Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
For optimum performance and speed.

Trust me, no placebo.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
So basically, completely undermining the learning characteristics of the TouchID sensor.

Sounds legit. :rolleyes:

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I actually think this is a sound idea. My 5S's, as well as my wife's, TouchID functions considerable worse since we bought them over a month ago.

Since the hardware isn't obviously changing, I blame it on the "learning" ability of TouchID because it was working flawlessly for the first 2 weeks. I actually don't know what needs to be "learned" if it was already working over 95% of the time. Besides, if you took a very high-resolution "photo" of my whole finger once, how exactly would this photo improve if you took it 500 more times, especially if you're taking these extra photos under sub-optimal conditions (wet finger, freezing/hot finger, soiled finger, etc)?

joshdammit

Suspended
Mar 6, 2013
I actually think this is a sound idea. My 5S's, as well as my wife's, TouchID functions considerable worse since we bought them over a month ago.

Since the hardware isn't obviously changing, I blame it on the "learning" ability of TouchID because it was working flawlessly for the first 2 weeks. I actually don't know what needs to be "learned" if it was already working over 95% of the time. Besides, if you took a very high-resolution "photo" of my whole finger once, how exactly would this photo improve if you took it 500 more times, especially if you're taking these extra photos under sub-optimal conditions (wet finger, freezing/hot finger, soiled finger, etc)?

It's not taking a photo of your fingerprint. You're forming an opinion of the technology based on doubt and misinformation.

Touch ID works. I scanned my fingerprint once and never had to do so again (aside from adding fingers.) Any time it doesn't work it's because I put my finger on it at a weird angle... and the next time I used that angle again, it worked. Yes, I specifically tested it out.

Thanks for sharing your wife's testimony, instead of your own, but she's either imagining the problem, she's doing it wrong (eg. When she scanned her fingerprint the first time perhaps she didn't do it at different angles like instructed) or her device is faulty. You don't need to reset your finger print every month.

Touch ID works.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
It's not taking a photo of your fingerprint. You're forming an opinion of the technology based on doubt and misinformation.

Touch ID works. I scanned my fingerprint once and never had to do so again (aside from adding fingers.) Any time it doesn't work it's because I put my finger on it at a weird angle... and the next time I used that angle again, it worked. Yes, I specifically tested it out.

Thanks for sharing your wife's testimony, instead of your own, but she's either imagining the problem, she's doing it wrong (eg. When she scanned her fingerprint the first time perhaps she didn't do it at different angles like instructed) or her device is faulty. You don't need to reset your finger print every month.

Touch ID works.

Thanks for posting a response based on doubt and misinformation.

First, why in the world would you think this is my wife's experience only? If mine worked like it should, why in hell would I write so much about it? That's a really dumb thing to say.

Second, TouchID is supposed to learn by assimilating a multitude of alternative images of your fingerprint. How else would it work.

Lastly, it's really sad that you sat down and tried multiple finger angles while trying to test TouchID.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Absolutely no problems with my Touch ID. And will not reset it later unless it goes wacko on me. ;)

Last edited:

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
So basically, completely undermining the learning characteristics of the TouchID sensor.

Sounds legit. :rolleyes:

It wouldn't surprise me if the learning characteristics can mess things up over time due to any number of factors. I had a lot of trouble with TouchID this weekend, but have not reset it yet.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I've had my phone for about 2 weeks now. Many unlocks per day, and I'd say it successfully reads any of the 4 fingers I've programmed at least 95% of the time. Never failed with a second touch.

I'd say that's no cause to complain.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I've had my phone for about 2 weeks now. Many unlocks per day, and I'd say it successfully reads any of the 4 fingers I've programmed at least 95% of the time. Never failed with a second touch.

I'd say that's no cause to complain.

For some reason, the problems with TouchID don't develop until week 2-4 (or later). You're still in your honeymoon period.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
For some reason, the problems with TouchID don't develop until week 2-4 (or later). You're still in your honeymoon period.

We'll see. Millions of people have bought the 5s since launch and I haven't heard of widespread touchID issues.

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
Nobody is saying Touch ID doesn't work. Nobody is saying it is required to reset for it to "work".

But for OPTIMAL performance and OPTIMAL speed, resetting is the way to go.

jasonv1

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2009
I haven't reset it yet, but performance isn't as good as when I got it 2 months ago. Cleaning the button does seem to help when I am having issues.

AbeFrohman

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
For people complaining about TouchID being hit & miss, try this simple trick:

Scan the same finger for two of the registered fingerprints. (I suppose you could go nuts and scan it for three of them ... or more)

I did that with my right thumb (the finger I use 95% of the time to unlock) and it greatly improved the performance.

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA
The accuracy of TouchID on my 5s has been excellent (got my 5s on Sept 25th), I just have both my thumbs registered. The only TouchID issue I have had is when it stops working altogether (no "try again" or anything) and it turns out the official Twitter app was causing that issue. Since I deleted the official Twitter app back in Nov 14th I have not had a single problem with TouchID. Only the occasional "try again" which usually only requires me to lift my finger and try again.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida

End of fourth week, and still have not had an issue. Not one. I do wipe the touch sensor every now and then. ;)

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
For people complaining about TouchID being hit & miss, try this simple trick:

Scan the same finger for two of the registered fingerprints. (I suppose you could go nuts and scan it for three of them ... or more)

I did that with my right thumb (the finger I use 95% of the time to unlock) and it greatly improved the performance.

^^THIS. For whatever reason, this works. If this is the only thing that I have to do on a 1st year product. I'm happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.