROID RAZR HD - Retail Packaging - Black
http://amzn.com/B007FHX9OK
I've got one of the other iOtties. This thing suctions amazing to the dusty ass dashboard of my Jeep Wrangler, and I love the gazillion different positions it can do. I usually have it hold my iPhone a little below the dashboard level.

I also like how it can close up on itself when you're not using it, so it looks more like a thick hockey puck vs. a weird arm sitting their without a purpose. Third picture on the left, if you look at the Amazon page.

http://www.amazon.com/iOttie-HLCRIO104-Windshield-Dashboard-Holder/dp/B0099RGRT8/ref=pd_cp_cps_0

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
I've got one of the other iOtties. This thing suctions amazing to the dusty ass dashboard of my Jeep Wrangler, and I love the gazillion different positions it can do. I usually have it hold my iPhone a little below the dashboard level.

I also like how it can close up on itself when you're not using it, so it looks more like a thick hockey puck vs. a weird arm sitting their without a purpose. Third picture on the left, if you look at the Amazon page.

http://www.amazon.com/iOttie-HLCRIO104-Windshield-Dashboard-Holder/dp/B0099RGRT8/ref=pd_cp_cps_0

Iottie has some great designs. OP I think iottie is what you are looking for:)

AudiA3

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2013
I love my Steelie for a simple phone mount.
http://www.niteize.com/product/Steelie-Car-Mount-Kit.asp

Pros:
Slick, low profile. Can be mounted lower than the top of dash so to not advertise the presence of your phone to everyone in the world.
Mounts by 3M adhesive that can be dissolved with alcohol
Adds a magnet to your phone (or phone case) that allows your phone to be stuck anywhere (bathroom stall, refrigerator, etc). And I have used that more than I ever thought I would.
Allows easy portrait or landscape orientation
Super quick pop on and off

Cons:
Mounts by 3M adhesive, if that bothers you
Adds a magnet to your phone, if that bothers you. I added the magnet to my Spigen ultra lite case and it actually gives the phone a slight heft that the 5/5S were always missing IMO. I don't think it detracts from the phone styling and actually makes it more ergonomic to hold in some ways. YMMV.
At $30, may be expensive for some.
Bluetooth is easiest, unless you have an interface cable long enough

Dang, this would be nice... but seems like I have to sacrifice a lot by carrying the magnet stucked on my phone all the time... :mad:

Mobile923

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY
Suction mounts... suck. No pun intended.
Vent mounts... they're okay if the vent isn't being used, or you can switch off individual ones. During the winter time, constant hot air blowing at your phone can damage it.

I got a Mountek CD Slot Mount: http://www.mountek.com

timthumb.php

It doesn't damage the CD player at all, you can still play a CD while the mount is on.

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Dude, that thing looks amazing!

It's pretty sturdy for such a little thing. Holds my iPhone rock solid

Except for the fact that it is covering an air vent! Structural and climate control implications aside, it may be an OK solution for some. But "amazing"?

How is it a structural problem? Also it's not like this is the only vent mounted solution out there.

I wonder how many car crashes resulted from focusing on an iPhone screen mounted at air vent level.

No more so that any other mount i assume. Windshield mounts i personally find unsafe which is why i won't use one, and cup holder mounts or just sitting on the passenger seat would require people to take their eyes off the road for longer than just glancing at a vent mount.

Either way, the only operation of my phone that happens while i'm driving is changing songs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.