Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I'd really like to bridge my Apple ecosystem and have a consumption device that's bigger and has more capacity than my iPhone, but a new iPad is a little more than I can afford as a college student. I'm not opposed to refurbished for the iPad or used either; my boyfriend just picked up a used first gen 16gb iPad mini for $150, and it's in very nice shape. There aren't too many on craigslist in my area now, but I expect there will be more around Christmas.

Any suggestions? The current refurb price for a 32gb is still a little high for me. Will it drop once the retina models start appearing in the refurb store? Anyone seen any good deals around? Thanks!

Edit: I should mention that I'm interested in wi-fi only. The VZW family plan I'm on probably doesn't have enough data.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I'd say refurb is your best bet if you can come up with the cash, because you will get a 1 yr. warranty with the device. If that's not important to you there is nothing wrong with buying used as long as you make sure it's in good working condition before you hand over the money. After Christmas should as you say see an uptick in people selling there old devices. Craigslist at least in my area always has iPads for sale. Have you checked eBay and other online retailers? Amazon also sells used iPads.

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
I would prefer a refurb from Apple for two reasons. One would be the aforementioned 1-year warranty with Apple, the other would be the fact that Apple replaces the casing and the battery on all refurbished iPads.

Plus if you're buying used, you don't necessarily know where that tablet's been. :p

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I'd also suggest a refurb. First, if you have a discover credit card, you can go through shopdiscover.com to go to Apple and get 5% online shopping cash back plus 5% Apple ShopDiscover cash back. Second, warranty and new case/battery as mentioned.

Last edited:

CreamyItalian

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2013
I would prefer a refurb from Apple for two reasons. One would be the aforementioned 1-year warranty with Apple, the other would be the fact that Apple replaces the casing and the battery on all refurbished iPads.

Plus if you're buying used, you don't necessarily know where that tablet's been. :p

Only 35% of people use their tablet in the bathroom? Has to be more than that. I bought mine primarily for tinker stinker time.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Regarding craigslist - when I was considering a used mini1 I watched CL for a while and contacted a few sellers.

All of the "reasonably" priced ones listed were just slimebags pitching penny-auctions.

While I'm sure there are deals to be found, my personal experience was that it'd take a lot more time and effort watching for them than it was worth to me.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Regarding craigslist - when I was considering a used mini1 I watched CL for a while and contacted a few sellers.

All of the "reasonably" priced ones listed were just slimebags pitching penny-auctions.

While I'm sure there are deals to be found, my personal experience was that it'd take a lot more time and effort watching for them than it was worth to me.

There are a fair number of those in my area. There are also some legitimate good deals. Just have to wait and see what happens in the next few weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.