Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Curtis 92

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
Hello people I have got a Laptop PC with 320GB hard drive installed and I want to swap it with my current 120GB hard drive on my Macbook... So for the 320GB hard drive i’ll have to format that to Mac OS Extended? Then with the 120GB i’ll have to format it to NTFS?

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Hello people I have got a Laptop PC with 320GB hard drive installed and I want to swap it with my current 120GB hard drive on my Macbook... So for the 320GB hard drive i’ll have to format that to Mac OS Extended? Then with the 120GB i’ll have to format it to NTFS?

The drive that will go into the mac should be partitioned as GUID and formatted as Mac OSX Extended (Journaled) and the drive that will go into the Windows PC should be Partitioned as MBR and formatted as NTFS or FAT32.

WildCard^

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2013
MBR = Master Boot Record.

But you don't need to know that. When you swap the drives, I assume you will be doing fresh installs of the respective OSs from DVD or Flash drive?

If yes, the OS installer will guide you through it.

If no, then I am not sure what you are up to and you should explain more. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.